meangreen75

Sign Cutter
Sep 15, 2007
Murrieta
Name
DJ
Boat Name
USS PORT ROYAL CG73
I know there is a standing BD commandment "Thall shou not speak ill of a boat", but I'm going to go there, so get your popcorn. 🍿🍿

I've been on enough trips to know fishing is fishing, not catching. I set up this trip for my brother and 2 of his friends from San Jose. They drove down because the Dorado have been insane with almost every overnight boat hitting limits. They all had the appropriate gear for an overnight dodo and yt hunting trip. After we all got settled on the boat, the skipper told us that he changed the plan and we we're going to go after BFT, so now we would need heavy gear. This threw the majority of the boat into a tailspin. Most of us had heavies sitting at home because the BFT were not producing on the overnights. A lot of us ended up ponying up $ for a rental so we wouldn't miss out on any action. I've been on boats where the Capt at least asks the boat what they want to target if everything is biting, but that wasn't the case here. Dorado were on FIRE, BFT were lockjawed. This was the big NO-GO for just about everyone, but we had to go with it. A couple of guys asked the landing to put them on the Mustang and were told NO.

The other main issue with this trip is that the Capt put out over the loudspeaker that the Condor was a "clean" boat and that any illegal substances weren't tolerated. I appreciated that he put that out and it was good to hear. Then 15 minutes later as I was sitting outside the bridge, I get hit with a huge cloud of pot smoke coming from the helm. WTF? It wouldn't be acceptable for a Capt to be pounding beers behind the wheel with 40+ people on board and it's same thing for pot. This was a huge violation of trust for people on your boat.

Positives: The cook Mike and deckhand John we're outstanding. I'm sure they would have rather destroyed dodos and got maxed out tips, but that was out of their control too.

I won't be booking on the Condor again. Maybe they don't care if the 37 anglers on the boat felt like they got one pulled over on them, but at the very least, I'm not going to accept this and people should know what they are signing up for.

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Sounds like BS on the Pot Smoke from the Wheelhouse. Like Capt pounding beers?
    Your accusations sound FISHY to me. LOL . Been fishing Condor some 20years
    and don't remember having a bad trip. Not sure what you were smelling and from whom?
    I will admit changing from catching Dorado, Yellowfin, and Yellowtail SW for hit and miss Bluefin could be un-nerving for many with light gear. Condor been putting some nice bluefin on the boat so the Capt. likely heard they were biting again that day. Any caught?
    Other fish??? Bottom line, it's FISHING. Nuff said. Better luck next time.

Last edited:

ChoeMan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 28, 2007
    OC
    Name
    ChoeMan
    Boat Name
    Never
    Popcorn GIF by WWE

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Dbado1

• Jul 17, 2020
    Arizona
    Name
    Robert D Bado
    Boat Name
    Toyota tundra
    Yeah, I don't get the whole bft infatuation.... especially when there is a hot bite going on with other species. Exact same thing happened to us last year on another boat. Makes no sense.
    You're gonna get flamed, mostly by key board anglers that haven't fished for years, because you called out one of their favorite boats.

Upvote 0

meangreen75

Sign Cutter
    Sep 15, 2007
    Murrieta
    Name
    DJ
    Boat Name
    USS PORT ROYAL CG73
    and don't remember having a bad trip. Not sure what you were smelling and from whom?
    I will admit changing from catching Dorado, Yellowfin, and Yellowtail SW for hit and miss Bluefin could be un-nerving for many with light gear. Condor been putting some nice bluefin on the boat so the Capt. likely heard they were biting again that day. Any caught?

You're probably right, we all know that something like that would never happen here:

It sounds like you are questioning my judgement or what I know I saw. I can assure you that I'm not naïve, and I know exactly what I saw along with 5 other people on the top deck.

If I were more like you and fished the same boat for 20 years, I'd probably be a little more willing to excuse normally unacceptable behavior, but I'm not. I just wanted my bro and his friends to have a fun trip. Unfortunately we didn't have a say in anything that happened after we walked onto the Condor.

Condor fish count for 37 anglers:

10 Bluefin Tuna, 3 California Yellowtail, 20 Dolphinfish, 1 Yellowfin Tuna

I didn't want to make it about what we caught or didn't catch, but I should at least make a report. We motored about 5 miles north of the north island until 2:30 am for the 10 BFT. We then made are way south, short of the Dodo/YT zone, fished about 4 paddies and headed back to the BFT zone north of the islands at 10:30 am. We spent about 7 hours looking at foamers, getting close and launching everything imaginable at them for a total of zero BFT during that late morning to late afternoon run. We pulled all trolling jigs at about 11:00 am so we could chase the foamers.

Upvote 0

bob_marlin

• Apr 23, 2022
    chula vista
    Name
    bob marlin
    Boat Name
    Mikelson 43’

yea...but none of those in the last decade

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    You're probably right, we all know that something like that would never happen here:

It sounds like you are questioning my judgement or what I know I saw. I can assure you that I'm not naïve, and I know exactly what I saw along with 5 other people on the top deck.

If I were more like you and fished the same boat for 20 years, I'd probably be a little more willing to excuse normally unacceptable behavior, but I'm not. I just wanted my bro and his friends to have a fun trip. Unfortunately we didn't have a say in anything that happened after we walked onto the Condor.

Condor fish count for 37 anglers:

10 Bluefin Tuna, 3 California Yellowtail, 20 Dolphinfish, 1 Yellowfin Tuna

I didn't want to make it about what we caught or didn't catch, but I should at least make a report. We motored about 5 miles north of the north island until 2:30 am for the 10 BFT. We then made are way south, short of the Dodo/YT zone, fished about 4 paddies and headed back to the BFT zone north of the islands at 10:30 am. We spent about 7 hours looking at foamers, getting close and launching everything bait imaginable at them for a total of zero BFT during that late morning to late afternoon run. We pulled all trolling jigs at about 11:00 am so we could chase the foamers.

