Admin
Oct 18, 2017
Encinitas
seastheslay.com
Name
Jordan Jennings
Boat
Everglades 325cc
Capt. Brandon Nelson demonstrates how to tie and why the Royal Polaris knot and the Triple Surgeon’s knot. Each is used as a connection knot from braid to mono or mono to fluoro leaders.

capt-brandon-nelson-1-1200x446.jpg

Our “Know Your Knots” series will demonstrate not only the techniques for tying these fishing knots but will offer ideas about the why and when to use them. Often times a particular knot can be used for a variety of uses.

Continue reading...

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    Do you like the knots?

Jordan
    Jordan
    The RP is one of my fav connection knots. Easy to tie (vs. FG or similar) + sleeker profile than a double uni. Triple surgeons is my absolute go to when fly fishing actually (tying on more tippet/leader) and think when scaling down line sizes or leader to leader - its a great knot. Admittedly a bit bulk on heavier mono/fluoro though
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Highwayman

• Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    I like the RP knot as well. Especially for speed. The knot I have tied most often for braid it mono is the Bob Sands knot. One thing I just realized recently when throwing jigs is, for me, the Bob Sands knot casts better when coming through the guides than the RP knot. I think the tapered braid leading the the knot vs the RP cut doubled mono leading may be the reason. It may be the way I trim the RP. Again, the RP is a good small connection.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    For slow trolling Deans, or fly lining, what works great for me is to NOT tie my mono or braid to fluoro. Just put on a high quality swivel and use your fav knot--I like the Palomar. You only add a tiny weight to the rig--tiny, and even fly lining, the weight of that swivel is negligible. Line to line ties--some of them are great, and easy to tie in my living room but on my rolling boat, it is so much easier to tie a quality knot to the swivel. I know--it doesn't work if you want to put on a top shot.

Reactions: Jordan
    Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    One problem I have is that I know a lot of knots--but don't know the name of em. I think I'll check youtube so I can match up my knots with the names

Jordan
    Jordan
    I'm exact opposite lol - I know like 5 so only a handful of names to remember
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0
    Nov 1, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Name
    M
    Boat
    None
    I have been practicing the triple surgeon’s knot with 6# mono and I’ve been breaking off between 6# and 10# with Izorline XXX but the line always breaks at the surgeon’s knot. Is that normal?

It never breaks at the hook or in the middle. Does it mean I’m tying a weak knot or is that just naturally the weakest point?

W
    woodfish330
    Make it wet.... before cinching? If you used saliva.... try tap water... break again. Results the same? Just go with it....
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Reel_Brew

Oct 21, 2004
    Santa Clarita
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Grady White 228
    I have been practicing the triple surgeon’s knot with 6# mono and I’ve been breaking off between 6# and 10# with Izorline XXX but the line always breaks at the surgeon’s knot. Is that normal?

It never breaks at the hook or in the middle. Does it mean I’m tying a weak knot or is that just naturally the weakest point?
    Try a double instead.

Upvote 0

Latest posts