Levi Santana

“Newbie” is correct
Apr 1, 2019
Ventura County
Name
Levi Santana
Boat
None
Hello everyone! I am looking for a conventional/baitcasting reel that I can use for offshore kayak fishing. My budgets is $100, maybe $125. The main species I fish for are yellowtail, kelp bass, rockfish, halibut, and sometimes lingcod. I don’t plan on using super heavy sinkers or jigs (maximum probably 4 ounces), so I don’t need a super low gear ratio. I am preferably looking for something that can hold about 300-400 yards of 40 lb braid. Thanks in advance!

muledeer07

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 30, 2008
USA
Name
Wade
Boat
None
For your price point, the old reliable Daiwa Sealine. For what you want either the 40 or 50. Easy casting lasts forever I would recommend the SHS high speed model at 6.1-1. I have the 20,30,40 and 50 there going on 15 years all I've done is replaced the drag washers with Carbon fiber. They've caught everything. Should be able to find a deal on them between 110 and 125.

Amadeus

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
Offshore in a kayak...the probability of a reel dunking is significantly higher. A reel with bushings, no bearings is better suited.

"Close" to you is this CL posting:
https://ventura.craigslist.org/spo/d/oak-view-penn-fishing-reels-oldies-but/6882668130.html

The Penn 500 Narrow would be very suitable, but you will have to be very diligent when thumbing line during the retrieve to not slip the 40lb braid into the gap between the spool and inner plate rings. So far in 9 years because I been cognizant of the gap, I have yet to cause this mishap on my Penn 27 with 50lb braid.

If you do get it, do this:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20.0
...the service needs to be done to ANY used reel.

Reactions: double_entendre

Levi Santana

“Newbie” is correct
Apr 1, 2019
Ventura County
Name
Levi Santana
Boat
None
For your price point, the old reliable Daiwa Sealine. For what you want either the 40 or 50. Easy casting lasts forever I would recommend the SHS high speed model at 6.1-1. I have the 20,30,40 and 50 there going on 15 years all I've done is replaced the drag washers with Carbon fiber. They've caught everything. Should be able to find a deal on them between 110 and 125.
Looks solid, thanks.