bob12201

Almost A Member
May 20, 2015
Laguna Beach
Name
Matt M.
Boat
I Wish
Don't really know why im writing a report... 1 13lb yft for 50 anglers.

Started 20 miles from the point, saw some life and a couple schools that didn't want to play (this is where the fleet was). We had one hookup on the flat fall that came unbuttoned immediately. Took a road trip driving away from the fleet Northeast up to about 14 miles off Carlsbad & Encinitas. Worked our way back down to 15 off the point, didn't see anything from 11:00 till 3. One stop at 4:00 produced our only fish. A lot of people say good things about the Condor, but this is my third trip on that boat and probably my last. Don't know what it is but that boat seems to be having a problem getting on the fish this year in general.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unforgiven1

It's All About The Tuna
Advertiser
Apr 7, 2004
Redondo Beach, California
Name
Drew
Boat
UnforgiveN- Blackfin 29' FB Volvo Kamd 300's
It's probably you Bob

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Thanks for the report. It's tough to have a bad day on ANY boat, and a tough day with four dozen other frustrated people is twice as hard. Saturday was strange, looking at the various reports some people found some fish that wanted to play but many had a long boat ride.

It's interesting how some people seem to have consistent experiences with particular boats, either good or bad. There are a couple of boats in the fleet that I won't go on again, although lots of people are diehard fans of those boats and captains. After enough decades on the water I know that it isn't that the boat is bad, it is just that I don't have the right vibe or karma or whatever for that platform, and fate is nudging me in another direction. It's kind of like with a lure -- if a fish comes unbuttoned on a lure during a fight, I check that lure carefully and try again. If another fish also throws the hook on that lure, then I don't mess with that lure any more, it gets given away. And the next guy will quite likely have no trouble with that lure, but I figure the Big Fisherman is trying to tell me something and I'd rather listen too closely than ignore the message.

Upvote 0

skipjackrobert

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 2, 2013
    The OC
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
    Sorry for the bad trip...was on a 2 day, 2 weeks ago and day 1 was the sane, sucked, but day 2 we had multiple 70lb fish. Condor is a good boat....captain and crew...rolled the dice and well, shit!

Upvote 0

skipjackrobert

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 2, 2013
    The OC
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
    Should have fished the corner...30 miles out but who knows on any given day! In oc the 150 is easy to get to, esp from HB or Newport...

Upvote 0

rhamilton210

Adventurous sort
    Mar 20, 2006
    Poway
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    18 Glastron, BBLU
    Don't agree with blaming the boat for no fish. Skipper gets the reports like everyone else and uses his best judgment. Fishing in not a sure thing EVER and with all the boat traffic and the cooler water moving in, hit and miss. Last week it was WFO on Tuesday and Wednesday, Thursday not so much. Fish are dumber than we are, barely. :) Try another boat and see what happens.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
    Jun 1, 2006
    Lakeside
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    sold! / cattle boat
    That's too bad but longer trips gives you better chances of finding & boating fish.
    The Condor doesn't do 3/4 days very often & if that was your only window of opportunity you would have had a chance of getting a few fishing with Booger on The San Diego with 60 of your closest friends. Brian Bostian "Booger" has been ON IT for the 3/4 schedule & you will have plenty of opportunities in that 3/4 timeframe if tuna & 3/4 day is what you can do!
    Not saying anything bad about the Big Bird, just maybe its time to try something different to redeem yourself & get back to enjoying the sport & the rush of slaying....

Upvote 0

bob12201

Almost A Member
    May 20, 2015
    Laguna Beach
    Name
    Matt M.
    Boat
    I Wish
    That's too bad but longer trips gives you better chances of finding & boating fish.
    The Condor doesn't do 3/4 days very often & if that was your only window of opportunity you would have had a chance of getting a few fishing with Booger on The San Diego with 60 of your closest friends. Brian Bostian "Booger" has been ON IT for the 3/4 schedule & you will have plenty of opportunities in that 3/4 timeframe if tuna & 3/4 day is what you can do!
    Not saying anything bad about the Big Bird, just maybe its time to try something different to redeem yourself & get back to enjoying the sport & the rush of slaying....

Obviously that was my first choice. But this was the only trip south of point conception with ANY spots on it, so regardless a day on the water is better than sitting at home. I know they don't do 3/4 days, but right now there's no difference between a 3/4 and an overnight.

Upvote 0

bob12201

Almost A Member
    May 20, 2015
    Laguna Beach
    Name
    Matt M.
    Boat
    I Wish
    Don't agree with blaming the boat for no fish. Skipper gets the reports like everyone else and uses his best judgment. Fishing in not a sure thing EVER and with all the boat traffic and the cooler water moving in, hit and miss. Last week it was WFO on Tuesday and Wednesday, Thursday not so much. Fish are dumber than we are, barely. :) Try another boat and see what happens.

Yea it is hit or miss and I'm never one to complain about a tough day of fishing as I've had many this year, but when 99% of the fleet gets fish and you don't it really makes you second guess certain things.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    It happens to the best of us(fisherman).
    Im still in a depression over last weekend.Not quite a skunk trip...if you want to call 1 yt not getting skunked.

Its fishing man,last weekend really gave me a reality check.

