Condor Overnight Aug 26th advice needed

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by DennisV, Jun 9, 2018.

1. DennisV

DennisV Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat:
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    I'm heading down to SD on business, but I'm going to sneak in a day of fishing while I'm there.

I'm a very experienced fisherman from bluegill to marlin, fly or conventional gear.
    Commercial salmon troller, Masters ticket AK Halibut captain.

But . . . My San Diego cattle boat experience consists of exactly one 3/4 day rat yellow trip in 1983.

In other words, I don't know shit and am a greenhorned menace to society.

I could use a little advice on a minimalist gear list that covers most of the bases without bringing the kitchen sink. I'm assuming YT, BFT, YFT, are the target species at that time, but not quite sure of the size range to gear up for.

I'm limiting my lures to flat falls, snipers and maybe a popper or two.

Do I really have to toss my dark green braid and put on something more visible?$?$ o_O

Don't wanna be That Guy

FishAcquisition likes this.
  2. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    a one day overnight?Fish with what you have,ask the deck hands for help on leader and hook size.If your really worried about it rent a couple outfits from the landing for what they have been catching.JMO,Tom

3. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    You don’t need to switch the braid, just need to be more vigilant with dark braid as it tends to “disappear” especially in low light conditions. A longish mono topshot (50-100’) helps too if you are worried about tangles.

No clue what the fishing will be like then. I’d check the counts a week before and that will give you somewhat a better idea. Could be 2lb yellows to 150lb bluefin.

Typical Tackle is 25lb, 40lb and 60-80lb live bait setups. Maybe toss a flatfall or two in there and you are probably set for 90+% of what happens.

Fishdood, dtf, tugasangler and 2 others like this.
  4. bob1825

bob1825 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    An overnight in August, you should be good with:20-30, 40 and 60/80# set ups. No need to change your spectra. Good luck!

FishAcquisition likes this.
  5. Noah & Scoot

Noah & Scoot Wishin I Was Fishin

Name:
    Scoot
    Boat:
    18’ CC Baja
    Bring Patients! Have fun!

6. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    You won’t know anything about your target species and size until a week before (maybe two if you are lucky). Things can change fast out here so my advice is to stay informed, watch the counts, and ask this same question around early August. You can spend ten times as much as you need to starting too early. Most of all, enjoy your time on the water and good luck.

tugasangler and FishAcquisition like this.
  7. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Green or any other dark braid should be forbidden on any type of cattle boat. It’s impossible to see the line and place your casts around that line correctly.

8. jayyyy

jayyyy Member

Name:
    jay
    Boat:
    '04 Sea Pro 220 WA
    That's prime time to go but it's way too early to have any idea what you'll be fishing for. Could be 12-20 lb yellowtail or 100lb tuna, either way you should have a great time.

9. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Even if there is a full load, which is not too likely if you are going out anytime other than the weekend, there is always a lot of fishing room on the CONDOR. And your dark green braid would only be a possible issue if you were fishing in the night, and you won't be on an overnight. They will run as far as the night lets them to get out to the offshore banks, and start trolling and looking for kelps and sonar schools at dawn. And by early afternoon they will start heading back towards San Diego.

Take 20# and 40# gear, and if you feel like it a heavy rig, 60# or higher, for the just-in-case situation or if you want to use your own gear to troll. You will almost certainly use your 20# gear almost always. If you find a school that wants to die, switch to the 40#. You will very likely find offshore yellowtail, and they will mostly be no problem on 20# because they can't rock you in a mile of water. The tuna will also be school size of less than 30 pounds almost always. If you get a school of bigger ones, the 40# gear will usually suffice.

The CONDOR lets you pick and reserve a bunk in advance, no mad scramble to throw your pack on a bunk like some overnight-run boats. I see some grey in your beard, so if you are like me and need a middle bunk or a larger bunk (or both) then talk with the Fisherman's Landing guys soon and they can hook you up. Take a big towel, even if you don't plan to take a shower you can use the towel to make a cover between your bunk and the one above to make it darker to sleep and to keep the air conditioning from blowing too hard onto you. Take your trolling rotation, the CONDOR keeps excellent track of the five numbers at a time and usually doesn't go over an hour, and catches more troll fish than most of the fleet. I got bit three times out of seven rotations on my last trip a couple of weeks ago.

I'm looking forward to your report!

esgeo, fishstomp and FishAcquisition like this.
  10. Tom Honaker

Tom Honaker Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom Honaker
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    I don't know if they fish a kite on the condor for big bluefin, having a rigged yummy flier might not be a bad idea!

11. DennisV

Name:
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat:
    Ok, good stuff here. Thanks

1. Surfgoose, I'm 6'4" 275lbs. Which bunk do I reserve and what bunks to avoid ?

2. Define the perfect 25lb rig, a 40lb rig, an 80lb rig ?

3. Likely available bait and size which leads to . . .

4. Sizes and qty of hooks to bring. I'm a ringed circle hook guy normally but wouldn't expect a pinhead to drag one around.

5. I'm flying out late the next day. Is there a fish processor nearby that can vacuum pack and freeze a catch in time to make that flight?

