PENN

John_Doe

Aug 17, 2015
Central Coast
Name
PJ
Boat
Hinano Tahiti
Went out on the Condor as per my buddy's persistence. Great boat, great crew. A little bit of attitude with some of them (joking, don't rip me apart for that!). We killed it. The boys on the boat worked long & hard and were EXTREMELY helpful. Hey when you're good you can have attitude right????

I was hooked on Bluefin in 2015 as I had an epic trip & have been trying to catch more since then. I have definitely paid my dues, many trips with blanks, many trips with just a few on the boat, expensive trips for me that resulted in no fish or just a few yellows.

Left at night, motored from Point Loma to backside of Catalina. We were a little worried as there were great numbers before, then bad numbers, then day before near limits. Reports were they were eating the flatfall. I am not the best live bait fishermen, I do fine, but I ain't a pro like some of the guys soooo I was totally stoked that there was opportunity for Bluefin on the jigs. I fished the flatfall the entire time & caught 4, my friend caught 4 also, all 30 to 35 pounds. We couldn't have been any happier. The weather was absolutely beautiful with this tropical air hanging around. Backside of Catalina was crazy pretty with the sun setting on it.

Bluefin weren't boiling, I guess they were puddling. You could see the disturbance in the water, little wavelets with no white-water. Some of these puddles were 100-150 yards wide & 30 yards across. We would see them in large arcs. The ocean calmed down in the afternoon & many of the boats had to head back. There were just a few of us & it seemed like the bite got better. You could see some of these arcs moving around. The Captain, don't know his name, was tripping on the volume of fish. He kept saying, "the amount of tuna around us is mindboggling" or something similar to that. Seemed like he was genuinely impressed.

I have no idea why more people weren't fishing jigs in the bow. I was completely alone on the bow at times for 15-30-40 minutes. Several times I was fighting my fish with only the awesome decky Scott by my side. He was great, very helpful when I started getting tunnel vision. My first rod was a Calstar 30-60# 8', great rod with a Penn Squall 15. The guys were yelling, "wind, wind, wind" on my fish. After my third one, I'm cranking away gaining nothing. I hear a SNAP. Look down & the handle broke in half on my Squall. I guess I was winding hard enough!!!! The captain looked at me & said, "never seen that". That left me with me 7' Ugly Stick with a Jigmaster & 40# mono - my last resort rod. It's funny as I often catch my best fish on the thing after my other rods go offline. It was actually awesome fighting these fish on all-mono. Seemed like it was easier with all the stretch.

Of course Greg, the cook but ohh so much more than a cook, hooked 10+. He said he hooked 13 the day before. It's pretty awesome watching someone like that. The dude is easily the best fishermen on the boat. Don't know exactly how many people he handed fish to but it was many including a 14 year old girl. Great guy for sure.

Since 2015 I was looking to equal my epic trip on the Diawa Pacific in which I had a jackpot with a pair of 40# bluefin. I got a few individuals last year, lost a 50# on the San Diego and another almost spooled me which could have been bigger. This trip not only equaled it, it easily surpassed it. The feeling of having those fish strip line in a slow-steady pull is something that needs to be experienced to understand it.

Thank you Scott, Jason, Greg & Kurtis (who stood on the bait tank for around 12-14 hours without saying largely anything except for what was neccessary). Thanks guys, you know your stuff for sure.

IMG_4951.JPG

IMG_4987.JPG

Upvote 0

Kris K

Founder, Waypoint Industries Fishing Apparel
Apr 13, 2016
Pleasant hill
Name
Kristopher Kent
Boat
Filet Show II, Aquasport Explorer 225
Great report. Thanks. I'm curious how you fish the flatfall. Spent a little time using one but never hooked up on it.

Upvote 0

John_Doe

Aug 17, 2015
Central Coast
Name
PJ
Boat
Hinano Tahiti
You're welcome. Really simple. I just cast the FF out off the bow. Let it sink to whatever depth cappy calls out & retreive. I had all my bites on the sink so I don't think the retrieve matters. I was using 40# mono the entire time, IMHO no flouro needed.

