Constitution 9/20/18 Bittersweet 1.5 Day Trip

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Hkrob, Sep 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hkrob

Hkrob Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    Sold it
    So me and some of my coworkers had been looking to book a trip that targets big bluefin and found a 1.5 day Bluefin special trip on the Constitution 9/19-9/21.All of us book this trip on 9/9/18 and are all really excited to finally get a chance at some of these BADASS BFT. We spend the next few weeks prepping our gear for these BADASS BFT doing the usual rigging flat fall / jigs with heavy leaders and single hooks , buying appropriate terminal tackle re-spooling reels and some of us purchased some heavy 80-100# rigs well you guys know how this works.

September 19th finally gets here we get off work at 3:30pm and all carpool from Long beach and arrive at H&M landing arriving around 6:30pm unload our stuff and check in at the landing office and line up to board the boat.Once boarded the crew helps stows our gear and we line up to check in everything is going great and then we hear the BAD NEWS! Captain(Jake) says we are headed south to try and catch some of these YTF that have been biting we are like WTF we thought this was a bluefin trip captain(Jake) says we are not going to pass on limits of YFT to try and catch bluefin at this point most of the other passengers are pretty upset myself included.

So anyway we leave the dock to get bait around 8:30-9 and then captain tells us we are going to stay tied up to the bait dock till 2am at this point we are like wtf. We get to the fishing grounds around 5am and are limited out on 7-20# YFT and around 80ish skipjacks by 10am and spend the rest of the day trolling/paddy hopping looking for dorado ended up with 3. Just before sundown we hit a school of large bonoto that went WFO and captain told us that the boat had reached its limit for the trip and to start releasing fish. Then captain comes on the loud speaker and says we are headed in early and are going to spend the night the bait dock again WFT. So we get back in the harbor around 8pm and are forced to stay at the stinky ass bait dock till 5:50am.

Overall the crew did a great job food was above average captain got us on the fish just not the ones we signed up for. Its hard to complain about catching limits of YFT and some dorado.

Now the Bitter part we paid $400 for a 1.5 day bluefin special trip and ended up with a fullday/overnight trip that spent 2 nights at the bait dock. Cant help it but I feel like the Constitution stole some of my hard earned $$$ by not honoring what was advertised as a bluefin trip and the 2 nights spent tied up at the bait dock.

MF-FISHING, mike82, 998R and 7 others like this.
  2. Edward L Russ

Edward L Russ Member

Name:
    Rusty cage
    Boat:
    Mission fishin
    That's why I went on a full day.

3. j fish

j fish Member

Name:
    jay
    Boat:
    none
    Had the same thing happen on another popular boat last week. Paid for a 1.5 day trip and spent half the trip anchored up in the bay.

4. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Did you guys catch any bonus halibut at the bait dock using those 100# setups? :D

Paddyman1, stuman, strackle99 and 8 others like this.
  5. GoFish81

GoFish81 Newbie

Name:
    JJ
    Boat:
    No boat
    You should have seen what happened on the 2.5 day trip before yours. Deckhands said it was $5 to fillet these baby 5lb yellowfin. Later as people start to question their total, captain says it was $8, but numbers still didn't add up. Instead of addressing it, he brushes it off. So the boat got limits of yellowfin and skipjack, so when people said they wanted all their fish filleted, he automatically charged those people for processing 20 fish, $160. Did they actually take home limits? Nope. Some just got ehat they caught, bunch of fish missing and everyone feeling ripped off. Out of 25 passengers, at least 20 people felt this way so this isn't just a personal biased observation. Constitution is a joke and I would never go back on it. Hopefully someone from H&M Landing cares enough to address these issues with that boat. Note, if you search, you will find other fantastic stories about this boat and the captain.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    MF-FISHING, Cubeye, F-Dawg and 5 others like this.
  6. yellowfish26

yellowfish26 Totally Nude 24/7

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
    Thats why you dont book any offshore trip 2 weeks in advance with a set expectation of what you will be fishing for. They dont know where the will go days from now. It changes on a dime and the bft bite right now is not what it was

