Irishman

Irishman
  • Jul 20, 2004
    La Mesa
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    n/a
    Barely keeping my eyes open as I type this. Left Friday morning at 11am, stoked it’s a 1.75 day trip as I knew we could limit for two days and I’d have one full night at the rail. I’ve been jonesing for a trip like this for a while. Got to the landing at 9:40am, wanted to make sure I could get a spot to park. Lucky enough to find a spot two spots down from a guy loading a dock cart. Ask if he’s hitting the same trip and he says yes, welcome to share the dock cart, load of my mind about lugging 5 rods, tackle bag and overnight bag solved.
    Check I and the chat starts with all those around us. 25 person limited load, stoked on that. Boat has already fueled and baited, even better. Leave at 11am and off south we go, veer west and south of the Coronado. By 4pm we are in the zone along with a lot of other boats. Soon we are on our own school, sonar fish and the bait is thrown, nothing less than 60lb says the skipper, alrighty says I. Penn Fathom 60ld two speed and 7‘xxh Carnage rod all set with sinker rig.

Was not till about 7:20 till I got picked up, 15 min fight and my first and largest model is welcomed aboard. Now I’m pumped and ready for the evening. Conditions were epic, June gloom but minimal swell. We plunked around with the school and from about 8pm till 11pm good grade of fish coming over, about four just over the 100lb mark, all sinker rig.

The after dinner bite was slow, lots of ppl went to bed...I stayed up, twice hit the bunk to sleep but I sure did fuck up on my bunk selection, it turned out to be the narrowest cot on the boat, above the a/c unit which was belting ice cold air. Could not sleep as was freezing so out on deck, walk around checking out the rigs assembled. Overnight skipper stops on a school about 3am. I drop the flatfall for no dice, two others put three fish on overnight, about 30lb fish.

About 4:30 am I‘ve got my beanie, fleece and blanket and pass out in the very narrow bunk. Awake at 6:30 and see we are throwing chum, up and at it again. Get picked up at around 7:30 am on the sinker rig, solid 35lb fish. This school stayed with us till about 2pm, everyone else getting hit and I’m stressing with no bites since the morning.. I get handed off a smaller model to bring in.

Fast forward to 4pm and boat has near limits, skipper says everyone is going home with four and we are now heading east and north to fly the kite for a cow....I scratch my head....east and north for cows??? We are now in visual range of the Coronado’s to the north and lots of boats, kite is flown for a mako that takes the flying fish and We get one more on a sinker rig, cut loose as we have limits.

Dinner served and then one more call for us to fish till 10pm and slow cruise home. I cannot get comfy in my bunk, toss and turn catching about three hours sleep.

Off load and at the dock by 6am, Mario’s took my order and I’m home by 7:40am. My amazing wife gives me some more fishing gifts as a Father’s Day gift, including a voucher for another trip. Sleep and 11:30 wake up, go get my truck washed as a Pelican had decided to unload a low flying spread across one side. Down to Mario’s to pick up fish. Home to La Mesa, Uber to Por Favor in the village for late lunch.

Back home for Jameson and a cigar as I type this...about 8 hours sleep since Thursday. Happy Fathers Day to all.

Irishman

Irishman
  • Jul 20, 2004
    La Mesa
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    n/a
    The photos

336CD6D9-C7E3-40AE-8E5D-A9724BF5DA5D.jpeg

5E808B5A-6C7E-4291-B923-E33A7B06FFE7.jpeg

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Great report! Is that bile and guts in the finished BFT bags! Come on Mario!

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Tired and sore after a fishing trip means it was a good fishing trip!
    Nice work, Sir!

Upvote 0

CMJ Square

Sep 9, 2014
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Parker
    Yes, I was the guy who got my 70 pound plus tuna line cut involuntarily. As I was reeling in my catch, the captain yelled out and said if the fish is less than 100lbs, cut the line. I yelled back and said I want to keep this because my keepers are the 25lbs ish. I told the deckhand to gaff, but he said the captain told him to cut. After my line was cut, no one have the motivation to fish. Only a couple of people were fishing after that, and it was around 7:15pm, prime time for the big cows. My friend has the video shot my reel with time stamps. After that, no fish were caught on any of the stop stop, and it was a prime time in the dark for the big cow. The captain has ruined the trip for many of us by cutting my line and it shows. Afterward, one of the deckhands came to me and said that was wrong.

I think the limit was for the passengers, but there were 5 plus crews on the boat. There’s some room for more tuna. That’s why the captain decided to go for the big cow, but we didn’t catch any. No one wanted to fish after my line was cut, and that’s why we were heading home bound around 9pm.
    That was the worse trip of all times in my book.
    At the end, the captain called my number and has the gut to ask me for gratuity? What a senseless captain!!!!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0