CONDOR hunts for Bluefin

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by surfgoose, May 29, 2017.

1. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    The real start of the CONDOR offshore season is the annual four-day trip over the Memorial Day Weekend. We just got back into Fisherman's Landing early this morning (Memorial Day) and here is my wrap-up report and a few pictures.

We always have a great group of anglers aboard, about 3/4 very experienced and 1/4 new to offshore adventures, and as always we got along great. Everybody was patient and helpful to each other, which always makes for a better trip. The leaving time got moved up three hours several weeks before last Thursday, but for various reasons there were three people who never noticed or got the word or whatever, so at 11am we left to go over to the bait receivers and spent over an hour there carefully loading a great batch of sardines, and then returned to the landing and picked up the last people. Then a brief meeting with Capt. Scott Meisel who introduced the crew of Matt Arnold, Scott Caslin, Sam Whelden, Christophe the French chef, and mentioned that we might run into our night firewatch crewman Vinnie if we were up in the small hours.

The plan was to head south-west to a few miles outside of the Coronado Islands where the majority of the fleet was hunting for Bluefin and see how the weather looked, and roll south towards Colonet Reef (our traditional destination on this trip) on Friday if the weather permitted. So DAY ONE was a Bluefin hunt. We got into the area in a few hours, started trolling rotation at about 3pm. Within a half-hour we were pulling in the trolling lines because we were seeing breaking fish a couple of hundred yards away or the sonar was lighting-up with a school down ten to twenty fathoms. And that was how the rest of the day went, starting to troll but within fifteen to twenty minutes we would bring the lines in and start tossing chum sardines to try to get the school interested, and everybody would try bait either flylined or with weights, or flat-falls or other lures, but to no avail. It was fun to play with the fish, and WOW there are a lot of Bluefin schools swimming up our coastline, but they just were not in the mood to play with us. It was overcast and cool, the sea was very calm, no whitecaps at all. It must have been like this for the early explorers, naming our ocean "Peaceful" because they hadn't had any experience with it at the time. At full dark we shut it down and had a nice spaghetti dinner and drifted in the area overnight.

DAY TWO started overcast and as calm as a lake. We fired up the motors and started looking around at 5:45am, and at least a dozen other big sportfishers were all around us. Trolling rotations began to be frustrating because at least every fifteen minutes you had to suddenly reel in your boat gear because a school would be located on sonar and we would circle and everyone would drop either a bait or a lure. At about 6:20am Steve "Hammer" Riggs got us on the board with about a 25 pound Bluefin. He was taking a chance because some pretty large Bluefin were in the area, but he was using a little 2-speed with 25-pound line and a #1 J-hook, and he got it in nicely. Upon seeing that, most of us stopped using the 40 and 50-pound gear and dropped way down in an effort to get bit. Another school a half-hour later gave us a couple of slightly larger Bluefin.

Christophe gave you your choice of either a machaca burrito on green tortilla or ham & egg & bacon breakfast sandwiches that Friday. All his morning meals were accompanied by bluesy rock & roll, and were an excellent way to start the day. I'm not going to detail all of the great food that we were presented with, I'll just say that I started ordering "small portions, please" and I still gained a pound a day for the four days. Lots of great cooks in the fleet now! For myself, I am more at home with Christophe's cuisine than the fare provided on some of the really expensive boats which probably deserve a Michelin star. I'm not that fancy of a guy.

We kept stopping on meter marks and one by one we picked up several more Bluefin, and the light tackle also cost us a couple. About 3pm the sun came out and the wind picked up a bit, and a little later a double jig strike had us excited for a minute but it turned out to be a pair of nice large bonito, and a third bonito was landed after biting a flylined sardine. We kept trying for Bluefin within a dozen miles or so south-west of the Coronado Islands until full dark when we called a halt. The decision was made to start heading down the coast towards Colonet Reef although the weather was starting to get snotty. During the late afternoon one of the fishermen was starting to get seasick as the boat started rolling, but I had an extra Transderm-Scop patch and after he assured me that he wasn't allergic I put it on him, and after sleeping upright in the galley for a few hours he started to feel better and then was OK for the following days. I have a lot of sympathy for that affliction, since my wife's hormones have started going bonkers she now gets seasick on wet grass, and I still miss her when I go offshore. It's not as much fun without her aboard.

DAY THREE (SATURDAY) Was bumpy, overcast and windy. We got down to Capt. Scott's favorite high spot at about 8am, but it was horrible fishing conditions. The water looked bad, and the current was absolutely ripping. If you dropped a 16-ounce lure or sinker at the bow, it would hit the 200 foot bottom at about the time you had stepped the complete length of the boat. With a big bow in the line. And two dozen fishermen were now jammed across the 25-foot beam of the stern. NOT FUN. In an hour only a single small lingcod was caught. Capt. Scott said that there was nothing on his sonar, no yellowtail or anything. So after going downhill all night to get there, we gave it up and started beating our way Northwest along the 500-fathom curve after only an hour at Colonet Reef. No other sportboats were there either, I guess the word was being passed that it wasn't the place to be.