6. I'm pretty fond of my ancient Braid belt / harness but am thinking that being clipped into that harness might be a big pain in the ass following a fish around with 30 odd guys on the rail. Bring it or leave it ?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  12. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Likely won't need a harness, you can use the rail. Hooks will depend on bait size which can vary,check when you get to the landing,grab a couple packs in the shop. There are a couple fish processors that will take care of all that for you almost hassle free but it'll cost you a few bucks but worth it.
    As far as rigs, run what you brung. Something with 25 for flyling live bait,40 that can double for bait and throwing a jig and 80-100 lb rig for trolling and if there's big fish around.
    I haven't fished on the Condor since it was in Santa Barbara. It used to have a metal spiral staircase that went downstairs. Seemed like someone would fall on that thing every trip.
    Be aware that parking can be a bitch so give your self plenty of time or consider Uber.
    Fishy boat, you'll have fun

13. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Dennis -- There are two bunk rooms in the CONDOR, the main forward room and a smaller stern room. The stern room has eight wide, long bunks top/bottom, the lower is wider and not on the deck so easy to get into and out of. The top bunk is plenty big enough for me and I'm three inches taller than you are, and you just step onto the wider lower bunk to get up and down, no problem. The crew uses one set of bunks, that leaves three pairs left for Shamu-size fishermen like you and me. Call the landing office and tell them that you are booked on the trip and want to reserve one of the stern double bunks. (The uppers are darker, the lowers are easier to pull boots on.)

There are a bunch of rod holders, bring whatever you feel comfortable flying with. I take six rigs, two each of 20#, 40# and 80# but I'm not flying. When I fly to Mexico I don't take that much. My 20# rigs are an Okuma CZ-5 on a Calstar 608 and an Okuma Trio Baitfeeder 6500 on a Daiwa Proteus 80MFS 30-55. The 40# rigs are a Penn 113HN Baja on a Shimano Teramar TMC-76XH 50-100 and a Fin-Nor Lethal 100 on a Shimano Tallus TLS722XH 50-100. You can use the boats' trolling gear so don't bother with a heavy rig. The boat does have a kite and sometimes flies it with a Yummee, but I really doubt that it will be used on an overnight. It takes two crewmen to run it properly, and on an overnight they will be up high with binoculars looking for kelps.

The bait will be good sardines, mostly medium sized. I use #2/0 ringed J hooks and #1/0 ringed circles on the 20#, bigger on the 40#. Use the rail if necessary, probably won't be, have a fighting cup but no harness.

In looking through the past decade of my fishing notes on trips in August and September that were overnights out of San Diego, the fish encountered were yellowtail, yellowfin and bluefin tuna, and dorado, and 95% were less than twenty pounds each. I got a handful of twenty plus to forty pounds. So lighter gear is the way to go. The people on the trips who stayed with heavier line and bigger gear hoping for the larger fish (including me, sometimes) mostly did not connect.

The processor Fisherman's Processing just a couple of miles from the landing has a big watertight "trash bin" type receptacle outside their location, with a combination lock. Call them and make arrangements to set the code, and then you use colored zip ties that they provide in a can by the container to mark your fish, and you put the fish into the chilled water. The next morning they fillet and vacuum-seal your fish into portions, and keep it on ice until you pick it up. Fly out one of your airline-capable coolers, fill it with fish and fly it home. Bring money. Or, the processor can ship it to your home in a few days probably a lot cheaper.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    mackereljoe and Retired1 like this.
  14. DennisV

Name:
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat:
    Thanks goose. I reserved the double J bunk aft.
    Great tip !

surfgoose likes this.
  15. dannykl1957

dannykl1957 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    daniel klein
    Boat:
    none
    Pretty much what everyone else said. The Condor with Scott M. is a great operation and they catch fish. Captain and crew will be super helpful;count on that.

You'll have a great time.

16. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    I've yet to post a report bc I just don't have the time right now, but I gave the Condor a try last weekend and was extremely impressed with their knowledge and experience. They're definitely one of my favorites now, if not my singular favorite.

17. Fishdood

Fishdood Fishgistics

Name:
    Austin
    Boat:
    The One Fishing
    Bring a 20lb setup you can cast with a size 2-1/0 hook

Bring a 40lb setup you can cast with a 1/0-3/0 hook

Bring a 60lb 2 speed setup if you want.

Bring a surface iron setup if you want.

Go fishing and catch fish.

18. DennisV

Name:
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat:
    Got it.

Any dropper loop or torpedo on a rubber band fishing likely ?

surfgoose likes this.
  19. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    Anything's possible, but probably not. The squid bite seems to be later, probably be mostly surface action in late August with the water temps at a peak, if you need weight you can ask the landing before leaving to come down if you should bring a couple torpedos, or just buy a pack right before shoving off the dock. I don't leave without them, but I literally call my tackle bag the kitchen sink because there is nothing excluded, and with bluefin you never really know what you'll find. Or at least from what I've seen, but I think others will agree that there's no such thing as being over-prepared for them for how finicky they are

20. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Dennis, I always have a 2 ounce torpedo sinker with a rubber band in my shirt pocket when I am fishing a nose-hooked sardine. Sometimes you are on a long drift off of a kelp paddy, and when the sardine is fifty yards or more away and I feel that it should be reeled-in and changed, I'll take the line and do an over-wrap with the rubber band and drop it over the side. Off in the distance the tired sardine has no choice, he will put his nose down and swim down on a diagonal towards the dropping sinker, thus covering the whole water column. I have picked up some nice fish down at 150 feet that way, who were not interested in coming all of the way up to chase a sardine, but couldn't resist a buffet presentation down at the thermocline.

This is why I usually nose-hook my sardine. If the fish aren't right up on top crashing the chum (which is when I butt-hook so that they swim down a bit, for no more than two minutes) then I do the long soak and swim-down tactic.