arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
Just got back from a great trip this morning... Not the best fishing-wise,(couldve been worse) but good times nonetheless, as always, on the Condor. Capt Scott took the day off, so we had Harlan, his 2nd, as the replacement captain to run the boat for the trip. We had Mike, Tad, Matt on deck, Billy in the galley, and 2nd Mike doing the nightdriving.

I got to fishermans landing around 5, checked in, dropped my rods off, went had Phil's bbq, then headed to the landing. Parking was packed, like it usually is, so I parked across the street at the Ramada Inn, paid the lobby woman 20 bucks to secure my spot...

Condor was comin in from an overnight rent rod charter... They had over 90 yellowfin for the day for 22 anglers.. And, whats more, is that apparently, none of the folks on this charter knew how to fish, so the deckhands and captain hooked and handed at least 50 fish. Anyways, things were looking great to say the least...

We boarded the boat right around 7:30. The action would be about 40 miles from SD, so there was no rush to leave. On the way out of the dock, there was a little mishap, not sure exactly what happened, but the boat ended up drifting onto a floating dock and pushing it out of place... The captain filed the report with the coast guard, but we still headed out to the bait receivers. After filling up bait, they required us to go back in to the harbor police station so that they can further investigate the claim. Procedure took a little while, and would've sucked if the fish were far away! They lagged us a couple of hours, and we were free and clear by about 11:30-midnight and headed out.

The gameplan was to hunt the tuna off of bird schools, spots of jumping fish, and meter marks. Paddies for the most part had the tiniest yellowtail i've ever seen, i mean 2-3 pounders, can't beleive they were able to make it out there without being eaten!

First thing in the morning, a trolling stop that yielded yellowfin tuna. We had a couple stops in the morning for a total of maybe 12-13 fish... I was lucky enough to get 2 first thing in the morning, both on bait.

Speaking of bait, we had a mix grade of sardine, as well as anchovie. One tank filled with anchovie was for chum and smaller fish, and the other tank had some horse deans and medium sized deans... The problem was that the big deans sucked! I mean, they did not want to swim... But there was some very good bait mixed in, the medium 5 inchers...
Then breakfast, an awesome breakfast burrito.
We became dry from maybe 10am-1:00pm... Apparently, the day before on their overnight trip, same thing happened to them... They had maybe 10 fish first thing in the morning off a couple stops, then a dry run, then right around 1:00, like a light switch, turned the fishing on, and they decked a bunch in that hour. For lunch, Billy made us some homemade burgers, and I say homemade because the meat was actually meat!! Not the prepacked frozen patty stacks.. This was actually an uneven patty! Alright! lol

So, The fishing did turn on a bit right around 1:30... We found a kelp with dorado on it, I managed to get one of those too.

Then, we found a spot of jumpers, and we got into a nice little bite for 5 10 minutes, where a good bait was all you needed... On that spot, I hooked the first fish, and it was game on... After about a minute, it pops off, I bring my line in to find a perfectly chewed off end... Dam tuna! And it definitely felt like a nicer one than earlier in the day, this one took 2 or 3 runs in that 1 minute... It was very frustrating as i realized that I had 5 outfits, but no 2 were the same, so I couldnt just grab an identical one to quickly swing a bait out... That was the most frustrating 2 minutes ever!!! But whatever, we learn from our mistakes... Now I know. I think we put 25 or so fish on the boat on that one stop.

From then on until evening, we trolled and trolled, were heading up north, maybe 15 miles behind the coronados, really close to home. We found a stringer of 3 huge kelps with birds on
'em for nothing, and after leaving those, captain marked some fish and we tried to drift with it.... They ended up being the nicer size tuna, the 30 pound stuff... We hooked 2, one on a old outfit with old line, busted off right after hooking up, and another one on a trinidad 12 w/20lb line on an inshore rod... He got his ass kicked, but landed a nice jackpot yellowfin for the trip. After that was said and done, it was almost dark, we hit this huge kelp hoping to get lucky, but it was dry... So it was time to clean up and have some dinner, a nice homemade lasagna, man that hit the spot!

Anyways, we got back to the landing, I believe we had about 120 yellowfin/yellowtail, about half n half, and maybe 10 dorado... All in all, although we had our setbacks, it was a great trip. Sure, some boats had limits, but others did worse than us.. Most of the time, its this boat that has the best numbers, just a bit of an off day i guess.

