Offshore Condor 9/16 - 9/19 EPIC!!!

Dubya

Aug 10, 2019
Oregon
Name
Dubya
Boat Name
Boatless
Be sure to let the Sharpie ink dry thoroughly and maybe even dab with a paper towel so it does not bleed on to other sections of your white spectra when wound back onto reel...
Good idea, will mark it on the way out and give it a break to dry before I wind it in and hit it with the paper towel on the way back onto the reel. Is general consensus that 500 ft worth of marks is good enough or should i go longer?

Reactions: woodfish330
Upvote 0

Robmhc

Jul 4, 2021
Inland Empire
Name
Rob Walter
Boat Name
-
I've always enjoyed my trips on the Condor. Greg got my dad on his first tuna. Super good dude.
Good idea, will mark it on the way out and give it a break to dry before I wind it in and hit it with the paper towel on the way back onto the reel. Is general consensus that 500 ft worth of marks is good enough or should i go longer?
500ft should be more than enough. I could be mistaken, but I think the deepest school was at 400ft.

Reactions: Rubberhook2
Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
Jan 19, 2007
San Clemente
Name
Tim
Boat Name
None
That is what I did, marks out to 500 feet.

Quite the scene at the local soccer fields...an orange cone every 100 feet with 6 reels white spectra stretched out across the field and me walking all over with a Sharpie in my hand...lol

Upvote 0

tmaz

Dec 2, 2005
SD
Name
TM
Boat Name
none
You can also score digital line counters on amazon to make it an easy task at your kitchen table or on the boat.

Upvote 0

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Apr 20, 2008
    sf, ca
    Name
    aaron
    Boat Name
    NA
    Nice writeup! Which sinker rig was being used? The new version with the hook inline above the sinker, or the one with the hook below the sinker? Also, you don't need to got to a soccer field to mark your line. Get a premium sharpie (get a big one and put a notch in it), put your rod in the trolling straps while under way and hand count out and mark every 50 feet (or use a line counter like above post suggested). Make sure you only let out line, no weights, or jigs or you will be railing the rod in low gear for 10 minutes to get your line back. I've never had the line bleed when I applied it to dry line so just do this before you fish. Mark to 500 feet, every 50 feet. Make sure you mark every 100 feet differently (eg. 1 long mark at 100, 2 long marks at 200, etc). You also have to use a little math if your line scopes out. At 30degrees, add 15% to your line for correct depth, at 45degrees, add 30%. More than that, reel in. As for the jig hooks, the 2 assist hooks on the top are good, I also put a 10/0 or 11/0 jobu hook on the bottom. 10/0 are much easier to get in a split ring. If you tie your line to a solid ring and connect it to a split ring, then you can attach assist hooks that either have or do not have solid rings at the top. It also allows you to swap out a lure without retying.

Upvote 0

Robmhc

Jul 4, 2021
    Inland Empire
    Name
    Rob Walter
    Boat Name
    -
    Nice writeup! Which sinker rig was being used? The new version with the hook inline above the sinker, or the one with the hook below the sinker? Also, you don't need to got to a soccer field to mark your line. Get a premium sharpie (get a big one and put a notch in it), put your rod in the trolling straps while under way and hand count out and mark every 50 feet (or use a line counter like above post suggested). Make sure you only let out line, no weights, or jigs or you will be railing the rod in low gear for 10 minutes to get your line back. I've never had the line bleed when I applied it to dry line so just do this before you fish. Mark to 500 feet, every 50 feet. Make sure you mark every 100 feet differently (eg. 1 long mark at 100, 2 long marks at 200, etc). You also have to use a little math if your line scopes out. At 30degrees, add 15% to your line for correct depth, at 45degrees, add 30%. More than that, reel in. As for the jig hooks, the 2 assist hooks on the top are good, I also put a 10/0 or 11/0 jobu hook on the bottom. 10/0 are much easier to get in a split ring. If you tie your line to a solid ring and connect it to a split ring, then you can attach assist hooks that either have or do not have solid rings at the top. It also allows you to swap out a lure without retying.
    I was using the new method ‘drop shot’ set-up. As far as I could tell I was the only person on the boat doing this. I can’t say it produced more strikes than the regular sinker rig because I watched a gentleman loose x4 in a row due to bad gear/light line.

2/0 circle/ring, 8oz weight/3ft-ish 20lb tied below.

I will say this… I could bomb it down 250ft and still feel the tail kick the entire time and still had a decent live bait when I brought it up. I could definitely get it down faster w/no tangles on the drop.

Upvote 0

Robmhc

Jul 4, 2021
    Inland Empire
    Name
    Rob Walter
    Boat Name
    -
    I was using the new method ‘drop shot’ set-up. As far as I could tell I was the only person on the boat doing this. I can’t say it produced more strikes than the regular sinker rig because I watched a gentleman loose x4 in a row due to bad gear/light line.

2/0 circle/ring, 8oz weight/3ft-ish 20lb tied below.

I will say this… I could bomb it down 250ft and still feel the tail kick the entire time and still had a decent live bait when I brought it up. I could definitely get it down faster w/no tangles on the drop.
    Hooked through lower law up through the nose. I ruined a few baits until I was able to successfully get one on.

Upvote 0