Build it...Remodel it...Go Fishin/Huntin/Baja
Jun 21, 2007
pacific beach/Gonzaga Bay
Name
Bert
Boat
gone baja
Anybody else got this damn thing ?
I was recently diagnosed with it,wondering what others have done trying to "live" with it ?
Thinking bout switching my Primary Care to UCSD ? , Or maybe Scripps ?

It's the fatigue and hard breathing that REALLY are hard to deal with !!!

Walking a field or a ditch looking for birds,deer hunting,walking to a turkey roost,even reeling in a good tuna...all not possible right now.

And you know the Drs...do this,do that,don't do that,eat this,don't eat that.

Jeez...the Docs even tell me NOT to drink beer !!! Too bad for them on that one !!!

Chime in please !

Last edited:

Laukia

boss
Nov 30, 2004
Carpinteria
Name
Dave R
Boat
28' Carolina Classic
It's not good, amigo. The good news.....your still here and breathing. The rest of that diagnosis is all bad. It seems a kind of cumulative diagnosis. Definitely get a second opinion from a good cardiologist. A diagnosis more specific to a problem that is correctable is what your looking for. We can't do anything about our age, but we can watch our weight and don't smoke for chrissake. Never give up.

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
Ditch foods made with white ingredients, especially proccessed foods(fast food, junk food).

Refined sugar, flour, corn, dairy, and excess salt are killers. These are most likely what got you to where you are at now.

I hear people say that they wanna enjoy their life so they refuse to change their lifestyles and eating habits. A few years later they are sick and on at least 3 or 4 medications. They prefer slouching to sitting up straight or standing and their joints hurt so much they cannot imagine doing ANY exercize.

Usually they are prescribed meds for high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Then the depression sets in and before long they are morbidly obese and ready to die.

It is never too late to try to avoid the sleep that is endless.

I wish you luck.

Never give up!
Never surrender!

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
Apr 27, 2006
M Class Planet / Riverside
Name
Wayne
Boat
Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
A very good friend of mine died at 55 last month due to a recently discovered heart condition that he was born with. He wasn't a smoker and took care of himself. He noticed he was getting short of breath after routine workouts at the gym and went to his doctor to find out why. It was determined that he had Valvular stenosis. The doctors told him that if he had been more active in sports when he was younger they may have caught it then and this one of those things that kills 20 year olds playing basketball or running track because it often goes undiagnosed. Being told to not workout and to take it easy really toasted him mentally and it showed in his attitude about living with comments he made to me. He owned a successful business, had good insurance and left plenty of money to his family. His doctors were working on a fix when he died. These same doctors initially said it was stress related until they found out otherwise, they also said they had time to get it done, like 5 years, but it killed him in less than a year. Getting another opinion and keeping a positive mental state can go a long way in the treatment process. Good Luck

watersdeep

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
I am the wife of Watersdeep and just dealt with this with my brother. Scripps has a great Cardiology Department. Look up the two hospitals departments. I would switch. I don't know if there is a particular reason for your condition. Do you have a blocked artery? Or are you over-weight? The bottom line is that if there is a cause like a blocked artery then they need to put a stent in it ASAP. If that is not the cause and often 50% of patients have no cause then you need to eat better, lose weight and take the medication that they gave you. It is a condition that if caught early enough they can keep it from advancing too quickly. My brother had the same symptoms and waited a year before seeing a doctor. Doctors move slow! One month later, he was retaining water in his ankles and abdomen. (a stage 3 or 4 symptom) Within 2 weeks they decided to go in and actually look for the blockage but there was none. His heart was working at 25 percent and they found blood backed up behind his heart. My brother passed away the night of this procedure to figure out what was really going on. Don't wait and be persistent. I wish you the best. You have to be the director of your own treatment.

Hey it's watersdeep, i had my wife chime in becuse she is on her game. very ironic you posted this this AM. we are going to the morgue today and then the mortuary. My brother in law was 46 and in pretty good health as of five weeks ago.You must be your own advocate and do your home work.

Sorry for the downer. life is hard.

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
My mom had Congestive Heart Failure. It is a very serious disease. She smoked unfiltered Camels for 25 years. The only good thing that came out of it is that none of the kids in our family ever smoked because of what happened to her.

Reactions: ColdEye and One_Leg

Mo Betta

Offshore Prop Changer
Feb 6, 2003
El Cajon
youatplay.com
Name
Frank
Boat
25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
That’s my wife’s line of work. She gave me the name of Dr Ali Salami at Scripps Mercy (where she works).

