CONDOR Columbus Day 2016

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by marcusmillo, Oct 10, 2016.

1. marcusmillo

marcusmillo Israel Supporter

Name:
    Marcus
    Boat:
    NA
    Day 1:

We left the dock around 11.05 AM on 10/06. Scott as the Captain, Vince as second. Rob, Matt and Scotty on the deck and Christof as cook (he entertained us the whole trip).

We filled in our Bait tank and slammer from the receivers with decent sardines. Kill Song is on Shogun . See pic.Scott learnt from other boats and decided to go south. He made a stop at the islands. We fed some of the pigs there with bait and yielded zero fish. Scott decided to go south. No change of plans. Few blind jig strikes for a few small FYT . Then he found some breaking fish. He thought we will score, but we ended with a dozen or so YFT. Day light was over. Scott heard from another boat down south around 160 miles and pointed towards south.

The day ended with Glenda’s Chocolate cake.

Day 2:

We woke up and saw one boat out there. Then the hunt began. There were not a lot of Patty’s/Kelp. Then Scott stopped at one small kelp holding some fish . It was instant for anything that hit the water . Only a few fish were kept and all the other gained freedom. The kelp was loaded with small YFT and YT . It was not easy to get past the YT . At one point no body was near the bait tank. All of us were using the jigs/lures and even Gaff (lol). We should have limited ( for the trip) if we were keeping fish.

Scott decided to go look for another kelp . Yes, he found another one in a few. Same result like the previous patty. Nonstop. The two stops were aquarium style.

Day 3:

Scott received some intel from another Boat and decided to look further west. We were unable to spot a patty/kelp until mid-day. Everybody’s hand were itching. We even thought there was no life in the Ocean. Then all of a sudden the newly retired man Hammer hooked a blue Wahoo. (short bill speared fish?) . It was game on for few minutes. Using his strength, he pulled that and brought near gaff length to take some pics and video. Then it was let go. Then Scott stopped at a small kelp . It started with YT , then some decent DODO’s , a few YFT and then Skippy. It was a repeat of the previous day. Nobody was interested to keep the YT or even YFT. At this time, we were 170 miles south and 70 miles west, closer to Lupe. We saw one of the three boats way to lupe or out.

Scott at this time, decided to burn 500 gallons and put us on fish. He called everybody to the Galley and laid his plan.

Day 4:

We were at Cortez around 9 AM with three other Boats to start. It was glass. Then after a few rounds scott stopped. Corey hooked the first bruiser. Then game on . YOYO and 4-ounce sinker was the key. Very challenging to beat the Bonita’s on top of the water column. Scotty teased everybody by hooking fish on all the colors using his Trini 40. We had a good time with YT. Glenda hooked the JP , Winston was the highlight for the day. Very calm young man. Landing fish after another. Then after 3PM the byte died. we saw 5 other Boats at Cortez. Day 4 saved the trip.

We (the regulars) had fun time Norm, Hammer, Glenda, Brian, Dennis, Chris .

I also met Mike, Corey very nice people from Santa Cruz. I hope others had fun also.

I looked at Matt’s hand was so sorry for the crew. cuts after cuts. Without them I am no go.

I gained 3 lbs . Christof!!!

I will post some pics. God at work .

please post yours.

PRAISE THE LORD.

Marcus

P1020586 (2).JPG P1020587 (2).JPG P1020589 (2).JPG P1020591 (2).JPG P1020593 (2).JPG P1020596 (2).JPG P1020601 (2).JPG P1020603 (2).JPG P1020604 (2).JPG P1020606 (2).JPG P1020607 (2).JPG P1020611 (2).JPG P1020613 (2).JPG P1020614.JPG P1020616 (2).JPG P1020618 (2).JPG P1020620 (2).JPG P1020621 (2).JPG P1020622.JPG

2. Cribbg

Cribbg Cribbg

Name:
    Norm
    Boat:
    -
    Great write up and pics Marcus. Thank you. It was good fishn w you again.
    I hated for trip to end, actually. A special thanks to Brian for changing bunks w my spine/leg issues. Lots of fish down south. It must be a nursery area though. Small fish n lots of them. Hopefully those fish will be our catch next season, n much bigger. Our last day sure made our trip of nice big Ytail.
    Glenda's was 35 lbs on my scale. Very nice n happy for her. Lookin forward to maybe one more trip. mu video of Shortbill Spearfish was too large to post. Thanks to all for a great time n great fellowship fishn. Till next time.
    Norm

Stafford84 and Chinny like this.
  3. SSUfish

SSUfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    n/a
    As Norm said, great write up. I wish I could have been there with you guys again but I'm stoked you got some. Good luck dropping those lbs after, haha!

4. kdrouet

kdrouet Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    M40 Knight and Carver
    Nice report name way to stick it out. What were the quality of BFT at Cortez?

5. r77toy

r77toy Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    none
    What colors were working for the YoYo's?

6. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice report, Marcus. Sounds like a great time!

That dude with the tank top and stars/stripes ball cap - I swear he must live on that boat somewhere! Maybe there's a hammock in the fish hold! LOL

7. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    Good job guys. Way to make the best of it. Too bad you didn't get into any of those big bluefin.

8. marcusmillo

marcusmillo Israel Supporter

Name:
    Marcus
    Boat:
    NA
    Blue/white , egg, Dorodo was the best
    i even had fish on JigSkinz , squid color and Sardine color.

9. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Great Report and Pics Marcus, glad you all had a fun time.
    Sorry I missed this trip this year, but then again all those rat
    yellows didn't wear out my Titanium Shoulder either. LOL
    Glenda getting JP Yellowtail and Hammer a Spearfish..TOO COOL!
    Only 3lbs? Hell you got off easy. Christopf usually puts 13lbs on me!!! LOL
    See you all again. Hope to do 1 more w/Norm maybe we'll see soon. TC

IF I don't see you still, HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE, SEE YA NEXT YEAR!!! LOL

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    Pgnracr likes this.
  10. Chinny

Chinny Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    21' Seaswirl Striper - Whitetrash
    Thanks for the write-up Marcus! We had a fun time and today Corey and I canned 8 cases of yellowtail. Tastes like tuna fish and will keep us happy until our next adventure. Great time with everybody and hope to do it again with you guys.

Mike

Stafford84 likes this.
  11. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    ONE MORE TIME! LETS ROCK!!!!

Pgnracr likes this.
  12. Pgnracr

Pgnracr Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Line up
    Nice report!!! I need to get out with all the guys and Scott.