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
    Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Bummer....well some days you get the bear....some days the bear gets YOU.! LOL
    THEN....
    Last May on Condor, I caught 15 Bluefin to 60lbs , and yellowfin to 25 on our memorial day trip. So sore was my going going gone left shoulder I didn't even fish the 2nd day. Toast. Had almost 200lbs of filets from Day 1. COOL! Man what a surprise load for May!

NOW....
    After shoulder replacement surgery (titanium) April 16th, I didn't even know if I could ever fish tuna again! By July 23rd I felt ready to give it a try. Went on Condor, and got ONE Fat Yellowfin on the troll. ONE of 16. I did catch and release a few rat yellows, and we saw thousands of tuna that would not bite. That's fishing.
    After 2 surgeries in 10 days, 6 weeks on a home IV pump,
    that damn ONE tuna..never tasted sooooo good! LOL

My advice is get back out again and smack some fish. These tuna will be around for awhile. I just can's say where. LOL
    I know I am....tomorrow!!!!

Last edited:
    Reactions: bparker1225
    Upvote 0

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
    Jul 1, 2005
    Tustin
    Name
    Kris
    Boat
    Mike's
    Looks like they took some creative liberty with their counts and passenger load.

I saw the Condor looking in the same area where we were on the Fortune yesterday for the 1.5 day. Maybe this was the count from the day before that got mixed up.

181483-1440387872-2db9fd561c0ee9211e1180c4449d3da2.jpg

Reactions: slydawg
    Upvote 0

bob12201

Almost A Member
    May 20, 2015
    Laguna Beach
    Name
    Matt M.
    Boat
    I Wish
    Looks like they took some creative liberty with their counts and passenger load.

I saw the Condor looking in the same area where we were on the Fortune yesterday for the 1.5 day. Maybe this was the count from the day before that got mixed up.

181483-1440387872-2db9fd561c0ee9211e1180c4449d3da2.jpg

That was the count for the saturday night overnight trip. They didn't bother to post the count for the 3/4.

Upvote 0

ctran

Mar 9, 2009
    Anaheim,ca usa
    Name
    chau
    Boat
    None
    Condor is usually a great boat. I usually do great on it, but I went on Sunday night and boat only had 5 fish total. Burnt a lot of fuel searching and finding fish everywhere but getting them to bite was a different story. Been on 3 trips this year and each trip came home with 0 fish. Thought the Condor was gonna be my turn around but its just not my year it seems like.

Upvote 0

Frenchy89

Feb 21, 2010
    Newport
    Name
    Daniel
    Boat
    33 Ft Bertram NO LIMITS
    I was in this 3/4 day too it was rough to say the least. The crew phoned it in. They were supposed to have the day off they were upset they made it clear they didn't want to be there. Fishermans landing set the trip up while they were out in their 1.5 day.

Tough driving past the fleet seeing them bent over because the captain over the PA says "I DONT WANT TO DEAL W THE BOAT TRAFFIC TODAY" deckhands just bullshitting w Anglers nobody on the Binos searching. 1 fish for 48 guys while every other boat in the fleet Gd a decent pick at them fishing the flotilla.

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
    Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    Should have fished the corner...30 miles out but who knows on any given day! In oc the 150 is easy to get to, esp from HB or Newport...
    Pretty sure the corner is out off the edge of the chart on a 3/4 day

Upvote 0

bob12201

Almost A Member
    May 20, 2015
    Laguna Beach
    Name
    Matt M.
    Boat
    I Wish
    I was in this 3/4 day too it was rough to say the least. The crew phoned it in. They were supposed to have the day off they were upset they made it clear they didn't want to be there. Fishermans landing set the trip up while they were out in their 1.5 day.

Tough driving past the fleet seeing them bent over because the captain over the PA says "I DONT WANT TO DEAL W THE BOAT TRAFFIC TODAY" deckhands just bullshitting w Anglers nobody on the Binos searching. 1 fish for 48 guys while every other boat in the fleet Gd a decent pick at them fishing the flotilla.

Yea :(.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
    Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Condor update...on a 1.5, I caught ONE yellowfin July 24th, looking at 1000's jumping dancing down the road. LOL
    Tuesday I caught 16, kept my limit of 10, 1 in the upper 30's. THAT's FISHING. We got 208 Yellowfin, 4 Dorado on Condor and outfished the whole fleet that day, even some 2-3 day trips. There are no guarantees fishing, and tuna can move 50 miles or more overnight from where they were yesterday. People whine about not getting any fish,
    yet sound like doing a 3/4 day now is a gimme? Hell when you're leaving at 6:30am, then loading bait, then going
    how many miles to get to where tuna "might" be found.....those of us on 1.5 day had already been fishing for
    hours starting in the grey bite. We started dropping iron and bait 4-6am tuesday! Start the troll at 6am.
    Again, I'm not negating or defending anyone's previous thread....just making the point, if you REALLY want a
    better SHOT at catching tuna, do a 1.5 day at least and fish when tuna feed most=early am, late PM! Just sayin.!!

BETTER LUCK TO ALL FISHING THE REST OF THE SEASON! CONDOR ROCKS....ALWAYS HAS!

Reactions: ctran
    Upvote 0