Take your meds and watch your diet Bert! Fluid retention around your heart causes it to not get a good pump. PM me if you need anything else.

Reactions: ColdEye

Bizzy

May 19, 2009
Poway CA
Name
Tom
Boat
25 Parker
This is not a reply to the post, but just something for the over 50 crowd to keep in mind. There are some hospitals that are well equipped to deal with heart issues, but most are not. Scripps/UCSD is and Palomar Med Center off the 78 is also. I survived because I went to the right one and they were able to treat me quickly.

embo

I've been recommended for a recommendation...
Aug 25, 2006
Name
n/a
Boat
17' Bluewater
Yea I got that, my understanding is it's key to avoid sodium as much as possible, Sodium/salt makes you thirsty and you take in more fluids which your heart has a hard time pumping out. The less water you retain the better you will feel. You will notice if your retaining water in your feet and ankles first. Stay away from the salts.

Reactions: Mo Betta

Grandpa

Old Guy
Aug 15, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Ron
Boat
Albemarle Express "Lily Rose"
Just went through Aortic Stenosis with valve replacement 4 weeks ago. Short of breath and lack of energy are classic symptoms.
Went to the doctor to get a new prescription for antibiotics for what I thought was left over pneumonia. Going to Loreto in a few days for a week fishing. Listened to my chest, EKG in the office, and I turned around and the paramedics were there with a gurney. Went straight to the emergency room, stabilized my heart and shipped me off to Kaiser LA.
Walked out 18 days later with a new valve,
sealed up aterial appendage, and AFIB controlled.
Can’t believe the difference in breathing and energy levels. Walking 1 1/2 miles a day and
can get back in the gym in 2 weeks with light weights.
Don’t wait to get this done. You’ll be happy you took care of this...

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
Sorry to here this Bert .
I have a good ticker just the bones ruining my life. So I understand when the body reminds you the growing old is not for Sissy. Wish you the best, just follow what they tell you and if it dont seem right go to a different Doc.
Tight lines

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
don't do what the docs are suggesting......and put me in your Will when you update it TOMORROW......

My "roadie" died from this in 1994. He didn't change his lifestyle as the Docs suggested either. 33 years old.

cj5orion

Jun 21, 2007
Name
Bert
Boat
gone baja
Mobetta,(n wife)..thanks for the doc referral !
I'm on "blue Cross insurance,that OK by him.
So how would I get an appt with him?
Can you pm his # to me?
Watersdee...your story really hit home !
I'm just on the rebound from a feet/legs swelling episode,caught it early,took about a week to get back to "normal".bout the same on the %.

To all...I have very healthy eating habits,a dietician couldn't even suggest a change...except the beer of course !

61 years young,actually could use a few pounds put on,170,used to be 185,,,it was water retention.

Mentally...juries out ! ...lots of big changes lately...none of em good.Gotta change that !!! This all started in April with a blood clot,emergency surgery,2 weeks in Scripps.

It's hard facing such a "event",current Docs don't tell me a damn thing !!!
I get more info from Google than the Docs !

Miss the hunting n fishing,a good hard days days work,COLD beer,steak on the Barby!

But that's why I posted,not accepting what's been thrown my way,looking for a "fork in the road" to some sort of recovery/return.

Thanks all for the chime ins.Hope to be around for a while ...hope to be !
Wish I could just "walk it off/away" !!!!

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
Scripps is a very good choice...
lots of good info here for you...good luck....

cj5orion

Jun 21, 2007
Name
Bert
Boat
gone baja
don't do what the docs are suggesting......and put me in your Will when you update it TOMORROW......

My "roadie" died from this in 1994. He didn't change his lifestyle as the Docs suggested either. 33 years old.
Thanks Wils
My will is jus a list of bill collectors.
They d be happy to get your contact info.
I'll put ya down as next of kin !:rockin:

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
Mentally...juries out ! ...lots of big changes lately...none of em good.Gotta change that !!! This all started in April with a blood clot,emergency surgery,2 weeks in Scripps.
This sounds like it might be a TIA, Transient Ischemic Attack.

If your family has a history of strokes it is important to consider this possibility and take measures to reduce your risk factors asap.

I have known people whose hard working, happy go lucky attitude changed to angry, frustrated, confused and sad after a lifetime relatively free of these emotions.

9 days after a massive stroke left him comatose he passed on without ever regaining conciousness.

He was a life long drinker and died at 69 years of age.

A meat and potatoes diet can be a real killer when combined with a sedentary lifestyle.

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
Not funny Wally. Lol

watersdeep

Jan 19, 2016