CAPTAIN | TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS
Has Moderator Powers
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle
Name
TOMMY DONLIN
Boat
DEFIANCE GUADALUPE 290 CORNIVOROUS
GUYS...I'm SICK. There is only one FIX and that is the TUNA GROUNDS. It's getting bad, worse than ever before. Usually, after a TUNA run, I've fed the need and I am at peace for a few days, sometimes a week. Lately, I get this uneasy feeling as land comes into sight. I'm completely consumed and stacking TUNA is all I can think about. It could be because my Defiance Guadalupe is being built right now and all I can think about is 115 gallons of water filled with 4 scoops of bait? or the 52 rod holders it will have? or the additional fish box that no other Lupe has? I don't know...but I do know this......I AM CONSUMED!

Suited up and headed back for another round this last wknd. Leaving my house at 2AM and getting home at 12AM doesn't phase me anymore. There is not one ounce of TIRED in me after a TUNA run, no matter how rough the water. Halibut Herb was gracious enough to have me on his boat this wknd to feed the inner primordial beast. I got there early and stood outside of Westport Seafoods, tote in truck, waiting for someone...ANYONE....to show up and fill the tote. I walked through the complex, searching, and finally found one willing soul. ICE...CHECK....hardly past the 5AM mark.

Loaded the gear on the boat before Herb and Christie even woke up. You see the problem now right? I know this isn't normal. I would live on the ocean if I could or maybe even in it! IT IS HOME!

Hit the bait dock and greeted Jose and Jose the jefe, discussing the Tani Rae and producing choves for the fleet. Got some great bait and ROLLED OUT!

What a beautiful morning with clear skies and bright sun. Bar was restricted to 26' and the USCG stopped by to greet us and let us pass. Love those guys and gals.

I was grinning from ear to ear. One of our crew members was grinning too but not for the same reason...

Sometimes you gotta pay dues to experience one of the hottest fisheries in the world. I would pay those dues every day if I had to.

The ride offshore had some 8'ers but they were spaced out at 10 seconds, no big deal. I watched the horizon as we continued offshore, looking for that first sign of life, working my eyes right to left and back, near and far. We finally hit the temp break and started working the area. The clear skies and waning gibbous had turned the gain on the bite down a few steps.

Working into the afternoon, we drew first blood!

We fished deep meter marks and got them to come up. Threw some extra weight on and got the baits deep!

Rich was a tuna virgin and ate that first heart like a champ! He grew up fishing every wknd with his Dad on the great lakes. I would fish with him any day. He was in awe from the second he hooked up. He appreciated every second of the day and every detail. Those are the people I like to fish with.

I worked the iron feverishly and PINNED one on!

We continued to make drifts over the school and hammer away at them.

Herb worked this fish for several minutes as it stayed well away from the boat until the very end!

HOGZILLA!

The bite was slow but consistent. I enjoyed every second and the fish were SUPERSIZED! We got to a point where we were down to a couple baits left and Christie said "we just need one more!" I grabbed a rig...

And blasted a swimbait into the wind...WAY into the wind. I left the bail open and put in the rod holder. Then I grabbed another Fin-Nor 5500 spinner with vertical jig and casted into the wind as well. I let it sink out and began working it to the boat. I watched the spinner with the swimbait....watched it... and all of a sudden, it hit high gear and LINE WAS FLYING OFF THE SPOOL! I put the jig rod down, flipped the bail on the swimbait rig, watched it bend over, and picked it up. I'M ON!!!

BOOM!!!

I got the call for last fish and delivered. Time to turn tail and head back to land. With the swell at our "6", we enjoyed a pleasant ride back. The sunset helped me realize how lucky we truly are to have this fishery and do what we do. Very few people in the world see what we see and experience what we experience!

We're going to get a south blow, but I'm ready to roll.....they're still here. Gettum while you can! TIGHT LINES MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS!

TOMMY

Sea Sport

Made in Washington
Sep 8, 2014
Auburn, WA
Name
Chuck Masonic
Boat
Excalibur-2700 Sea Sport Pilot-
And they said "Who is that masked man"? He sure has a talent with pictures and a silver tongue. Forget about the bullets!
I've got to see that boat!

TooManyHobbies

The guy that makes the glass stuff
May 10, 2010
White trashville
Name
Garrett
Boat
21' SeaRay Laguna CC "Sea 'Scape"
Ya know, they make this shit called 'sunscreen'....

Nice pics Tommy. I'm addicted in the worst way too, and find myself scrutinizing the forecast and the chloro shots over and over... I love the time I get to spend on the ocean; I just wish I had the $$ to buy a bigger boat as this year has been a windy bitch and kept me off the water more than once.

Oh well, sooner or later on the new boat.. Maybe we'll get a shot at 'em next week!

Reactions: Corey G

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Another great report. I hope Herb didn't troll too much... :)

Corey G

Boat ho extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2010
Tacoma, Wa USA
Name
Corey Guild
Boat
Gravy
Epic report brother! The only cure for the sickness we have is to go again. And again. And again. And again..................

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
Epic report brother! The only cure for the sickness we have is to go again. And again. And again. And again..................

While I don't disagree, taking up big game hunting helps with the sickness. I completely forgot about tuna last weekend when I was in a stand off with a Bull Moose at 20yds. Maybe that's just me though.

Nice report Tommy.