A special thanks to Mike Billy Tad and Patt, for being a great crew! Hopefully See ya'll soon!
Cheers,
-Aren

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
Wow quite a 1st night but glad you found some biters ! Great report Aren
always fun time on the big bird. Hard to believe we have almost 3 months
of this season left still. LOL Billy's homemade lasagne is totally killer!!! LOL

Upvote 0

peteking

Everybody take a look at the bad guy-T. Montana
Apr 21, 2013
Arcadia/CA/USA
Name
Pete King
Boat
Ohana
Great report soup to nuts including the hamburger!

Glad you had a good time and thanks for the report.

Upvote 0

Discgolfer

Jul 17, 2014
Name
Damon
Boat
Vacant
I think we need to look at this trip at a different angle here. We started out off the docks and then hit the dock and then had to get checked out by the SD Police and then the Coast Guard. This then put us out to leave around 1:30am ish. So we are already 5 hours behind schedule. So after chasing fish and and dealing with guys not really knowing how to fish with more than 3 buddies on a personal boat all day, we really never hit those schools that all other boats were hitting. So as the day is ending, my buddy then wrestles with a 28lb yellowfin. He is using 25 lb test and slowly pulling it in. As he is circling the boat, we have knuckleheads throwing their line out right where he is. So of course their line is crossing the fish. Now understand that when he is fighting this fish, no other fish where being caught and its dark skies. After getting the jackpot in the boat, we all come together to meet with the Captain. This is where he then tells us that the Captain at the time of the accident needs to take a drug test before 2:30am. We start to motor in.

The Boat knew what they had going and didn't give any fishermen the chance of leaving or staying because of the "new" fishing grounds we will be on now Thursday/Friday morning. The decent thing to do was give the anglers an opportunity to bail if they felt like this trip wasn't gonna be what they paid for. Many people on the boat felt the same way...Railroaded! They should have dropped off the Captain that ran us in the dock and leave him at bay. That way we could have been a little farther south.

This trip was a bust. The plan was to get my son on the tuna but this never happened. Should have kept my $700 and just got out on the water with my buddies 18ft "Das Boot" boat. Would have saved me a shit load of money and sanity. Will think twice about the Condor....

Upvote 0

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
I think we need to look at this trip at a different angle here. We started out off the docks and then hit the dock and then had to get checked out by the SD Police and then the Coast Guard. This then put us out to leave around 1:30am ish. So we are already 5 hours behind schedule. So after chasing fish and and dealing with guys not really knowing how to fish with more than 3 buddies on a personal boat all day, we really never hit those schools that all other boats were hitting. So as the day is ending, my buddy then wrestles with a 28lb yellowfin. He is using 25 lb test and slowly pulling it in. As he is circling the boat, we have knuckleheads throwing their line out right where he is. So of course their line is crossing the fish. Now understand that when he is fighting this fish, no other fish where being caught and its dark skies. After getting the jackpot in the boat, we all come together to meet with the Captain. This is where he then tells us that the Captain at the time of the accident needs to take a drug test before 2:30am. We start to motor in.

The Boat knew what they had going and didn't give any fishermen the chance of leaving or staying because of the "new" fishing grounds we will be on now Thursday/Friday morning. The decent thing to do was give the anglers an opportunity to bail if they felt like this trip wasn't gonna be what they paid for. Many people on the boat felt the same way...Railroaded! They should have dropped off the Captain that ran us in the dock and leave him at bay. That way we could have been a little farther south.

This trip was a bust. The plan was to get my son on the tuna but this never happened. Should have kept my $700 and just got out on the water with my buddies 18ft "Das Boot" boat. Would have saved me a shit load of money and sanity. Will think twice about the Condor....
Ya, I see your point, but I personally don't think it effected anything at all that we did. The fish were biting 40-50 miles south on their overnight the day before... They came in around 6:15 6:30 from their overnight, so if they stopped fishing around 1:30-2:00, that sounds about right, maybe 4 5 hours to get back... So, from my point of view, if we had left the dock at 8pm, we were going to load up bait and slowly motor down to 40 miles(thats where the fish were at the day before). Or, we were going to go down their at normal speed, get their at 2 or 3 am and drift until the sun started coming up.. Either way, on these tuna trips, sunlight is essential to find the fish. So lets take the 2 scenarios, leave exactly at 8pm, head out to the grounds, drift until the sun comes up, around 5:30 6... OR, stay in the harbor dealing with legal bullshit until 1:00am, then head out and get to the grounds right at 5:00... From a fishing perspective, its the same exact thing.. We were on the grounds about 40 miles at daylight in both cases.

