Considering 24 skipjack

Jan 5, 2021
West Covina
Name
Angel Rodriguez
Boat
24 FB SKIPJACK
I am considering buying a 24 skipjack flybridge was just wondering how much it cost to maintain? And also is this a boat I can go out just me and my brother for a few hours around the harbor maybe rigs ?

I want to be able to go out to the islands and chase tuna but I don’t want something that too much to take on a quick afternoon trip

Any thoughts ?

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Two people should be able to manage one easily, and it’s more than enough boat for what you want to do. If inshore to Catalina is the most you plan on doing, I would suggest a 20 open or something similar. If you find yourself with tuna fever, or wanting those offshore dorado, a 24 fly makes it a nice trip.

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
I would look for a 24 Open Skippy, then build your pilothouse on it. There are some really nice pilothouse conversions... I have a 28’ Skippy that has a 24’ fly bridge but adding the after market pilothouse was a game changer..

E0643663-0FC6-4EF6-A60C-BECF789D9731.jpeg

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
i know wheres theres flybridge with deisel. needs repower but the replacement volvo is sitting on a pallet with it. been in storage for a year or more. the owner was hot get it going last year, but has yet to work on it. i'm not the owner but can put interested parties in touch.

JUST KIDDING BOB!

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
i know wheres theres flybridge with deisel. needs repower but the replacement volvo is sitting on a pallet with it. been in storage for a year or more. the owner was hot get it going last year, but has yet to work on it. i'm not the owner but can put interested parties in touch.

JUST KIDDING BOB!

My heart just about flew out of my chest!!!

I want to get started on that thing like ASAP! I have a few irons in the fire I need to get sorted out, but I’ll be over soon to start wrenching.

Upvote 0

soul troller

Mine bends where yours ends
Mar 14, 2004
Murrieta Ca
Name
Lou
Boat
Pursuit 2870 WA
Maintenance costs will depend on quite a few variables , but here's what i think:
I ran a Trophy 2460 for 19 seasons with a GM 350 and a Volvo 280 outdrive . Both scavenged ( from a 78 truck and an 84 boat ) and rebuilt before going in the boat .
The average yearly costs over that time considering stuff breaks and preventative maintenance was about $1000 , with a few years that cost $2000
Seems there's always something that needs attention , and then some years nothing would break at all. Ironically , the years i ran it alot were the cheap ones.
I was on a tight budget then , so i did alot of the work myself and used friends too.

The only limitation to that size boat and how you use it is you i suppose.
Trailering and launching solo is not difficult if you have your system down .
I fish alone alot now in a 28 footer , although being in a slip makes that easy.
If you like the boat and know that things can break that can cost more than you usually estimate , go for it and enjoy it.
So many choices of rigs . Nice to be out on your own sled no matter what it is.
Good luck with the search.

Upvote 0

chevy72

Almost A Member
May 16, 2014
Long Beach
Name
Matt
Boat
42ft Seaward
I am considering buying a 24 skipjack flybridge was just wondering how much it cost to maintain? And also is this a boat I can go out just me and my brother for a few hours around the harbor maybe rigs ?

I want to be able to go out to the islands and chase tuna but I don’t want something that too much to take on a quick afternoon trip

Any thoughts ?

I had a 24 Flybridge, and I could easily launch and do everything by myself. So when you have atleast 1 other person, it is no problem. That boat handles very well too for the size... Maintenance would probably be a couple thousand a year, depending what you do yourself, but if you use the boat, totally worth it.

Upvote 0

peter7883

Apr 21, 2012
San Diego
Name
Peter
Boat
Skipjack
I have a 24' Skipjack and it is no problem launching and pulling out of the water on your own but having someone else to help is great. I've taken mine as far as SCI for weekend trips with no problem on many occasions. I usallly stay for at least a couple of days since it is a fair distance. I have added an auxiliary 50 gallon fuel tank to make the range a non issue.

Reactions: Fishbones
Upvote 0

TsTime

May 9, 2006
IB
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Alblemarle SF Ex
Enjoyed my '86 for about 3 years. As stated a couple of thousand per year. frequent service, fluid changes etc. your good to go.

Solo launching and retrieving no problem, fished SD bay, offshore and a few stay over nights. Handling most all conditions is very good.

4.png

5.png

Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
Jul 2, 2009
So Cal
Name
Sir2you
Boat
No Name........
I had a 24ft Flybridge and although it was well built I found the engine cover a PIA and after I sold the boat I vowed to only consider outboards in the future....

I personally prefer center console type boats... But you don't tend to sleep overnight in a CC....

I was also able to launch and retrieve the Skippy myself very easily as long as there was a dock along side to walk the boat. DP was perfect.... Shelter Island.... not so much...

Upvote 0