COSDoug

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 23, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO.
Name
Doug
Boat
Hobie Kayak
I was reading on a different thread about a passenger who was ordered to go to his room and stay there. I'm curious if anyone here has experienced this on a trip. Would you care to share the story of what happened?
I remember once on the Intrepid when somehow the conversation on the stern turned into something that resembled ' if I die, put me in the RSW and carry on.'
Captain KO ( the best I ever sailed with ) heard the chatter and warned that the next comment would result in being confined to your quarters. Nobody took him up on it. Dude was the ultimate stud.
Any stories to share?

Reactions: junipero01

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
I was on a trip where a crew member was confined to quarters.

Had to have his meals when there were no passengers in the galley.

• Wow
Reactions: Rodless_Jim

atun53

Nov 27, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Name
Chris Johnson
Boat
Skiff
Last trip I was on a passenger had imbibed a little too much in a little sloppy weather. I caught him the first time we took a big wave, skipper caught him the second time. Skipper grabbed the chef and they got him down the stairs and confined to quarters. Skipper had them bring him some food that night. Next day skipper had him come apologize and thank me and another fellow. Very well handled by the Captain.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
We had a trip that resulted in a grumpy Gus lawyer quarantining himself on the upper deck. Seems he was butt hurt as another angler caught a nice one while he was flylining. I think alcohol had something to do with his depression...

Reactions: Tom123 and Bill W

red_teppin

Aug 8, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Boat
no
I watched a greenhorn deckhand jump into ocean while under way once.

Came out on deck with a bucket of galley scraps, took off his boots and shirt, and dove in.

Heard him say something about how Jesus cleansed himself with water and he felt dirty after we picked him up.

Didn’t see him for the rest of the trip.

alan760

Dec 7, 2003
Encinitas, CA
Name
Alan
Boat
American Angler
Had a guy in his stateroom for 10-11 days for medical reasons, bad back, bad knees, and some other things I don't recall. On pain meds the whole time. Felt sorry for the guy because it was a bucket list trip to catch a 100+ lb tuna. I think he was in his 80s so probably his last hurrah long range fishing. We would see him occasionally getting some food but otherwise in his stateroom flat on his back. Never soaked a bait. Back at the dock the word was his brother was picking him up and driving straight to the drs office.

• Sad
Reactions: PheasantHunter

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
sou cal
Name
Frank
Boat
Kayak
My first 10 day was on the Angler when Sam & Brian first took the helm..There was this one guy who wasn't confined to quarter but only came out to eat...didn't fish. But he also didn't shower and started stinking really bad after 3 days (I think he had a week or 2 headstart on the no shower part). Finally after the 5th or so day Sam ordered him to take a shower because he stunk so bad people couldnt eat around him and he fouled up the galley. Anyways he complied. Epic trip..plugged the boat w. dorado, yellowtail, wahoo, and those 75-115 lb grade Alijos yellowfin at the rocks that were common back then. Had to release those nice yft at the end. On the way back we hit up Cedros again to break up the ride and it was all catch and release yellowtail..another epic bite..like every other cast a fish type deal. Out comes Stinky to fish for the first time the whole trip. He caught and kept 3 or 4 yellowtail and the crew let him keep them. They said they left a little space in the hold just for him. Apparently he went on that boat a lot and only liked to fish for yellowtail at the end of the trip. Bizarre Howard Hughes-like recluse character...

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
I fished an 18 day trip with a guy with the nickname "Gadget" elderly guy, who had a very bad back and other medical issues... He would only troll for wahoo... We never saw him on deck other than that.. On the last day of the trip, he still had no wahoo.. We put him out on the troll solo.. until he finally landed one... How many times have you seen only one guy trolling for wahoo ?

He really was a nice guy, and purchased a round of beers for the boat after he landed it..

Jeff.

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
As I read these reports, I notice they almost all reference an OLD guy. Well, I am rapidly approaching the OLD guy status, and eventually we will all be there. I hope to do Long Range Fishing for as long as I can, Old guy or not.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
I was last on the troll list along with another angler. This other guy directed the 4 rods out trolling and stated these two rods are his and these other two rods are yours. I was holding my rod and the rod that he assigned me went off. While I was trying to take care of my rod he grabbed that rod. After a discussion he gave me the rod. The guy was a total pain in the ass for the rest of the trip.

Mlutton

May 14, 2004
Redondo Beach, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
n/a
Not a long range trip but I was on a boat that had a guy get drunk and in the middle of the night he got up and peed into a bunk below his. As you might guess the bunk was occupied by a girl. Her boyfriend woke up to her screaming. He jumped up and started beating the sh$t out of the drunk. Then the deckhand on night patrols broke up the fight but when he heard what happened he started thrashing the drunk around. The captain was woken up and gave the drunk the choice of having the boat turn around and he would be arrested or he could stay in his bunk for the trip and was 86ed from the fleet. He took the latter choice.
Funny thing is, during the day we got into a great albacore bite and the captain caught him peeking outdoors and just about took his head off. The captain also gave the girl a boat sweatshirt and T-shirt so she would have something dry and not smelly to wear. If I remember correctly they also bought all of her food for her and the boyfriend.

Matrix

King of the Universe
May 14, 2004
Pasadena
Name
Tim
Boat
No Boat
In 1990, I was on a 10 day on the American Angler. Everyone was boarded and ready to go, and apparently the scheduled Captain couldn't make it, so the Captain who just brought the boat in had to do a turnaround. He was not happy, and pretty much confined himself to the wheelhouse the entire trip. 10 days, and we only saw him a handful of times for no more than a few minutes with almost no verbal interaction. Probably the first time a captain confined himself to quarters.

Initially everyone was on edge since his behavior was not normal. Eventually we all said screw it, and enjoyed the trip. The crew was amazing, which made up for the shitty attitude of the Captain.

• Wow
Reactions: PheasantHunter