Reactions: Peg North
Upvote 0

John_Doe

Aug 17, 2015
Central Coast
Name
PJ
Boat
Hinano Tahiti
I had the second fish on the boat, and one of the last ones. They bit it all day starting at about 9 am. I had a 100 sardine but my friend was hooking up right next to me on the 160 yellow & white so I just think it was placement. Decky's said they were hitting all size flatfalls up to 200.

Upvote 0

Kris K

Founder, Waypoint Industries Fishing Apparel
Apr 13, 2016
Pleasant hill
Name
Kristopher Kent
Boat
Filet Show II, Aquasport Explorer 225
You're welcome. Really simple. I just cast the FF out off the bow. Let it sink to whatever depth cappy calls out & retreive. I had all my bites on the sink so I don't think the retrieve matters. I was using 40# mono the entire time, IMHO no flouro needed.

Thanks.... sounds pretty idiot proof.....which is perfect for me

Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond
Went out on the Condor as per my buddy's persistence. Great boat, great crew. A little bit of attitude with some of them (joking, don't rip me apart for that!). We killed it. The boys on the boat worked long & hard and were EXTREMELY helpful. Hey when you're good you can have attitude right????

I was hooked on Bluefin in 2015 as I had an epic trip & have been trying to catch more since then. I have definitely paid my dues, many trips with blanks, many trips with just a few on the boat, expensive trips for me that resulted in no fish or just a few yellows.

Left at night, motored from Point Loma to backside of Catalina. We were a little worried as there were great numbers before, then bad numbers, then day before near limits. Reports were they were eating the flatfall. I am not the best live bait fishermen, I do fine, but I ain't a pro like some of the guys soooo I was totally stoked that there was opportunity for Bluefin on the jigs. I fished the flatfall the entire time & caught 4, my friend caught 4 also, all 30 to 35 pounds. We couldn't have been any happier. The weather was absolutely beautiful with this tropical air hanging around. Backside of Catalina was crazy pretty with the sun setting on it.

Bluefin weren't boiling, I guess they were puddling. You could see the disturbance in the water, little wavelets with no white-water. Some of these puddles were 100-150 yards wide & 30 yards across. We would see them in large arcs. The ocean calmed down in the afternoon & many of the boats had to head back. There were just a few of us & it seemed like the bite got better. You could see some of these arcs moving around. The Captain, don't know his name, was tripping on the volume of fish. He kept saying, "the amount of tuna around us is mindboggling" or something similar to that. Seemed like he was genuinely impressed.

I have no idea why more people weren't fishing jigs in the bow. I was completely alone on the bow at times for 15-30-40 minutes. Several times I was fighting my fish with only the awesome decky Scott by my side. He was great, very helpful when I started getting tunnel vision. My first rod was a Calstar 30-60# 8', great rod with a Penn Squall 15. The guys were yelling, "wind, wind, wind" on my fish. After my third one, I'm cranking away gaining nothing. I hear a SNAP. Look down & the handle broke in half on my Squall. I guess I was winding hard enough!!!! The captain looked at me & said, "never seen that". That left me with me 7' Ugly Stick with a Jigmaster & 40# mono - my last resort rod. It's funny as I often catch my best fish on the thing after my other rods go offline. It was actually awesome fighting these fish on all-mono. Seemed like it was easier with all the stretch.

Of course Greg, the cook but ohh so much more than a cook, hooked 10+. He said he hooked 13 the day before. It's pretty awesome watching someone like that. The dude is easily the best fishermen on the boat. Don't know exactly how many people he handed fish to but it was many including a 14 year old girl. Great guy for sure.

Since 2015 I was looking to equal my epic trip on the Diawa Pacific in which I had a jackpot with a pair of 40# bluefin. I got a few individuals last year, lost a 50# on the San Diego and another almost spooled me which could have been bigger. This trip not only equaled it, it easily surpassed it. The feeling of having those fish strip line in a slow-steady pull is something that needs to be experienced to understand it.

Thank you Scott, Jason, Greg & Kurtis (who stood on the bait tank for around 12-14 hours without saying largely anything except for what was neccessary). Thanks guys, you know your stuff for sure.

View attachment 1187125

View attachment 1187126
Thanks! Which FF did you use?

Reactions: Dogman619
Upvote 0

Latest posts