Offshore Condor 8/21/22 Overnight

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat Name
none
Why would the captain/part owner of the Shogun risk his Ticket by taking narcotics while on the boat?
Correct me if I'm wrong about the "captain/part owner".
For the record, that incident involved the back up captain and several crew members. The owner/operator Rene is top notch, and currently running things as usual.

Reactions: Cubeye and Tunahead
Upvote 0

zoner

Almost A Member
Apr 17, 2018
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat Name
none
I have been on charters when there were options(fishing the bft or fishing the dorado) where the skipper would list the options and let the charter members vote or decide which to fish......but have NEVER seen that done on a open-party trip. It's the skipper's call period

Reactions: jer dog
Upvote 0

mandoman68

Big Loco
Mar 3, 2008
Aztlan
Name
Mandoman
Boat Name
Kathleen
I know there is a standing BD commandment "Thall shou not speak ill of a boat", but I'm going to go there, so get your popcorn. 🍿🍿

I've been on enough trips to know fishing is fishing, not catching. I set up this trip for my brother and 2 of his friends from San Jose. They drove down because the Dorado have been insane with almost every overnight boat hitting limits. They all had the appropriate gear for an overnight dodo and yt hunting trip. After we all got settled on the boat, the skipper told us that he changed the plan and we we're going to go after BFT, so now we would need heavy gear. This threw the majority of the boat into a tailspin. Most of us had heavies sitting at home because the BFT were not producing on the overnights. A lot of us ended up ponying up $ for a rental so we wouldn't miss out on any action. I've been on boats where the Capt at least asks the boat what they want to target if everything is biting, but that wasn't the case here. Dorado were on FIRE, BFT were lockjawed. This was the big NO-GO for just about everyone, but we had to go with it. A couple of guys asked the landing to put them on the Mustang and were told NO.

The other main issue with this trip is that the Capt put out over the loudspeaker that the Condor was a "clean" boat and that any illegal substances weren't tolerated. I appreciated that he put that out and it was good to hear. Then 15 minutes later as I was sitting outside the bridge, I get hit with a huge cloud of pot smoke coming from the helm. WTF? It wouldn't be acceptable for a Capt to be pounding beers behind the wheel with 40+ people on board and it's same thing for pot. This was a huge violation of trust for people on your boat.

Positives: The cook Mike and deckhand John we're outstanding. I'm sure they would have rather destroyed dodos and got maxed out tips, but that was out of their control too.

I won't be booking on the Condor again. Maybe they don't care if the 37 anglers on the boat felt like they got one pulled over on them, but at the very least, I'm not going to accept this and people should know what they are signing up for.
Pot is no longer illegal and we don't know who was smoking so that is a non issue...I prefer the smell of a good indica .... Bluefin will pop up out of no where and I always have a heavy outfit with me just in case...I appreciate the reports as long as they are truthful and respectful. After all , is a forum....GO BRUINS!

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat Name
One that floats
Pot is no longer illegal and we don't know who was smoking so that is a non issue...I prefer the smell of a good indica .... Bluefin will pop up out of no where and I always have a heavy outfit with me just in case...I appreciate the reports as long as they are truthful and respectful. After all , is a forum....GO BRUINS!
it still is on A Sport Boat ,Federal Law .

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    You guys are cracking me up. Too funny! :D

I always bring everything from 15 to 100 pound set ups on these type of trips. You never know what the heck is going to pop up!

Upvote 0

Dbado1

• Jul 17, 2020
    Arizona
    Name
    Robert D Bado
    Boat Name
    Toyota tundra
    I have been on charters when there were options(fishing the bft or fishing the dorado) where the skipper would list the options and let the charter members vote or decide which to fish......but have NEVER seen that done on a open-party trip. It's the skipper's call period
    Yep. That is usually the case. On a trip earlier this month, during the galley talk, the Capt. said, "we are going SW to get in on the hot kelp paddy bite" and everyone cheered...it made sense as it was limit style fishing SW. On another trip last September the Capt. says, " we are going North for BF" and he was met with moans and groans from most everyone. This was during a hot bite SW. It made no sense! The boat skunked (no surprise there) while the rest of the fleet killed em SW. So, it makes me wonder when the Captain's announcement is met with moans and groans and complaints, why don't they then ask what everyone has in mind? Or, at least give a good reason why like new Intel, etc.. I'm sure that this is one of the areas of the Captain's job that sucks. I get it. But sometimes their decision making makes no sense at all.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat Name
    17' Gregor
    You guys are cracking me up. Too funny! :D

I always bring everything from 15 to 100 pound set ups on these type of trips. You never know what the heck is going to pop up!
    And then the Captain, under his breath, complains that you bring too much tackle.

But when you bring too little tackle, and they run into the big ones, they complain that you brought the wrong gear.

Upvote 0

BellyBuster

Almost A Member
    Oct 7, 2004
    CA
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat Name
    KeyWest 1720
    Quick question - How do they do the bunks situation? Is it first come first serve and everyone rushes? Or do they have assigned bunk numbers during check in?

Upvote 0

chilidip

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    17' Logic CC
    Quick question - How do they do the bunks situation? Is it first come first serve and everyone rushes? Or do they have assigned bunk numbers during check in?

There is a line that forms and a woman (Linda?) that checks you in on the manifest where you pick your bunks. So first come first served.

On my trip, there was a guy that came later and lined up right in front of the line but was asked to get back in the line like everyone else.

• Haha
    Reactions: ChoeMan and Dbado1
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    You can PICK your bunk when you book, even months in advance. ALL bunks pre booked at the desk or on the phone. No panic runs to to the boat at FL. LOL. Condor has some double size bunks aft and a few forward FYI. Lot to chose from.
    When the next years schedule for Condor was posted in December, I'd book the 2.5 -3 days
    in May, July and Labor Day and pick my fav bunk then. FYI. When you check in, pay balance if any, they give you a ticket with your bunk ## on the back.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    There is a line that forms and a woman (Linda?) that checks you in on the manifest where you pick your bunks. So first come first served.

On my trip, there was a guy that came later and lined up right in front of the line but was asked to get back in the line like everyone else.
    Must be a different boat and landing?. Was that on a charter trip???
    Condor and most if not all boats at FL are pre booked bunks. In advance when booked, or check in time at desk. Ask for Mgr Carl if any questions.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Dbado1

• Jul 17, 2020
    Arizona
    Name
    Robert D Bado
    Boat Name
    Toyota tundra
    Condor and most if not all boats at FL are pre booked bunks. In advance when booked, or check in time at desk. Ask for Mgr Carl if any questions.
    The last two trips that I took out of FL (not on the Condor) was first come first served. One of those was just a couple of weeks ago.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

chilidip

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    17' Logic CC

It was a charter, but I assumed that it was the same?

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    It was a charter, but I assumed that it was the same?
    Ahh ya, thought maybe so. Usually up to the Charter Master to handle that I guess.
    Regular trips can pick bunk when booking in advance on phone OR when you check in.
    One of the reasons I started fishing at FL and Condor many years ago. Hate the line BS.

Reactions: chilidip
    Upvote 0