Condor, Tomahwak, Sea Adventure or Ocean Odyssey in late Sept early Oct?

PENN

dballisloose

Oct 19, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Daniel Ball
Hi, I know everyone has their own boat preference, and I'm not really asking for that here. What I'd like to know is whether these 4 boats target the different things in late September or early October, or if they'll all basically be fishing for the same thing? I've spent the better part of the morning reading the forums, Youtube, etc and the impression I get is that Tomahawk really focuses on the BFT all the time, whereas the other boats fish BFT when convenient, but around September, the other three boats focus more on YFT and yellowtail. I'm trying to decide which of the 4 boats to book for a 1.5 day trip. Catching a BFT would be nice, but I'd be just as happy getting a bunch of 15-25# YFT and some yellowtail. So I appreciate your kind replies to my naive question.

Upvote 0

dballisloose

Oct 19, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Daniel Ball
I fished the Condor over Labor Day last year and 2/3 days we went for bluefin tuna. Great boat, I enjoyed myself. I have not fished the others.

So am I correct in understanding that while you targeted BFT, you guys fished for other species too? I'm trying to find old fish reports from those months, but if I could then I wouldn't have to ask.

E
ExMNFisher
We killed the dorado than went up north and targeted BFT because the YFT were so small. You can email the Captains, but I double any will know until than to see what is available.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2015
Vancouver
Name
Steve
Boat
Zodiac
They typically go for what will fill the boat unless it's a BFT or Bust private charter.

Go Condor. Really big comfy boat thats well run, loads of rail space. The newer Captain of Tomahawk is doing really well, it didn't have as nice of a smooth ride but fishes well so I'd jump on again maybe.

Top Gun 80 is worth a look too and usually has space, great state rooms and rides nice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
Kona
Name
Jesse Sanders
Boat
Basic Research
Hi, I know everyone has their own boat preference, and I'm not really asking for that here. What I'd like to know is whether these 4 boats target the different things in late September or early October, or if they'll all basically be fishing for the same thing? I've spent the better part of the morning reading the forums, Youtube, etc and the impression I get is that Tomahawk really focuses on the BFT all the time, whereas the other boats fish BFT when convenient, but around September, the other three boats focus more on YFT and yellowtail. I'm trying to decide which of the 4 boats to book for a 1.5 day trip. Catching a BFT would be nice, but I'd be just as happy getting a bunch of 15-25# YFT and some yellowtail. So I appreciate your kind replies to my naive question.
Sawmill sounds downright diplomatic. If you like for everbody to get yelled at ALOT go on the Tomahawk! It's a once in a lifetime experience!

• Haha
Reactions: Sawmill killer
Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2015
Vancouver
Name
Steve
Boat
Zodiac
Sawmill sounds downright diplomatic. If you like for everbody to get yelled at ALOT go on the Tomahawk! It's a once in a lifetime experience!
I haven't heard that yet hehe....maybe guys weren't listening.

I'm sure he's nicer than the cook was a few years ago (not on the boat anymore)....that guy was nuts.

Upvote 0

mowitlow

Apr 5, 2010
So Cal
Name
Ron
Boat
21 ft. Mastercraft
Fished all these boats ,most of them several times. except for the Sea Adv
In my opinion I'd go on the Tomahawk no question!

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
check out the O. O ,
owner Operator , would be my Choice

Upvote 0

Noname

🍺 🍻🥂🥃
May 29, 2009
san diego
Name
Phuc Dat Bich
Boat
2320 parker
I would check their fish counts and make the decision, Tomahawk will demand 20% tip, don't care if you get fish or not

Upvote 0

j4trout

Jun 3, 2013
DVL
Name
JOSEPH
Boat
18' Reef Runner
I'm on the Sea Adventure 80 oct 15 for a 3 day along with 3 of my idiot friends. Went last year on this boat and enjoyed everything about it.

Upvote 0