CONDOR 2016 LABOR DAY BF trip

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by marcusmillo, Sep 5, 2016.

1. marcusmillo

marcusmillo Israel Supporter

Name:
    Marcus
    Boat:
    NA
    I was very excited about this three-day Labor day trip. I saw some pictures of the Blue fin on 976 and BD. I was tracking the boats thru the following http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-118.4/centery:32.7/zoom:12 . As a last minute preparation I drove to HB CharkBait to get some CB Slashers and added some more Flat falls.

I drove from Chino Hills around 4 AM and got into the fisherman landing parking around 5.45. Condor was unloading. So it was easy to find a parking spot. Then I walked to next landing to see the catch of AA. They had a pretty good count and size. Sprits were going up. Talked to an angler about line size and learnt it was 50 and 60 lb test. At this time I want to kill time. I was looking for familiar faces. Finally, I learnt that a group of 18 to 20 people had made reservations for this trip as a group. As per Alex the group leader . Dennis the regular from Salinas showed up . Then Peter from memorial day trip showed up. I saw a lot of rental rods also.

Day 1:

We left the dock around 11.15 AM on 09/01 as planned. Scott as the Captain, Vince as second. Rob, Tadd and Scotty on the deck and Buddy as cook.

We met three other Boats, Islander, Searcher and Sea Adventure 80 near the receiver. All four boats destination was Desperation reef . We had a small , Captains undivided meeting. Captain talked about the Plan. Plan was to go the parking lot and find a good spot , as we did. On the way out we found a school of YFT . Dennis got a 15lb YFT. Boat was stopped two times near 43 . Scott metered fish around 250 ft. Everybody unloaded their jigs for nothing. At this time , there is still two more hr drive. So we ended in the parking lot near the long range boats. No more fishing time left on day one. Plan was to get up early and drop the jigs again.

Day 2:

I woke up late around 5.30 Am to see people making Squid for Bait. Scott and Tadd used the big nets to scoop a few. After Squid disappeared, some dropped their jigs , and some used sardine (rubber band style) for nothing. At this time RP and AA left for looking . Few minutes later Scott pulled the anchor.

He stopped on few marks for nothing. Then he was on the way back to the old spot for the noon bite. The previous day bite was around noon. He stopped on one more spot and we got the first hook up. Then the second and third. The first hook up was 40lb test and the fish was gaffed after 15-30 minutes’ fight. The other hooked fish were on 50 and 60 . Both of them never gained any line and finally it pulled the hook.

We came back to the original spot and anchored. It was flat calm. It was around 150 + boats . Now it is around 11 ish. Boat had only one fish. I was desperate to get a bite as everybody. So I tried my TranX with 40 lb Test. I got bit on a long soak near the Stern, before I cleared the corner ( I mean all the loose lines ) it was too late, most of my line is gone , I still ran to the bow to see the last two wraps and then spooled. Had the fish for about two minutes. 0/1 . Next the Australian from the group (excuse me forgot his name but very good at what he was doing. ended with 4 for 5 for the trip)

[​IMG]

hooked a fish on 60lb. Now we have the second fish on the deck. At this time, I decided to use my 50 lb. I had Tac 12 on a 700H with fresh line XXX 50 lb/ 50 ln Seaguar Blue label Fluro loaded from Fisherman’s landing . I got bit again. Tadd was saying here you go again. 30 seconds later mono broke. So 0/2 . Then there were a few people got bit and landed their fish and lost a few aslo . it was all 60 lb to 88 lb very good fish. We had around 6 fish at this time . Dennis got bit and lost his fish within seconds . Peter also lost his fish. The crew worked hard to clear tangles and they also coached. Rob asked me to try Squid. So I did, immediately I got bit but pulled the hook 0/3. No worries. I was bit on the next cast on a JX Raptor 50 lb XXX 50 lb / 50 ln Seaguar Blue label Fluro , but the rod was Black Hole Challenger 8 feet rod (Acid wrapped). Scotty worked with for the next 30-45 minutes (helped me , coached me ) . During the fight I even thought, do I need to fish? , It was painful , the fish was mean , never had this experience before . Hi, we landed the fish around 60 lbs . my PB. I for 4.

[​IMG]

Dennis also landed his first fish . End of the day we had around 30 fish. Australian had three fish , Brain from the group had two . It was a good day. Jacki the lady angler had a fish too.