About 9:30am the sun came out, and although it was still windy and bumpy, it was a good sign to me. We were still doing the trolling rotations, and I really like that the CONDOR policy is to rotate about every hour. If you didn't want to take your turn you didn't have to, but for those of us who find trolling a challenge and a hopeful activity, it was good to get several turns each day. For me, it beats sitting in the galley and eating snacks that I sure don't need. At about 11am a garage-door size kelp is seen a couple of hundred yards away, and we maneuver the boat so that we can drift past it to see if anyone is at home. And it was full of hungry small yellowtail, about three to six pounds each! After two full days of frustration, it was really a nice release for everyone to drop down in gear and play with them. LOTS of releases, and some were kept too of course, it was about an hour of actual fishing in the sunshine on a deep blue sea without another boat anywhere around the horizon. Magic. I tagged one, I have an Asian neighbor who always wants a small whole fish like that if I can bring her one, and then hooked&handed to a couple of the new anglers until they got the idea. The only way to teach someone how to follow their fish and get out of tangles is to give them the opportunity to learn, and hopefully NOT on a big tuna. Then I wondered if there might be something else down below the small yellowtail, perhaps using them as a snack, so I got out the 40-pound gear and started dropping different yo-yo irons. Alas, it was not to be. But still fun to try.

As the afternoon progressed it got windier and rougher, and we had to slow down to avoid burying our nose in the waves. At the 8pm dinner we were still about forty miles south of the Coronado Islands.

DAY FOUR (SUNDAY) We were back where we had left from late Friday, a dozen miles south-west of the Coronados and back with the rest of the fleet. It stayed bumpy and windy, although with sunshine, and we started looking for breaking fish and meter marks. At about 9:45am and perhaps the tenth stop on a meter mark there finally was a biter, and Chong Ha Lee in full ninja gear got dragged all around the boat by a Bluefin while being assisted by crewman Sam Whelden, and finally gaffed a nice fish of about 40 pounds, the biggest so far. We would stop about every twenty minutes or so on a meter mark, it was amazing to me how many fish were out there, all over from ten to twenty fathoms. About every third or fourth school someone would get bit, and about two out of three would get landed. They mostly wanted light lines and small hooks, and on the meter marks you couldn't be sure of their size. If the school turned out to be nice 25 to 35 pounders you had a chance, and if they were the big boys they would just head for Peru and you could wave good-bye. A momentary highlight of the afternoon was the simultaneous sighting of some breaking fish ahead by both us and the TRIBUTE, and both Captains pushed the throttles ahead and we were in a real race for a couple of minutes, both boats throwing whitewater at the bows as we pounded ahead like PT boats making a run at an enemy cruiser. But then the TRIBUTE turned away, conceding to us the school, and it would be nice to report that we got a biter out of that spot of fish, but nope, they sank out and ignored us.

A little later on another school "Hammer" Riggs got bit again on his light two-speed with the 25-pound line and the little hook, and he passed it to Glenda to fight so that she might get one too. It was obviously a better fish than most, and crewman Scott Caslin stayed right by her side as she went around two-thirds of the boat and ended up at the port bow after about twenty minutes. Inch by inch they were getting it closer, and at deep color it was certain to be a challenger for the jackpot. But suddenly the little J-hook slipped out of the hole that it had torn in the fish, and it sank down into the depths. We lost about a third of the fish hooked on this trip, in my experience not a bad average for Bluefin fishing, but every one is a heartbreaker. One guy actually had his hook break, and I can count those events on one hand in over sixty years of blue water fishing. Anyway, Glenda did a terrific job, and was a good sport about how it ended.

At the end of the day we called the trip, and in the darkness started heading back East towards San Diego while the crew got the fish out of the RSW hold and got ready to fillet for those who wanted it. We ended up with 11 Bluefin, 62 yellowtail, 3 big bonito and one small lingcod. And whether you got to tag a Bluefin or not (and I didn't, again) you knew that you had been on a serious hunt for them! Back at the landing there was some unexpected generosity among the group of anglers, as fish were shared among new friends, and I have to especially call out John Cook, who was not only a Top Gun in hooking and landing the spooky Bluefin, tagging two, but then gave both of them away to a pair of visiting Arizona anglers. It was a real pleasure to share a rail with Norm and Marcus and Brandon and David and all of the rest. Two dozen very talented people, and I hope to learn more from all of you in the future. I'll post a few pictures, feel free to jump in with your own impressions of the trip.