Waterdog~

Just one more
Sep 1, 2009
Hollywood
Name
Brian
Boat
Tiderunner
The original title of the post was "PUT THE TROLL ROD DOWN AND NO ONE GETS HURT!" LOL![/QUOTE

Our motto is: "Hell no, We wont Troll"LOL
Great Report

Reactions: wdlfbio

KillerBeee

Salt Water Aficionado
Jan 26, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
Name
Dave
Boat
18.5 Tiderunner KillerBeee
Glad you got to scratch that itch with the great people on the Herb mobile...They're always a hoot to be around.

Reactions: Cornfed

zzz

May 20, 2008
Issaquah, WA
Name
Kurt
Boat
23' Grady White "ZingFisher"
Fun report. Thanks for sharing. My wife thinks my fishing addiction is bad but you have me beat by a long shot!

Reactions: Cornfed

masterrep

Sep 14, 2009
Federal Way WA
Www.Customplusdistributing.com
Name
Bob Oliver
Boat
26 ft North River OS
GUYS...I'm SICK. There is only one FIX and that is the TUNA GROUNDS. It's getting bad, worse than ever before. Usually, after a TUNA run, I've fed the need and I am at peace for a few days, sometimes a week. Lately, I get this uneasy feeling as land comes into sight. I'm completely consumed and stacking TUNA is all I can think about. It could be because my Defiance Guadalupe is being built right now and all I can think about is 115 gallons of water filled with 4 scoops of bait? or the 52 rod holders it will have? or the additional fish box that no other Lupe has? I don't know...but I do know this......I AM CONSUMED!

Suited up and headed back for another round this last wknd. Leaving my house at 2AM and getting home at 12AM doesn't phase me anymore. There is not one ounce of TIRED in me after a TUNA run, no matter how rough the water. Halibut Herb was gracious enough to have me on his boat this wknd to feed the inner primordial beast. I got there early and stood outside of Westport Seafoods, tote in truck, waiting for someone...ANYONE....to show up and fill the tote. I walked through the complex, searching, and finally found one willing soul. ICE...CHECK....hardly past the 5AM mark.

Loaded the gear on the boat before Herb and Christie even woke up. You see the problem now right? I know this isn't normal. I would live on the ocean if I could or maybe even in it! IT IS HOME!

Hit the bait dock and greeted Jose and Jose the jefe, discussing the Tani Rae and producing choves for the fleet. Got some great bait and ROLLED OUT!

What a beautiful morning with clear skies and bright sun. Bar was restricted to 26' and the USCG stopped by to greet us and let us pass. Love those guys and gals.

I was grinning from ear to ear. One of our crew members was grinning too but not for the same reason...

Sometimes you gotta pay dues to experience one of the hottest fisheries in the world. I would pay those dues every day if I had to.

The ride offshore had some 8'ers but they were spaced out at 10 seconds, no big deal. I watched the horizon as we continued offshore, looking for that first sign of life, working my eyes right to left and back, near and far. We finally hit the temp break and started working the area. The clear skies and waning gibbous had turned the gain on the bite down a few steps.

Working into the afternoon, we drew first blood!

We fished deep meter marks and got them to come up. Threw some extra weight on and got the baits deep!

Rich was a tuna virgin and ate that first heart like a champ! He grew up fishing every wknd with his Dad on the great lakes. I would fish with him any day. He was in awe from the second he hooked up. He appreciated every second of the day and every detail. Those are the people I like to fish with.

I worked the iron feverishly and PINNED one on!

We continued to make drifts over the school and hammer away at them.

Herb worked this fish for several minutes as it stayed well away from the boat until the very end!

HOGZILLA!

The bite was slow but consistent. I enjoyed every second and the fish were SUPERSIZED! We got to a point where we were down to a couple baits left and Christie said "we just need one more!" I grabbed a rig...

And blasted a swimbait into the wind...WAY into the wind. I left the bail open and put in the rod holder. Then I grabbed another Fin-Nor 5500 spinner with vertical jig and casted into the wind as well. I let it sink out and began working it to the boat. I watched the spinner with the swimbait....watched it... and all of a sudden, it hit high gear and LINE WAS FLYING OFF THE SPOOL! I put the jig rod down, flipped the bail on the swimbait rig, watched it bend over, and picked it up. I'M ON!!!

BOOM!!!

I got the call for last fish and delivered. Time to turn tail and head back to land. With the swell at our "6", we enjoyed a pleasant ride back. The sunset helped me realize how lucky we truly are to have this fishery and do what we do. Very few people in the world see what we see and experience what we experience!

We're going to get a south blow, but I'm ready to roll.....they're still here. Gettum while you can! TIGHT LINES MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS!

TOMMY

Great report Tommy looking forward to seeing your new boat on the water next season.

Woodya

Na na
Jun 3, 2014
Redmond
Name
Randy
Boat
GW 272 Sailfish
Oh great,
What your saying is this is a disease that's just gets worse!!
My fix lasts 2-3 days and I'm jonesin again.... I'm in trouble

Awesome report
Fish on

Tuna-Tic

Born to kill Tuna.
Sep 5, 2011
Curtis
Name
Chris
Boat
Freelancer !!
Nice report !!
Been out six times this year and still don't feel like I have the itch completely scratched. One thing I've found to help a bit is watching the wind gauge today.