Aug 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Captain O
Boat
Reel Caliente
Interesting that all the different local Party Boats Catching Wahoo,

"But none of the "Long Range Boats !!!

Before someone says they are way down the line, Negative I had been fishing along side them out here earlier in the year and yes we were catching Wahoo then.!!

Reactions: Cribbg
Upvote 0

Mcgyver

Catcher of fish, releaser of few!
Nov 23, 2005
San Diego
www.calcofi.org
Name
David Mcgyver
Boat
17.5' Seafair Sedan, Sea Hag
Nice job Norm! I like the tips on catching them:wind wind wind....will do if I get so lucky. Way to keep going at it and getting a trophy for this season. Jealous!

Upvote 0

Cribbg

Cribbg
Jun 23, 2009
San Diego,CA.USA
Name
Norm
Boat
-
Thanks for the Kudos all. Each of you could be next. It ain't over. N what a surprise. Several hooked those things n busted em off, as I realized with the 1st strike n run. Dang!!!
I may be going out again this Mon or Weds. I heard we have "Red Flag" offshore weather coming up Tues. Don't like the sounds of that one, but I may be wrong there. I'm still surprised that those paddies could all be holdin those Wahoo. Anyone know of a higher speed reel out there? More than a 6-1 ratio. I would have liked that Tady 9 moving thru the water a Lil quicker. I heard n watched a couple of the others, just rip line, through the water like a bullet. Krazy-but loved the experience. haha.

Upvote 0

Cribbg

Cribbg
Jun 23, 2009
San Diego,CA.USA
Name
Norm
Boat
-
All I know Larry, is we were apprx 50 miles from the Pt. I'm guessing maybe 20-25mi off the Mex. coast, as best I heard. I know one thing......we had lots of Seagulls pickin our baits, n trying to get into the bait tank, swooping down overhead.........so, .....we couldn't have been tooo far offshore I'd surmise. Hope that helps a Lil.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
All I know Larry, is we were apprx 50 miles from the Pt. I'm guessing maybe 20-25mi off the Mex. coast, as best I heard. I know one thing......we had lots of Seagulls pickin our baits, n trying to get into the bait tank, swooping down overhead.........so, .....we couldn't have been tooo far offshore I'd surmise. Hope that helps a Lil.

Damn, as bad as those damn booby's at San Martin last sunday diving down 40+ft getting
our baits? That was crazy trying to get a bait down. LOL We got our yellows though by god. LOL

Upvote 0

JTL750

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 8, 2013
SD
Name
Str8up Jesse
Boat
SS Bobber
Alright Norm! Way to go man!!

I have another 1.5 day leaving tomorrow night. Way to be prepared with the right jigs. I just bought my first wahoo bombs to take with me also. Hopefully I can join the hoo crew!

Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
Awesome that you got your first hoo, congrats!

For wahoo, I never use wire when throwing jigs . I use a 3 foot leader of 150# floro tied directly to jig and crimped to a small black solid ring which is tied to my mono. This setup will enable you to hook way more fish and land a very high percentaqe of them. Remember to point the rod at the fish and keep winding no matter what after the fish is hooked, even when you are running from the bow to the stern or vice-versa. Never stop grinding. If there is any slack in the line, the wahoo have a tendency to spit the hook.

Reactions: afraser and Cribbg
Upvote 0

Cribbg

Cribbg
Jun 23, 2009
San Diego,CA.USA
Name
Norm
Boat
-
Upvote 0

Cribbg

Cribbg
Jun 23, 2009
San Diego,CA.USA
Name
Norm
Boat
-
Thks Markus. It was a pleasure to fish with all of you again. Many regulars llike you Ron, Tom, Mike, Mike n Mike, Stewart, Leanne, John, n several my mind escapes me. Hope to get one more in before the season shuts down. THEN, its crappie fishing in the off season, n buy me one of these new 7:3 to 1 ratio Daiwa reels to use for jig winding. HOOKUP! :o)

Norm,
Congratulations to You and Scott (God's Chosen Men) .

Marcus.

Upvote 0

Cribbg

Cribbg
Jun 23, 2009
San Diego,CA.USA
Name
Norm
Boat
-
Thanks for info n heads up Andre. I like that idea of the heavier 100-150# mono leader. We had two on bait-- lip hooked I'm sure, or they'd hv been cut off. Esp, after seeing those jaw bone cutters-wow! We had one on a Crocodile jig. N mine Bl/chrome Tady 9. Several folks throwing jigs pulled hooks, on treble hook jigs, n got sawed off. I will say it was a bucket list experience for me. Knowing now, afterwards, I did not power thru wind on previous hookup bout 10 mins B4 decking that fish. I thought it was like fighting any other hooked fish on a jig. I'm changing game plan throwing jigs off those kelp paddies. now. Thks

Awesome that you got your first hoo, congrats!

For wahoo, I never use wire when throwing jigs . I use a 3 foot leader of 150# floro tied directly to jig and crimped to a small black solid ring which is tied to my mono. This setup will enable you to hook way more fish and land a very high percentaqe of them. Remember to point the rod at the fish and keep winding no matter what after the fish is hooked, even when you are running from the bow to the stern or vice-versa. Never stop grinding. If there is any slack in the line, the wahoo have a tendency to spit the hook.[/quo

Last edited:
Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Im dusting my boat off....next weekend wahoo city!:)congrats on your wahoo!Every fisherman I know wants a wahoo right now.

I hope when I retire im still going strong...you give me hope.

Upvote 0

Cribbg

Cribbg
Jun 23, 2009
San Diego,CA.USA
Name
Norm
Boat
-
I heard today Sun, they are on the Bfin tuna at Cortez bank. Geez! it doesn't end yet. Fish to 30 lbs, as I heard from 976tuna.com. Don't put away them rods yet. Hookup!!'
--
AND Yes! that Memorial Day 2015-4 day trip sold out in 5 days. News n signups spread like wildfire.
==
Im dusting my boat off....next weekend wahoo city!:)congrats on your wahoo!Every fisherman I know wants a wahoo right now.

I hope when I retire im still going strong...you give me hope.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
I heard today Sun, they are on the Bfin tuna at Cortez bank. Geez! it doesn't end yet. Fish to 30 lbs, as I heard from Terrence's website.com. Don't put away them rods yet. Hookup!!'
--
AND Yes! that Memorial Day 2015-4 day trip sold out in 5 days. News n signups spread like wildfire.
==

BLUEFIN....HAVE MERCY....more work to do then when the wind settles down?? LOL

Upvote 0

wieisme

Aug 21, 2014
San Diego
Name
James
Boat
22' IMP
I heard today Sun, they are on the Bfin tuna at Cortez bank. Geez! it doesn't end yet. Fish to 30 lbs, as I heard from Terrence's website.com. Don't put away them rods yet. Hookup!!'
--
==
Just got back from that trip and it was EPIC!! John and the crew made the decision to take us way off shore to Cortez to chase the Tuna as to paddie shopping for dodo's...

Sorry to hijack your tread Norm...

After you post i went out and picked up a few bombs and raiders to only keep them in the box lol

Upvote 0