Offshore Constitution 1.5 (7/23-25)

kevine001

Jul 22, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
Name
KEVIN ENG
Boat
Mission Belle
Left an hour late on Friday. Captain had boat on a few paddies going south at about 0600 on 7/24. I believe we had boat limits of YT by 1000 hrs (15 lbs give or take, a few toads and a few rats) and we also came home with some dodos, and a few smaller YFT and I think one BFT. My buddy also got a good size bonito. Me and both of my friends “donated” some to those who did not limit.
Captain was cool and Jeff the cook very nice. Deck hands did a great job with issues but seemed ready to cut line quickly. I will say, there were more rental rods than people with their own gear on this trip. Deck hands seemed to be all business. Back at the dock by 0400 on Sunday.

All in all, not a bad trip. Although, I’ve never paid $10/fish for fish cleaning (“If my knife touches it, it’s a flat rate of $10”)….they can definitely find fish tho

769F5DB6-9CD1-45BC-A895-E16E5C2E9E10.jpeg

3C01828A-C74F-4A8A-91EF-455DC21F182A.jpeg

8EF908D3-4B91-4BBB-8438-1B76DF5A5C35.jpeg

D
Donaldson
This boat is known to over charge on everything not just fish cleaning. I did a trip on the constitution with Keith and they add about 6 beers to my gally tab that I didn't even drink. When I approached them about they said it is what it is. I have no desire to ever fish with them again, very poor business mentality.
Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
  • Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Wow on cleaning! Good yellow catching though

Upvote 0

kevine001

Jul 22, 2020
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Name
    KEVIN ENG
    Boat
    Mission Belle
    I just realized my "report" was very lacking

That morning bite was primarly paddies and YT, all off of fly lined sardines. I believe there was a few dodos. Not sure if a tuna got onto the boat during the morning. Occasionally I saw guys get bit after a few mins, but most were within a minute of dropping bait into the water.

Mid-day, quiet with a few singles of YT, small tuna and dodos.

After about 3-4 pm, we started seeing boils and foamers and paddies. More YT, and i believe more rat YT in the afternoon. The tuna were hard to catch, however, on one drift, my buddy and I both tossed in irons and got bit within seconds of each other. He used a green/silver colt sniper, and I had a mint green surface iron. Instant bite, but we literally tossed our lures right into the middle of the boil.

One other thing to add. This trip had an inordinate amount of rental rods and first timers. I suspect that's why the boat charged $10 per fish for cleaning, because the first timers didn't know any better. The handful of us who've done this before had some sticker shock.

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat
    NA
    Processing is starting to look like a deal... Plus it lasts so much longer if they do it vs the boat.

carnage007

May 9, 2004
    Encino
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    to poor
    I was told that Constitution and Poseidon have the ability to process on board with chamber sealers, has anyone actually experienced this service?

Upvote 0

california2

Jan 29, 2011
    N. OC
    Name
    cali
    Boat
    boat
    A 40 LB BFT, cost me $35.00 each on my
    Last trip with him , you got off cheap.
    Wowza
    did the at lease vacuum seal that? Did they let you know before offering to have your fish cleaned? Shit at that price for a 40lb BFT I would have it professionally processed and vacuum sealed for $1.3/lb

Upvote 0