Considering Kayak Purchase

james92026

Almost A Member
  • Jul 26, 2011
    escondido/ca/usa
    Name
    james hunt
    Boat
    Cobra Navigator XF, Intex Inflatable,(presently,boatless)
    Long time since logging in. Looking at a kayak once again. Interested in BKC-1200 fishing kayak and also info on Sports Rack inflatable naked roof cartop carrier. Anybody hav these? opinions? fwiw I own a 2019 Sonata PHEV.

Note: I should have said "Handi Rack" as that is the mfr. Malone also has something similar.

Last edited:

james92026

Almost A Member
  • Jul 26, 2011
    escondido/ca/usa
    Name
    james hunt
    Boat
    Just remember that there are only three really good spots to fish a kayak locally; La Jolla, La Jolla and La Jolla. 🙄
    yeah, but I am not sure where the MRLP area boundaries. I thought it was prohibited from the point near the cove towards Scripps pier. Also have not attempted wet launch from the La Jolla Shores (end of what's the street?)

Reactions: cohenc319
    Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    There's a scupper pro TW on CL at $850

Upvote 0

james92026

Almost A Member
  • Jul 26, 2011
    escondido/ca/usa
    Name
    james hunt
    Boat
    FWIW, and some might remember my mishap a few years back when I launched from O'side, flipped my Navigator off shore in the middle of February, rescued by a power boat coming out of the harbor. I made a stupid choice of wearing a snowboard outfit (for the cold temp) and was so water logged, could not get back onboard). Had I the presence of mind to swim around to the leeward side, I probably could have done it, instead of being jackknifed under the boat. dumb, dumb, dumb.

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
  • May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    yeah, but I am not sure where the MRLP area boundaries. I thought it was prohibited from the point near the cove towards Scripps pier. Also have not attempted wet launch from the La Jolla Shores (end of what's the street?)

LJ Reserve extends just shy of a mile West of the launch. A good landmarker is this...
    20200712_055541.jpg

When the flagpole aligns with the palm tree, back corner of the white building, and inbetween the 2 historic houses that are shown tented up.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

james92026

Almost A Member
  • Jul 26, 2011
    escondido/ca/usa
    Name
    james hunt
    Boat
    LJ Reserve extends just shy of a mile West of the launch. A good landmarker is this...
    View attachment 1281969

When the flagpole aligns with the palm tree, back corner of the white building, and inbetween the 2 historic houses that are shown tented up.
    not able to view the attachment, says that I am not ajuthorized?

Upvote 0

james92026

Almost A Member
  • Jul 26, 2011
    escondido/ca/usa
    Name
    james hunt
    Boat
    I may regret posting this as "some" may turn their nose up at my choice (or not), but I have decided on an inflatable kayak in the interim from Intex. It is the Intex Excursion Pro. Good reviews, sturdy craft. 12ft 7 inches tandem. I do not have to be concerned about transport, or adding a roof rack to my Hyundai. I will more than likely motorize it with a Minn Kota Enduro trolling motor at some point in time and have several ideas for a motor mount. This is not your standard "pool toy". IMHO. (price was a consideration as well)

Upvote 0

james92026

Almost A Member
  • Jul 26, 2011
    escondido/ca/usa
    Name
    james hunt
    Boat
    making a hard floor from 15/32 inch plywood, hinged in the middle so that it will fold in half for transport. A continuous aka piano hinge joins the two halves. I noted that with the hinge side down, it will bow in the middle but only a fraction. I am thinking adding stringers from metal conduit or 3/4 inch PVC pipe., threading them through pad eyes or maybe some of those rubber clips to hold in place. Three should do it as the width is only 18 inches. Nearly done, waiting for the sealer to dry. I used pipe insulation on the edges to prevent abrasion and the edges tuck in under the sides(tubes) out of sight and snugly holding in place. so far - so good.

Reactions: anemic
    Upvote 0

james92026

Almost A Member
  • Jul 26, 2011
    escondido/ca/usa
    Name
    james hunt
    Boat
    best way to launch your kayak from the shore if it has an attached skeg? Stern first, bow, parallel?

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Bow first. Bow seaward on return too, paddling backwards. This way you can abort and paddle back out if you see a huge set.

Upvote 0

KXKH

Feb 28, 2018
    NorCal
    Name
    Boat
    19' Hobie
    Launch with the bow facing the breakers, always. Landing, depends on what works for you. I've seen many techniques that works. As far as that kayak you chose? Good inflatable kayak...for lakes and ponds with no boats.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Pacific Jigger
    Upvote 0

james92026

Almost A Member
  • Jul 26, 2011
    escondido/ca/usa
    Name
    james hunt
    Boat
    Launch with the bow facing the breakers, always. Landing, depends on what works for you. I've seen many techniques that works. As far as that kayak you chose? Good inflatable kayak...for lakes and ponds with no boats.
    ha ha, good exception.....My main concern was the skeg. I will just have to get out far enough to prevent damage. Thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0

james92026

Almost A Member
  • Jul 26, 2011
    escondido/ca/usa
    Name
    james hunt
    Boat
    fwiw...here are a few pics of some mods I made to an Intex Excursion Pro. Mediocre, yet functional. Everything fits in my car. I will probably tire of inflating/deflating soon enough, but for now.......OK...one caveat was the Mighty Max Battery comes with virtually useless screws. I hunted all over town for some mounting hardware and ended going to Home Depot and fashioning my own from longer bolts, hex nuts and wing nuts.

IMG_20210531_090311890 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20210531_123312202.jpg

IMG_20210607_112905336_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20210613_170517543.jpg

IMG_20210613_170600306.jpg

IMG_20210613_170623601.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: anemic
    Upvote 0