red_eyez

Broke but love to fish..
Aug 5, 2008
OC
Name
kevin
Boat
The one I paid at Landing
Woooooow!! I haven’t read such a great report for quite a while, my heart was pumping hard and I think I’ll need pain killer too. Big big congrats to you and the folks on this trip. Condor is badass!

Upvote 0

Professor

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Yale
Boat
32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
Great read and congratulations on the fish. These things are in much better shape than we are. They workout every day. Me not so much. At 60 years I was in for the whole fight. At 82 I need my team to land these beasts. Not sure why I do it but I'm back out in a couple of weeks. These are fish of a lifetime.

Your tenacity in staying in the game with the proper gear is missed by many.

Again congratulations

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I really appreciate all of the kind comments from everyone! Watching almost everyone else on the trip fight multiple fish while I seemed to be snakebit all weekend, and then to have that cow kick my butt without remorse made for a rough trip overall. But a freezer full of bluefin steaks and all of these kind thoughts from everyone makes it all better!

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great read and congratulations on the fish. These things are in much better shape than we are. They workout every day. Me not so much. At 60 years I was in for the whole fight. At 82 I need my team to land these beasts. Not sure why I do it but I'm back out in a couple of weeks. These are fish of a lifetime.

Your tenacity in staying in the game with the proper gear is missed by many.

Again congratulations
    WELL GOOD LUCK ON YOUR TRIP...US OLD GUYS ROOTIN FOR YA OUT THERE. LOL

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    DonnieD -- Yes he was way overmatched, but the CONDOR crewmen stayed with him and helped him and he actually got it gaffed in the end! A nice bluefin but not triple digits.

I fish a spinner on tuna too, but not when they are running THAT big. The issue is usually not the reel but the rod. And he was also handicapped by fishing it left-handed, rod in left hand and reel handle in right hand. He and the crew were calling for volunteers to help if anyone wanted to. I was busy with my fish so I don't know how they did it, but it came aboard some minutes after mine.

Upvote 0

DonnieD

Shit...where's the beer
  • May 27, 2015
    SD
    Name
    Donnie D
    Boat
    FINBOMB
    DonnieD -- Yes he was way overmatched, but the CONDOR crewmen stayed with him and helped him and he actually got it gaffed in the end! A nice bluefin but not triple digits.

I fish a spinner on tuna too, but not when they are running THAT big. The issue is usually not the reel but the rod. And he was also handicapped by fishing it left-handed, rod in left hand and reel handle in right hand. He and the crew were calling for volunteers to help if anyone wanted to. I was busy with my fish so I don't know how they did it, but it came aboard some minutes after mine.
    I'm also a spinner guy...got a few triple digis on spinners...avatar included. One completely blew my elbow apart! Have a great weekend!!

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several

IT BOGGLES THE MIND GUYS BRING SPINNING RIGS TO A
    BIG BLUFIN FIGHT, WHEN ALL SD LANDINGS HAVE 100-200LB CONVENTIONAL RENTAL RIGS AVAILABLE. OH WELL.

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several

YIKES COFFEE GRINDER WINDING BASS AKWARDS? WORSE. LOL

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    There are a bunch of excellent spinning reels out in the past decade. I've taken several strong tuna on my Shimano Spheros 20000, 400 yards of 80# braid and almost 40# of drag. What a gas throwing poppers and skip jigs for tuna from 30 to 50#, which is after all the vast majority of the tuna that we encounter. But on a party boat with a couple of dozen other fishermen I leave it racked when the biggies are around. And the rod is critical.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    There are a bunch of excellent spinning reels out in the past decade. I've taken several strong tuna on my Shimano Spheros 20000, 400 yards of 80# braid and almost 40# of drag. What a gas throwing poppers and skip jigs for tuna from 30 to 50#, which is after all the vast majority of the tuna that we encounter. But on a party boat with a couple of dozen other fishermen I leave it racked when the biggies are around. And the rod is critical.
    GOOD MOVE, The bluefin are bad ass enough on regular reels/rods. LOL

Upvote 0

DonnieD

Shit...where's the beer
  • May 27, 2015
    SD
    Name
    Donnie D
    Boat
    FINBOMB
    IT BOGGLES THE MIND GUYS BRING SPINNING RIGS TO A
    BIG BLUFIN FIGHT, WHEN ALL SD LANDINGS HAVE 100-200LB CONVENTIONAL RENTAL RIGS AVAILABLE. OH WELL.
    Because it's fun...and sporting and....you should see the size of my arms yo...

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Well Condor gang and Goose, GO GETTUM this Summer. It's right Meta Carpel thumb joint surgery for me July 9th and 6 weeks in a cast. geez. Gotta get my winding hand fixed 1st before fishing. All I can do.
    Hope Yellowfin/Dorado show soon too.
    Wishing you all a great summer of fishing on the Big Bird. TC

Upvote 0