NICE TRY...your Sept.2020 Shogun post has nothing to do with Condor accusations!!!

After the Army, as Road Mgr. for Canned Heat,Then The Eagles, Then Jackson Browne doing concerts and Massive Pop fests in N.America and Europe, I know what Pot Smoke smells like!! LOL Are you sure it wasn't the 2nd ticket (night driver) driving the boat out?

Just saying I've never smelled it on Condor. I accept your opinion, but don't buy it. LOL
    Why would a seasoned Capt. risk his USCG License to be smoking pot onboard?
    Some boats in the fleet wouldn't surprise me, the least of all on Condor. Nuff said.
    Better luck fishing next time.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    sunk it
    OP comes on here with what he saw or smelled and all the replies are that he’s full of crap, like it’s totally not possible. He was there just maybe it happened? Why would he make that up?
    I’m old enough to remember doing biker lines off the the tables In The galley of that very boat, weed smoke billowing out of the bunk room thru the galley out the windows. Different times for sure.
    I just don’t get why a negative post on just about any boat always ends the same, guys full of shit.

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat Name
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Sweet I am leaving on the Condor on 9/7, looks like I will be bringing gear for everything which is what I planned JIK things got switched up. Thanks for the heads up about the boat I will report when I get back. Been a long time since I fished with them. Oh I fished today 8/24 because the dorado bite was WFO yesterday, it was anything but WFO today, a lot of show and no go so I guess they have learned from the BFT.

Regardless of catching it was nice to get out since my boat has been in the yard for 3 weeks and looks to be about 3 more weeks for parts for a complete rebuild after the repower of my boat fell through because I can't get engines for another 12 months. Oh the joys of boat ownership. Tell you what though when I saw all the boats full of 40 to 50 people today I was happy to be on a friends private boat. I will have mine back in due time.

Tight lines everyone.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Sweet I am leaving on the Condor on 9/7, looks like I will be bringing gear for everything which is what I planned JIK things got switched up. Thanks for the heads up about the boat I will report when I get back. Been a long time since I fished with them. Oh I fished today 8/24 because the dorado bite was WFO yesterday, it was anything but WFO today, a lot of show and no go so I guess they have learned from the BFT.

Regardless of catching it was nice to get out since my boat has been in the yard for 3 weeks and looks to be about 3 more weeks for parts for a complete rebuild after the repower of my boat fell through because I can't get engines for another 12 months. Oh the joys of boat ownership. Tell you what though when I saw all the boats full of 40 to 50 people today I was happy to be on a friends private boat. I will have mine back in due time.

Tight lines everyone.
    Back to fishing....go gettum!

Reactions: NoLDR
    Upvote 0

Hawgboy

Almost A Member
    May 7, 2022
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    Any
    Back to fishing....go gettum!
    Maybe he got skunked,get it 😂🤨 5 miles from north island is not isolated from the patties and the abundance of Dorado and yellowtail in surrounding area The BFT in that area is 25-60lb fish so that’s not a stretch on gear you should have. Not like they busted a move to an outer bank for jumbos. I have not fished the Condor since early 80’s for large Albacore out of Santa Barbara, roomy boat and I think it smelled the same back then😂😂

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat Name
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    I was on the condor a couple of months back chasing stupid blue fin, I highly doubt the captain was smoking but don’t doubt for a minute the deck hands were, two of the three on my trip were smoking which I’m cool with as they bust their ass But just like you on our trip we went right past the fleet that we’re all hooked up drove for two more hours for meager results. I’ve been talked into going on four different party boats already this year, the money I spent could’ve n should’ve we nt toreards a radar for my sled, fuck the fleet!

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat Name
    17' Gregor
    After the Army, as Road Mgr. for Canned Heat,Then The Eagles, Then Jackson Browne doing concerts and Massive Pop fests in N.America and Europe, I know what Pot Smoke smells like!! LOL Are you sure it wasn't the 2nd ticket (night driver) driving the boat out?
    It doesn't matter who was smoking the Pot. Zero Tolerance applies to everyone on board. I was on one boat when someone in the bow was smoking Pot while we were traveling at night. The whole boat could smell it. The Captain went on the speaker and told the guy to cut that shit out. It stopped.

Reactions: djek81 and Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat Name
    17' Gregor
    Just saying I've never smelled it on Condor. I accept your opinion, but don't buy it. LOL
    Why would a seasoned Capt. risk his USCG License to be smoking pot onboard?
    Some boats in the fleet wouldn't surprise me, the least of all on Condor. Nuff said.
    Better luck fishing next time.
    Why would the captain/part owner of the Shogun risk his Ticket by taking narcotics while on the boat?
    Correct me if I'm wrong about the "captain/part owner".

Reactions: Dbado1
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Why would the captain/part owner of the Shogun risk his Ticket by taking narcotics while on the boat?
    Correct me if I'm wrong about the "captain/part owner".
    No idea, that was back in 2020. Beats me. Had nothing to do with Condor report was my point. LOL

Upvote 0

chilidip

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat Name
    17' Logic CC
    Sorry for your bad experience. I just got off the Condor last month and it was nothing but positive experiences on that trip. Maybe the captain got sick of chasing dodos and wanted to target the bigger BFTs that are starting to bite again. 1/2 day boats are getting into dodos right now so maybe he wanted to chase the exotics?

Also, I don’t smoke pot, but isn’t that legal now?

Upvote 0