Connection Knots for Curious Minds.

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
Good information. But I didn't see the RP knot, which is my favorite. Also I didn't see mention of putting a drop of TacGlue on the knot. That's got to change things...

Reactions: Texas Tuna

Errin

Snorkeler
Jun 22, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Errin
Boat
Cabo 216
Thank you for posting. Most of those knots are advanced and difficult to tie but definitely a good reference.

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Good information. But I didn't see the RP knot, which is my favorite. Also I didn't see mention of putting a drop of TacGlue on the knot. That's got to change things...
That's because the RP knot, internationally, is called an Alberto Knot, or Modified Albright Knot, or Albright Knot, or Improved Albright Knot.

njoyflyfishing

Well-Known "Member"
May 3, 2016
Diamond Bar, CA
Name
Nathan
Boat
16' Slideright
One interesting thing about the testing is that for both the light and the heavy setup the monofilament is the heavier of the lines. I think most setups that I use the braid is the heavier of the lines, and the monofilament is lighter, which is probably how most set up except in the case of heavy bite leaders and such.

From there the conclusions are that the non loop knots perform better, which makes some sense. Biminis have high break strength when tied correctly, but the number of turns, etc. and how well they are tied will impact the break strength of the knot as noted in the article. The chart of knots at the end of the article has multiple entries with a bimini and a footnote, where the footnote states that in a multi knot setup they note which knot fails. So all of those bimini knots were actually another knot where the bimini failed in the lighter braid.

The conclusions wouldn't be too much different in terms of the best knots, but I think a more typical setup is heavier braid where the bimini is less likely to fail due to the fact that the mono is lighter. Would be interesting to see that test, and also interesting to know why the magazine decided to test the configuration they tested.

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver Cheng
Boat
cabo 45 sportfish
wondering how they were tying their tony pena knots. They should not be breaking that low.

Reactions: DaveyK

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV
Ask Ali about the improved Bristol I tie on EVERYTHING. We even had the guys down in Mag Bay coverting over.

It's small, clean, easy to tie and works in incredible well with heavy mono, even 200#. We've never had one fail in over a decade now. I love the knot because the mono wraps over the braids so you aren't worried about the braid curtting the mono under heavy tension for a long time.