CONDOR 3- Day Piles Them Up

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by surfgoose, Oct 8, 2018.

1. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    This morning Oct. 8 the CONDOR returned to Fisherman's Landing from a three-day run searching for the offshore kelps, and it was a great trip for the 23 of us on the limited-load adventure. We stopped tuna fishing Sunday mid-afternoon because we had full boat limits (345) of the yellowfin tuna, and along with that we also kept 140 yellowtail and 23 dorado. The boat didn't include in the report the catch&release yellowtail (and there were a bunch) or the skipjack, easily over a hundred released to go along with the half-dozen that I kept (I like to smoke them) and probably another 50 or so skippies kept by others.

This was the first time in this past decade of offshore trips that I've been on a boat that stopped fishing because we were at limits. It was an interesting feeling to rack the rod and have the boat pull away from a kelp that had fish flashing past the stern and still blowing up on the scattered chum.

We loaded last Friday morning and rolled at 11am. We each got a wrist band because the plan was to go hit the Coronado Islands that first afternoon, but after only a hour out of port we curved further south because apparently a radio call from another boat told Captain Jimmy Merrill that the tuna were biting good just a couple of hours further south. And in a short time we were trolling, and getting stopped about every half-hour. Usually it was skipjack that took the trolling lures, but sometimes yellowfin, and chumming brought mixed schools up to the boat and we would tag a dozen or so and then start rolling again towards the south.

The pattern continued for the next two days. We ended up a little over a hundred and ten miles south, and then slowly made our way back north-west, hunting for kelps and looking for signs of fish. Some kelps were empty, some had a handful of fish, and some were holding schools of hungry fish of various kinds.

What worked: Twenty to twenty-five pound gear and smallish hooks. Our bait was about 50/50 small sardines and big sardines. I was using a #4 Owner Mutu circle hook almost always, until the last afternoon when the bait was strictly big sardines, then I changed to a 2/0 Mutu. But I was really trying to see if I could catch them on lures, so that is what I spent most of my time trying to do. There were some very hot sticks on the boat that were concentrating on fly-lining bait, and they were stacking up the fish big time. I got bit on thin metal lures and flat-fall lures and different things that I tried, but it was not nearly as effective as going to a bait. I had the experience of catching two fish that I snagged on a single-hook lure, I have no idea how that happened.

There were a lot of tangles, and a lot of fish were lost as a result. I had two heartbreaks, one was my best yellowfin fight and the other a really nice dorado, the biggest that I've connected with in twenty years, lost when it went Kamikazi at the end of the fight only ten feet out of gaff range and ran parallel to the boat and wrapped up a dozen lines, mostly braid, and my mono didn't have a chance. I lost several more, but they were early in the fight and I hadn't seen them, so it didn't hurt as much.

Capt. Jimmy ran a good trip. Scott Caslin kept everything running as always, and tried to gaff fish in the eye, which is nice but really hard to do. He kept making it happen. Curtis and Luke had magic hands, were able to save a lot of fish from macrame tangles. And Greg Seil kept us in good food all weekend. Whenever you have a chance to go on one of the limited-load trips on the CONDOR, it will be a fun trip.

2018-10-05 16.39.42.jpg 2018-10-05 16.41.18.jpg 2018-10-05 18.20.04.jpg 2018-10-05 18.22.57.jpg 2018-10-07 07.37.39.jpg 2018-10-07 07.59.58.jpg 2018-10-07 08.18.46.jpg 2018-10-07 11.13.40.jpg 2018-10-07 14.16.17.jpg 2018-10-07 14.47.56.jpg

2. DennisV

DennisV Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat:
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    Good stuff Goose. Going out with those guys Wed. night for a 1.5 day.

By the way, the ladder claimed another victim the last time I was on it about 4 weeks ago. Poor guy hamburgers his leg and most likely tore his rotator cuff. Benched for the trip. I keep telling everyone the Goose story but few listen.

surfgoose and aquacoat like this.
  3. Wandering Blues

Wandering Blues I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    Thanks for an exclllent write up, particularly on the terminal tackle. I’m heading out next week and can’t wait.

surfgoose likes this.
  4. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Had some great albacore trips on that boat when it was in Santa Barbara. That metal spiral staircase has claimed several victims. The last several years when it was up here it was straight whale watching, what a waste of machinery! Thanks for the write up

surfgoose likes this.
  5. finfan

finfan Member

Name:
    STEVEN
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin FB
    i was fishing down there on my boat on Sunday called you guys in on a kelp around noon as we left did you guys get them there ? just curious, it was wide open for us

surfgoose likes this.
  6. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Steven -- I don't know what the radio was saying. Thanks for the tip! I know that the American Angler called us onto a kelp that they were leaving about 2pm on Sunday. I really like that the majority of the boats are being helpful towards one another, much more than in past seasons.

7. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    captainace: I tried to upload the picture of you with the tiny baby yellowtail that you caught and released, and I couldn't get the picture to attach to the email. I'm too tired to think it through, I'll try again tomorrow.

8. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Were all the Tails on the small side? Seems like this time of year the babies invade the kelp paddies? Glad you had a good trip.

surfgoose likes this.
  9. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Yeah, Cory, the yellowtail almost all were fairly small. The five that I kept were all bonito-sized, three to four pounds. They were eager, Luis had one eat a sardine that was maybe an inch shorter than it was! The vast majority were released. I saw one that was maybe ten pounds, maybe. But you never knew, in the middle of the typical six to ten pound yellowfin would be a bigger model pushing twenty pounds, I lost one that was likely twenty right at the boat by putting too much pressure on a tiny #4 hook. And the bull dorado that I lost in the tangle at the end of the fight was over fifteen for sure, probably twenty, and I haven't had a shot at one that big ever on a trip fishing within a hundred miles of San Diego.

10. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never