When you have 37 people onboard, your always going to have knuckleheads... You can't really do anything about that. Sorry your son didn't get his tuna... But don't forget, this boat has the most consistent numbers.. .I check both 976 and sportfishingreport all the time for dock totals, and condor is very very consistent. It just sucks that we couldnt find that one wide open school like some of the other boats... But hey, it happens! Its fishin, not catchin.
Good fishin with ya, sorry you had a bad trip.
-Aren

Reactions: Cribbg
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
Aren is right. We left at 8pm monday night on Condor, got a big load of dines,
and so early still Mike slow motored us to behind Nados North Island, so all could
get to sleep on calm water. He fired up about 1am, and shut down at 4am about
40+ miles out=early. Everything is so close, no big deal. HEY COMBAT FISHING
WHINING? I'm 68 going on 22 and hooked at least 30 tuna to get 12 or so on
the deck Tuesday!! I got more fish sawed off, unbuttoned at color than I caught!
I been tuna fishing since 1960 and the wide open insane over/under always a rush!
It's high season, it's combat fishing, make the best of it! You've got veterans to
newbies, tourists, kids, 1st timers, GO FISH OR STAY HOME!! My take! LOL
Condor and crew is one of the top boats in the fleet! Every day can't be a
bowl of cherries for everyone...enjoy every day you can on the ocean!
I have for over 50 years...and will again! TC Tunahead

PS Mike the 2nd Captain on Condor knows the bay and the ocean like the back
of his hand! Where and why this wierd floating dock was and got hit is still
a mystery! I have and will put my trust in Mike in the past and the future
to get us where were going safely, and on time! Damon's rant is TOTAL BS! LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
We did the same thing - I was night driver on a 6 pack 1.5 day. We left around midnight since there was NO HURRY to go the 40 miles to our destination.

Reactions: arenpilav41
Upvote 0

rbfishn

May 15, 2012
Rialto,Ca
Name
Reggie
Boat

Wawawawa real fisherman will take a zero with a smile. With 120 mixed fish Ya should of had at least 1

Upvote 0

muledeer07

Almost A Member
Jun 30, 2008
USA
Name
Wade
Boat
None
I've trusted Mike many a nights with my safety driving that boat and god willing I'll be trusting him a lot more times. Next time Monday night.

Reactions: Nautical
Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Aren is right. We left at 8pm monday night on Condor, got a big load of dines,
and so early still Mike slow motored us to behind Nados North Island, so all could
get to sleep on calm water. He fired up about 1am, and shut down at 4am about
40+ miles out=early. Everything is so close, no big deal. HEY COMBAT FISHING
WHINING? I'm 68 going on 22 and hooked at least 30 tuna to get 12 or so on
the deck Tuesday!! I got more fish sawed off, unbuttoned at color than I caught!
I been tuna fishing since 1960 and the wide open insane over/under always a rush!
It's high season, it's combat fishing, make the best of it! You've got veterans to
newbies, tourists, kids, 1st timers, GO FISH OR STAY HOME!! My take! LOL
Condor and crew is one of the top boats in the fleet! Every day can't be a
bowl of cherries for everyone...enjoy every day you can on the ocean!
I have for over 50 years...and will again! TC Tunahead

PS Mike the 2nd Captain on Condor knows the bay and the ocean like the back
of his hand! Where and why this wierd floating dock was and got hit is still
a mystery! I have and will put my trust in Mike in the past and the future
to get us where were going safely, and on time! Damon's rant is TOTAL BS! LOL
I agree with Ron. When you choose to fish an open party boat, try and make the best of it. Yes, there will be the occasional disrespectful person, or newbie, or someone who you don't like the smell of. Such is life! They are on the freeway, at the ball park, in your church, and possibly your own sibling. No two people are the same. Pick and choose your vessel wisely, and enjoy your day because it could be your last. I've been on many boats, including the Condor, where I was the unlucky one on a good day. This is "fishing". Deal with it!

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

ivfishing

Almost A Member
May 7, 2012
imperial county
Name
rick
Boat
Boom Boom
I have my first overnight trip coming in September on The Condor and I cant wait. I'm counting the days. How many rigs should I take? I have a penn squall 15 with 20lb on it and a trini gold 30 with 30lb mono.. sorry for the thread jack but I figure you just off of the boat and would you know best... thanks

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
Ron see you Labor day trip. It has been awhile, Do you know if Norm will be back in action??

