Connect 17 Lb. Mono to braid?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Matt_e, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Matt_e

Matt_e Chef & Fisherman

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Broke
    The problem I may have is that the rod has Fuji concept guides down to a number 6 guide ring. My mono is 17 lb. My questions are: What size braid can I use, what knot to connect, and will the smaller guide rings present a problem?

I use braid to mono on my heavier saltwater setups, using both Bimini to Albright, or Tony Pena knots. This is my first venture into braid on a light rod. It's gonna be a calico rod for SoCal and a striper rod for Lakes Mead and Mohave.

2. Matt_e

Matt_e Chef & Fisherman

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Broke
    The rod is 7', rated 14 - 20 lb., and 1 -2 oz. lure weight. Forgot that info on the first post. Open to suggestions on line weights, too.

3. BigJack

BigJack Newbie

Name:
    jack
    Boat:
    24' fiber form
    I would go uni-uni

4. SnyperP

SnyperP Newbie

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    None
    The uni-to-uni profile is small enough to pass without much issues, but i find that most people don't cinche down the braid enough and it generally slips. This is usually because they try to save a bit of braid by having a very short tag end to trim off and that prevents you from getting a solid grip on it.

Personally, i'm a connection whore and would probably end up splicing it the solid into 40 hollow ace and then into the 17. You could probably try the slim beauty know, i dont think it'll have an issue passing considering the double overhand knot isn't anymore bulky than the uni.

5. Matt_e

Matt_e Chef & Fisherman

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Broke
    How much topshot do I want with this setup?