Constitution Sportfishing Need advice

Discussion in 'Mainland Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by Dudley613, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Hustler

Hustler He's On Again!?!

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    23' Maritime Patriot
    We actually stopped fishing the last day around 2pm. We were told we were around 100 miles from home and they had another trip leaving the evening we returned - and we needed to get back.
    We pulled into the bay around 3am and they killed the engines. I woke up thinking it was 6-7am (the time they said we would be returning) WTF? I ended up going back to sleep until after 6am, when they tied back up in their slip.
    From what I was told by a couple other guys that were with us, is they got up a short while after hearing the boat stop and they saw them offloading the fish we caught - that weren't processed. They said it looked like they were selling the fish to the guys that came onto the boat in the middle of the night.
    Could have been a coincidence...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    Nclc, Cubeye and vegasandre like this.
  2. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    I love the responses here. ;) pretty enertaining.

You can read that story I posted for a clear description.
    http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/maximus-tales-pg-13-version.621594/#post-4057474

Keith is a very good captain. He knows that area better than everyone.
    Keith loves to fish himself.

It isnt an all inclusive deal on his boat.
    BUT if you know that IN ADVANCE then you are good.

-You can fish the kite rigs and hook your own fish(if you are adamant about it like me- no one better hand me off anything)
    -you can bring your own kite rig and double trouble rigs
    - there may be down time.
    - bring a 60/80 lb Lupe style rig and you will get a lot of daytime use from it.
    -the "donation of fish to the orphanage at 3 am" is a every trip occurance and is probably part of the business plan.
    - "Ask and you shall receive"- discuss everything up front and you wont be surprised. If you dont discuss up front you could be surprised- this includes all aspects on the kite/baloon.

dont forget to have fun. But dont go into it blind. The more light you see - the more fun you will have.

3. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Wait, $4.00 beers...

"Nicole" and Dime: Now that's funny!

karlk1125 and SSUfish like this.
  4. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    some people should just ride the San Diego Long Range fleet........

........just sayin. :D

but seriously......it's all a tradeoff. I don't have 15 days to ride a boat (on 1 trip).

Do you think those huge balloons and helium are cheap?

I have been doing Keith's charters down there for 6 years as well.........however, this year will be on a new boat, so I would expect some changes to the operation.

as far as the boat gear, it's always been free to use......unless you trash the spectra. Terminal tackle is charged because 1. it's not cheap, and 2. its not readily available down there. Take your own. Johnny J posted a pretty comprehensive list of what you need........

Also, there is a reason I always ride a charter vs. a "open" trip........"hint hint".

it is what it is. As stated, ask questions about EVERYTHING......then you won't be surprised/disappointed.

Why do you guys have a problem with him selling the excess fish? Did he charge you for bait? think that stuff is free too?

$2 a pound for prime vac packed YFT is a great deal (down there). Just because the processors here are a bit cheaper, well......they are HERE.

anyway......my $.02. GRATIS!

:D

5. cudun

cudun Member

Name:
    LUAN
    Boat:
    26' Grady White CC & 2530 Parker

Come David! you are known to speak your mind! $25 a balloon topshot is just "Hmmmm...interesting"?, not a rip off?

6. Hustler

Hustler He's On Again!?!

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    23' Maritime Patriot
    Yup, I guess that would have been a good idea beforehand...
    But now I know.
    That's one of the good things about this thread, it will answer a lot of questions and maybe prevent the issues that some of the guys experienced while we were there.
    No one likes feeling they were taken advantage of - bad for bidness:Bawling_e

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    Cubeye and m&mvise like this.
  7. skipjackrobert

skipjackrobert I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
    Unless they have radically changed everything, some of the posts sound a bit off. It is always been a great trip and Keith has always been fishy to say the least. Maybe being on a charter vs. an open trip makes the difference...

Johnny J likes this.
  8. Johnny J

Johnny J Formally INOXicated

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    not mine
    On my trip I have a get together at a place like oside harbor for lunch about a month before the trip. Everybody gets to ask questions and get aquainted. Mostly we are the same group with a new guy or two every year. Things like drink package, van ride to and from airport, breakfast after the trip at Mr. whatever the name is. We have a blast and kill fish.

