jbl_91762

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
I have always fished spinning reels but purchased a Penn Fathom 30 conventional on a 8.5' Terramar MHF. I have watched tons of videos on youtube and I have made the proper adjustments with the fall. I went to the park and tried casting and only using a 1 oz led weight and can not cast it further then a measly 25-30ft. and it keeps going to the right ( I cast from left side using side cast). When I try over head Its even worse. Please help is it the lead weight too light? I will try next time going heavier but I got very frustrated birdcasting just about every cast. I hope I didnt make a mistake on purchasing trying to make the jump to conv over spinning. Thanks

clevel

Skipper
Jun 4, 2011
Laguna Niguel
Name
Cabo Jack
Boat
Cobia 261
1oz is tough to get it out on a Penn 30 with MH rod. Also what line test are you using? Any line over 20 lbs will also be difficult to throw a 1oz weight.Plus you are probably tossing with a dry line. Get a spray bottle and keep your line on your spool wet. In a nut shell, move up to a heavier weight...2 oz or more , or move to lighter tackle.

• Wow
Reactions: David G

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
Thanks I forgot about that video and he reminded me to wet line so thanks Gents! I got the conventional set up with 65lb braid and is my 50lb set up. I will try the heavier weights and wetting line and report back.

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Are you trying to cast the 1oz weight like you should a sardine or like you should for a lure? Two different methods.

Reactions: Cubeye

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
Are you trying to cast the 1oz weight like you should a sardine or like you should for a lure? Two different methods.
Well yes....till I watched the above video on how to cast sardine. Any other help would be appreciated.

I just got back from the park for another practice session with better results. I poured water on the lines and went to a 2 oz. Much better results but work in progress. Brought along my Lexa400 and could cast that a mile but that has magnets to fine tune.

• Wow
Reactions: David G

4L2NA

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 14, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Name
Larry
Boat
25' Davis RHLC, D4, FinAddict
I had the same problem, especially casting sardines. I'm still not great, but a lot better than before. I weighed some sardines(with a small 1 hook) that I have for frozen bait,,,that comes out to be about .5 oz.. I took a swivel and o ring..that weighed out to be .5 oz, practiced casting with that. Really sucked at first, but eventually got better. Advantage was since I sucked so bad, I could practice in the backyard, across the pool. Next I switched the casting hardware to a plastic swimbait, insert a cheapo hook and cut the hook (pointy end and bend) off..I want the weight to be .5 -.4 oz .. The increased windage is a little more challenging, but probably more real world.

Some maybe helpful things that I noticed that are realevent to casting a sardine:
-you need to wet your line first, like Frank says in the video
-for casting light stuff, think of a lob stopping at about 1:30
-raise your shoulder during the swing and rotate slightly inward,
-don't try to power drive the cast, it will only cut your distance, it is more about finesse and the coordination of a lot of fine movements
- be sure to practice with the normal set up that you use, ie braid with short leader (~5'), keep knot out of rod eyes
- the Penn Fathoms have pretty good freespool, but when casting the light stuff, I kick the spool forward at the beginning of the cast,
- you may want to tweeck your reel adjustments a bit
-if you have the room, an underhand lob is a lot easier, as you end up pointing the rod up, easier to get more distance,
- here's another good you tube vid: - if you ever get a chance to catch Jamie @ Bob Sands Fishing Tackle he is a wealth of knowledge on the biomechanics of casting both conventionals and spinners
-it's actually not that complicated, I'm sure that you'll get it a lot faster than me, I'm left handed and have the dexterity of a lizard...lol
-You just have to keep practicing it will all click eventually
-now if you are chucking jigs, the added weight will load your rod up to make it a bit easier to cast, but still practice to perfect the technique.
Hope this helps, sorry about the long winded post...must be the wine...

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
Wet line
Practice Practice Practice
Start with heavier weight. Then go lighter and lighter
If you're gonna be fishing sportboats practice over hand more than sidearm
Roll reel to the side during casting

Chicago Pete

Jan 17, 2012
Homewood
Name
Peter D Womack
Boat
None
I learned on a Jigmaster in the 70's. The thumb screw take apart was great confidence builder. I knew if I backlashed, and I knew I eventually would, it would only take a few minutes to get back to fishing.

Reactions: tbev

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
SoCal
Name
tom
Boat
Skipjack 24
They way you lay the line back on the reel is absolutely crucial as well. If you are not laying the line tight on the spool it will not come off nicely and will birdsnest. If you have a jig in the water and your reeling it in the line will have tension on it. If your practicing on the grass or whatever you'll need to pinch the line to create tension as you lay it on the spool, you'll never get a good cast without the line being packed on the reel prior to launching it. I just got a bv2-400 and a rce-monter800, I'm trying to get good at casting it as well, good luck.

pmurphy

Jan 8, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
Name
Pat
Boat
Hobie kayak
Definitely learn with mono. Maybe try casting overhead and focusing on not getting a backlash. Gradually cast farther if you have conquered the backlash at shorter distance. I think that this is much more efficient than casting for distance and solving the backlash problem second.