7. bdubs73

bdubs73 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    none
    Was it specifically advertised as an open party trip targeting BFT, or was it advertised in general terms like most trips ie; "Bluefin, Yellowfin, Yellowtail, Dorado" As for the other points I am not sure what your real problem would be, would you really prefer to drift outside in swells or anchor up and wait or sit in the harbor until morning. You would not have fished through the night so why stay out there? if the fish are three hours away, doesn't it make sense to stay in harbor until you can drive straight out and start fishing right away? It sounds like a decent trip, limits on two species in one day is not the worst thing that could happen:)
    Maybe you would've been better off with an overnight trip.

8. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    "Missing" fish is the worst. You pay top dollar to go on these trips, and then some dirt merchant feels it's OK to requisition your hard earned and expensive catch.

Tag and bag your own fish. Multiple tags on each. Use a lot of staples.
    When they pull all the fish out of the hold, take a picture of all your fish with tags showing
    Keep your fish whole and take them to a processor or do 'em your self.
    Talk to the Captain if any fish are missing, showing him the picture

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    mike82 and Cubeye like this.
  9. Danny

Danny Fish Doper

Name:
    Danny
    Boat:
    SS FAT GUY
    So you got limits of yellowfin.
    If you went to Clemente for bluefin you would have caught NOTHING! ZIP ZERO!
    Capt. did you a huge favor

impreza619, fishin_kid, wlca and 7 others like this.
  10. Wandering Blues

Wandering Blues I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    Sorry to hear that, especially knowing how much it cost to gear up when jumbos are on the intinerary.

11. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    when you feel that your are being over-charged.........under-tip.

Rocco F., Billy L, dockrat88 and 3 others like this.
  12. Hkrob

Hkrob Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    Sold it
    Trip was advertised as BFT most on board would rather have taken a few swings at the bft if we strike out so be it. This was a bait & switch move by the boat to boost there fish count plain & simple.

13. Skeeter Nate

Skeeter Nate Newbie

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Skeeter
    If you haven't looked at the counts lately no one has been targeting the bf. The wind has been howling and the captain did you a favor but keep complaining about your limits of yft. Do some research aztec and tomahawk both have bf trips on the schedule

stuman and jer dog like this.
  14. Capt Devo

Capt Devo Fish Hard

Name:
    Devo
    Boat:
    Trophy
    Did you fish Halibut at the bait dock or was that off limits to?

15. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Is there a good reason why after reaching limits and getting in early they hold you captive in the bay ? i really don't understand that.Why not park the boat,clean it up and get some rest and let the passengers get home early ?

16. Haly0

Haly0 Pescado hunter

Name:
    Hal
    Boat:
    lightest load party boat available
    bieber

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  17. Buttchaser

Buttchaser Fresh One!

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    None
    Gates at the landing do not open until 6am

plj46 likes this.
  18. Capt Devo

Capt Devo Fish Hard

Name:
    Devo
    Boat:
    Trophy
    There are long distances between the BFT grounds and the below the 425 YFT grounds. There Dead Heads probably wanted YFT to top off there freezes before this all comes to a wind driven halt. There's tons of spots on the bft target boats but I do share your pain $$$$$

19. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Great minds think alike..... :cheers:

Capt Devo and kookfarmer like this.
  20. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    This is actually not the case ..
    Just did a 2 day crew trip...
    While It is true that the jumbos have slowed down in the main zone the volume of fish around Clemente is unreal...I got one 30 lber in the dark then we went to the 9 for yellows...'
    Conditions changed there and the yellows were a no show...
    Went west a few miles and found spot after spot of all sizes up and foaming on chovie ...
    Getting a bait in the middle of the foam was key but we did have fish respond to chum in quick bursts and caught a few when they did ...
    Fished these foamers til about 3:30 then headed towards home....
    On the way home again saw spot after spot of breezers and foamers catchin a few more and my last fish was a :40+ lber about 5 west of cat right before dark... ended up with 8 bft 15 to 50 lbs but the volume of fish out there is still unbelievable...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.