I even bring my own chiropractor who keeps everybody aligned and ready pull on big fish.

madrugador, Fish Asassin and terryc. like this.
  9. JohnnieB

JohnnieB SelFishAddiction

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    Unknown limits
    I like this much better already

Cubeye and ifish42na like this.
  10. JohnnieB

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    Unknown limits
    wow, thats B.S.

Cubeye and ifish42na like this.
  11. JohnnieB

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    Unknown limits
    with that upsell B.S. just take it off the top of the tip they think they are getting, I prefer a flat rate with no hidden charges, and a bucket of Beer for 5 bucks

kevina, Cubeye and ifish42na like this.
  12. twotrack

twotrack habitual scopolamine abuser

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Sin Barco
    Have fished the Maximus last two years. Love the program, and certainly don't begrudge the fee structures. It's all spelled out up front, clear as day. Study up, if it ain't your bag, do something else. They have little trouble filling trips.

For me, it's totally zipless. Roll down with three t-shirts, two pairs of boardies and a pair of slaps. No outfits, terminal tackle, hooks, or jigs. Hop a cheap flight, climb onto the boat, and fish. Drink package works fine. Come home with a cooler of loin. Build tonnage of poke for family and friends. Done.

It totally dollars out, and I'm not a mark or a stooge. I'm also not a grinder, mincing every peso. Peeling off a couple of c-notes at trip's end after using 2K-plus worth of new cow gear including all top shots, hooks, and a couple of jigs? I factor that into the price, and laugh as I walk through the airport with what looks like a child's book bag for luggage.

Don't care if they sling the fish; no interest in traveling with a quarter ton of meat. As long as people eat what's caught, I'm fine. There are other trips available for freezer jugging. When I have the time, I look forward to jumping on the Star or the Rooster for a couple of weeks and doing just that.

YMMV, but for where I am in life right now, PV is the most time-efficient, fun, cost-effective way to access big YFT. Keith is a stand-up cat and a King Hell fisherman. I look forward to jumping on the Constitution.

13. Dudley613

Dudley613 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    21' Cole superhawk "Beep Beep", 20' bayrunner open
    Ok so far I've heard lots of good advice. I'll ask any question that I can think of before I go. I am planning on spending additional money for use of the gear. The 100$ for fish processing is laid out on the website. I just want the best chance at catching sense this is my first trip I want to get insight on what's worked in the past and what hasn't. So far I'll be buying hooks and fluoro leader. I have a fee PL68's glow and red crab I think. I'll bring those and am assortment of weights. I'm going to look into the drink package as I plan to have some beers and at 4$ a pop, 3.5 days of fun can be expensive! Thanks for the replies. What's the average expense guys pay if the bring no gear at all? Just to give me some idea of cash to bring.

14. JohnnieB

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    Unknown limits
    Maybe you ought to bring your own balloon and clips that will save about 20 bucks a pop, where the hell do they get off charging 25 bucks? Helium is cheap ask Bozo the clown
    Ya, considering the balloon and clip is only 5 bucks... WTH.. They are HIGH on Helium

Cubeye likes this.
  15. Dudley613

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Honestly I don't care about spending 25$ on a ballon. I'll bring them back for my kids Haha

Johnny J likes this.
  16. threewaves

threewaves Yellowtail

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Pursuit 2870
    Agreed, so is "Nickle" as well.. maybe the third time it will be correct.. interesting thread over all. Good info to know as I am sure I will give PV a try in the future.. All helpful info for better or worse.. Thanks guys..

17. Dudley613

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    I believe "Nicole" and dime is in reference to Keith's wife Nicole that runs the office.

Hustler likes this.
  18. Dudley613

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Website says you can use the gear for free? Is this not correct?

image.jpg

19. irob2

irob2 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    robert
    Boat:
    REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
    Not true

20. irob2

irob2 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    robert