2017-05-26 08.09.43.jpg 2017-05-26 12.55.06.jpg 2017-05-28 09.07.58.jpg 2017-05-28 09.41.36.jpg 2017-05-28 09.48.24.jpg 2017-05-29 05.03.16.jpg

2. J-Dog

J-Dog Member

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    43' Bertram "PierFection"
    Very nice report. Thanks

surfgoose and Tunahead like this.
  3. esgeo

esgeo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    nope
    Great writeup! Thanks for sharing. Any stomach-based insights about what the bft that got landed have been feeding on?

surfgoose likes this.
  4. moezmoe

moezmoe Dead Magic

Name:
    Moe
    Boat:
    The one im on

surfgoose likes this.
  5. moezmoe

moezmoe Dead Magic

Name:
    Moe
    Boat:
    The one im on
    Great fishing with you and all aboard I fished my ass off with 25lb and 15 Blackwater, nada. Then 50lb works, UGG Thanks for the DORA43, that gave me a great laugh. Not my first rodeo and got sea sick. When this fish turns on, be there!!!

marcusmillo, Cribbg and surfgoose like this.
  6. moezmoe

moezmoe Dead Magic

Name:
    Moe
    Boat:
    The one im on
    [s Ill see that yellow braid in my nightmares LOLOL

surfgoose and Tunahead like this.
  7. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    We'll I missed the trip, gave up my spot and double bunk to Surfgoose, and
    he didn't even bring me some bluefin by....I tell ya. Sorry I missed it, but looked
    pretty scratch all weekend for all boats. I ended up in the ER Friday for some
    outside shoulder infection surgery. Real fun. Glad you all made the most of it,
    we'll have better days soon. hopefully.! LOL GREAT REPORT and good read! LOL

8. Dudley613

Dudley613 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    21' Cole superhawk "Beep Beep", 20' bayrunner open
    Great read, you tell a good story. Thanks for the report!

9. Joda

Joda Member

Name:
    Jonathan c
    Boat:
    one day
    Thanks for the report! Sounds like a great trip regardless of the count!

moezmoe and surfgoose like this.
  10. Blue Frontier

Blue Frontier Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ton
    Boat:
    USS Enterprise
    Thanks for the great report

surfgoose likes this.
  11. Cribbg

Cribbg Cribbg

Name:
    Norm
    Boat:
    -
    Nice report Gary. I kept calling you goose, as I couldn't recall ur name. Haha. I must say, after several yrs of making this trip, it was tough fishing. I did manage a solo 22 lb ytail off that kelp, and several smaller ones that were shared too. I think those big bruisers are still making there way up north. It was good to fish with all again n meet couple new folks. Until next trip. Hookup!!!

12. lougio

lougio Capt Lou

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    Nice report, thanks!

surfgoose likes this.
  13. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    No wonder they did not catch fish Ron, you jinxed them all the way by not going?

surfgoose likes this.
  14. Tunahead

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    OF course, RON DID IT, they blame me for everything, even when MIA....LOL LOL
    Doc said no surgery today, no bike riding, no fishing until healed up!!! Soon hopefully!!!
    Good luck fishing all! Hope to see you soon! TC

jiggyn, surfgoose and moezmoe like this.
  15. Nicholas Thomas

Nicholas Thomas Newbie

Name:
    Saleens03
    Boat:
    Sea Ray Weekender
    GARY! Its Nick, your favorite Turners customer!!! Me and my twin brother also tried to jump on this 4-day trip but was beat out my all the people as this was a bargain deal! We ended up jumping on the 2.5 day boat, The Chief during this same weekend. Went down to Colonet but not shallow high point as we didn't have Visas. Kelp Paddy hopping 30 miles out of Colonet produced 55 fun yellowtail. Small but fun, and yes, I KEPT THEM ALL! Fed a hungry Memorial Day party at my house nicely upon my return. All in all, wish we hit the Blue-fin but cant blame anyone for that, as everyone knows that getting them to BITE is one of the most difficult things to do. If you got the secret please let me know. Maybe I should just put my spearfishing gear on and take my gun down about 50 ft and blast them from a short distance...probably will have better luck. Anyways, love your post Gary. We ended up booking the Condor 4-day trip during Labor day with my twin bro, best friend and his dad. Very much looking forward to that trip. Till then, Tight lines Gary! See you soon buddy.

surfgoose likes this.
  16. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Thanks, Nick. Bluefin tuna are just like hunting big game animals in the mountains, you know they are there, you get to see them, but getting the opportunity to get a shot at them is a whole different matter. I really wish that I had a secret that I could share with you, but I don't. I've taken a fair number in the past, but for the last 18 months they have not cooperated at all with me. This last CONDOR trip was days number 7,8,9, and 10 in a row that I have pursued them without tagging one.

I think that taking along your spearfishing gear is not a bad idea. I was tempted several times to go full pirate, put a knife in my teeth and dive in after them. When they roll ten feet past the stern and look at you and flip a fin at you, you KNOW what they are saying!

Tunahead and Black-is-Back like this.
  17. Tunahead

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Don't complain, I just ended up 5 days in the hospital and surgery
    for scar tissue infection. Be glad you're on the water when you can.
    I hope to be out in a month or two. GOOD LUCK FISHING EVERYONE! LOL

Hardcor likes this.
  18. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    I feel your pain brother

Microbait and Tunahead like this.
  19. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    C'mon Ron, we all suspect that you just have a crush on your cute physical therapist and keep figuring out ways to stay in her care.

Seriously though, it's good to hear that you are making progress, and will not have to write off this whole season. Hang tough, buddy!

Tunahead likes this.
  20. Cabrachupa

Cabrachupa Iron & Wine

Name:
    Mick Reilly
    Boat:
    No Boat
    Herein lies a tail or lack of. The joy is mostly in the expectancy.