YES he plans on coming, and hopefully will be good to go with son Mark and daughter
Leanne! Lot of the usual suspects on this next trainwreck too!
SEE YA then JJ! LOL

Upvote 0

radray

Oct 24, 2008
Granada Hills/CA/USA
Name
Raymond
Boat
17 Ft Bass Tracker Pro Tournament V17
I was on that trip and I must concur with Discogolf's assessment of the trip. It was my first time on the Condor and my experience left an unfavorable impression with me. First of all 37 people on that trip, I think was too much. The crew could not maintain order with all those people. They could not get the people to follow their lines, get people to move from the stern so other people can fish at the stern and get the wall of bodies (same people) away from the bait tank. Secondly, the delay due to the mishap was horrendous.

The crew was helpful for the most part and they do work hard to look for fish, but they should pay more attention to the non-regulars. They need to maintain order on the boat so everyone can have a good experience on the boat. Everybody paid the same for the trip. Everyone should get a shot at fishing on the stern which was the most productive area of the boat. My friends and I basically were relegated to fishing the bow with our megabaits making do with that chaotic situation.

The boat is nice and the crew are very knowledgeable. They just need to maintain order so everyone can have a pleasant fishing experience. It may be just one of those days, but it did happen as discogolf stated.

Reactions: Knock'nEmDead
Upvote 0

MDC

Sep 9, 2008
San Marcos/CA/USA
Name
Mark
Boat
none
I just got off a boat with 16 people on and the difference was like night and day. So enjoyable. I like the Condor and it's crew but damn. 37 people is for the birds (no pun intended).

Upvote 0

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
I was on that trip and I must concur with Discogolf's assessment of the trip. It was my first time on the Condor and my experience left an unfavorable impression with me. First of all 37 people on that trip, I think was too much. The crew could not maintain order with all those people. They could not get the people to follow their lines, get people to move from the stern so other people can fish at the stern and get the wall of bodies (same people) away from the bait tank. Secondly, the delay due to the mishap was horrendous.

The crew was helpful for the most part and they do work hard to look for fish, but they should pay more attention to the non-regulars. They need to maintain order on the boat so everyone can have a good experience on the boat. Everybody paid the same for the trip. Everyone should get a shot at fishing on the stern which was the most productive area of the boat. My friends and I basically were relegated to fishing the bow with our megabaits making do with that chaotic situation.

The boat is nice and the crew are very knowledgeable. They just need to maintain order so everyone can have a pleasant fishing experience. It may be just one of those days, but it did happen as discogolf stated.

Im quoting your post for the part where you say "the delay due to the mishap was horrendous." Just out of curiosity, were you at the landing when they came in from their overnight charter before we headed out? They were out there on an overnight, fishing about 40 miles, where they ran into a wide open school of yellowfin with 20 rent rodders that didn't even know how to put their reels in gear, around 1:00 pm. Scott and Mike hooked and handed about 50 fish on that one stop, and that was at 40 miles... They said they stopped fishing around 1:30 2 because the group wanted to go home, and they were at the docks around 6:30, meaning that they traveled for about 4 hours or so... I dont know if you can do the math or not, but at 10 knots, thats about 40 miles, which is the same area we fished on our trip. Us leaving at 1am did not effect anything we would have done! The fish were 30-50 miles from san diego, so if we had left exactly at 8, we would have gone to the area and drifted until the sun came up. Same deal, we were going to fish the same area, so what part of that is horrendous? If anything, its even better, because we did not have to spent the majority of the night in open water, we were tucked quietly in the harbor.

As for you and your megabait buddies fishing the bow, at any point did you even come up to the bait tank? Im the big guy that stood by the bait tank all day waiting for stops, and that is why my success rate was higher than most... What, did you want the crew to tell me to get out of the way so everyone else can get bait before me? Its a big ass boat, and with 37 people, you have to get a little physical to have an edge.. I dont know if you realized, but I was by the bait tank with my bait rod in my elbow and my hook in my hand waiting for the troller to go off so I can get my bait in the water immediately... You and everybody else could have done the same thing. Its not easy doing that all day. And as far as maintaining order, what did you want them to do? Please, explain... If you want order, go to a court room, not a combat tuna fishing boat with 36 other guys. They can only say/do so much, its up to the newbies to actually listen...

And again, that incident at night did not matter, is was not relevant to the fishing we were doing... The fish were not 80+ miles from the harbor. If they were, then it would definitely be a big problem, and im sure they wouldve made it up somehow.
-Aren

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.