[​IMG]

Day 3:

I woke to feel the boat was rocking . Wind against current . Tough conditions. Lot of tangles. The hot ticket Australian got bit on a long soak. I mean 400 feet or so. I decided to do a long soak on a 60 lb XXX HXJ Raptor / CalStar 765 M ( oops heavy rod) . I got bit and it was ROB helping me this time. During my fight I saw Dennis also hooked up . Tadd slept/stretched on the Anchor to save both our fishes. Dennis and I landed our fish. My fish was around 70 lb . so I erased my PB in one day. Dennis hooked up again and that fish was the Jackpot fish. Took almost an hour for him to land on the new reel which he purchased from fisherman’s landing AVET LX . It was 93lbs . There was a minimum of 15 people had their PB on day 3. Most of the fish was brought in with 60lb test. In the afternoon I got another fish on the JX Raptor 73.5 lb . so in the same trip my PB went up .

<<<< Forgot to write , We celebrated VAL's 57th Birthday. What a nice man!.>>>>

For the trip I was 3 for 6 , Aussie was 4/5 , Dennis was 4/6 , Peter was 3/5 . We ended with 54 nice BF. Food, snacks was awesome.

With the help of the crew I had a wonderful trip . PRAISE THE LORD.

Now it is your turn , go get yours .

NORM,RON we really missed you , including SCOTT.

Here are a few pics.

2.GIF P1020577.JPG 1.png 2.png 3.png 4.GIF 5.GIF

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    Surfer Ed, Nautical, Hardcor and 18 others like this.
  2. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    Sounds like a fun trip! Glad some fish made it over the rail ! Congrats on the pb! Thanks for the pics and report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tunahead likes this.
  3. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    GREAT REPORT and PICS Marcus, and glad you all had a great trip. NICE FISH!!
    Congrats of your new PB. Sorry I missed this one this year with this cataract problem,
    and see you all soon hopefully! LOL Norm and Hammer going Wednesday night.
    I get another shot in the eyeball next Monday...yippeee! LOL

Pgnracr and Old Blue like this.
  4. acechanley

acechanley Newbie

Name:
    JEFF CHANEY
    Boat:
    KAYAK,HOBIE OUTBACK
    Marcus great fishing with you!
    Excellent trip and great crew.
    IMG_2296.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tunahead likes this.
  5. copper7

copper7 Waterman

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Paddle board
    Great post, thanks for report, I've been wanting to try the Condor so now it's for sure.

Tunahead and marcusmillo like this.
  6. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    They're strong, aren't they Marcus? Lol I told you guys, 50 and 60 pound was a must!
    Nice trip, Congrats!
    -Aren

Tunahead likes this.
  7. soulwinner

soulwinner jeremiah 9:23,24

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    cobra
    excellent report congrats on beating your pb. wish I was out there pulling on those bluefin, condors one of my favorite sporties.

way to keep at it never give up keep re- tying your line make constant observation of who is hooking & landing their fish & what their using line & hook size etc. adapting & learning on the fly is what makes good fisherman better.

Havent been spooled yet but ive been close usually just clamp down & break it off before I lose all my line. nice grade of fish 2 of those will fill your freezer no problem.

Tunahead likes this.
  8. recurveman

recurveman Newbie

Name:
    Chad
    Boat:
    Friends boats are cheaper
    Thanks for the great report. Tons of great info to help us prepare for the next trip.

Tunahead likes this.
  9. wfdavies

wfdavies Newbie

Name:
    wm
    Boat:
    fisheyed
    nice write up- great information.

Tunahead likes this.
  10. Wasitrytofish

Wasitrytofish Member

Name:
    Glen Mitchell
    Boat:
    between boats...
    you should remove the tracking part from your subject. sorry. just saying.

great awesome report otherwise.

11. Tunahead

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    blueman.jpg

12. Tunahead

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    GREAT REPORT MARCUS.....LIKE IT JUST THE WAY YOU TOLD IT! LOL

13. Cobia224

Cobia224 Newbie

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    Parker
    Did you say more than 150 boats there?

14. daniel-neill

daniel-neill Me

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    23' IMP WA "Hook - Up!"
    Fun 3 day!

Cribbg and Tunahead like this.
  15. Cribbg

Cribbg Cribbg

Name:
    Norm
    Boat:
    -
    Great report n great photos Marcus. Glad to see n hear you caught ur PB. I missed you all as well. I waited too long to book n missed out on our annual trip. Neat to hear tuna were chewing heavier line this time. I heard those reports on squid. Guys were saying fish were just jugged with them. Like the crab was not too long ago. See you soon. :-) Norm

Tunahead and marcusmillo like this.
  16. marcusmillo

Name:
    Marcus
    Boat:
    NA
    Aren,

I was thinking of you . How you pulled the monster? These are mean fish.

Cribbg and arenpilav41 like this.
  17. marcusmillo

Name:
    Marcus
    Boat:
    NA
    Thanks Ron.

18. marcusmillo

Name:
    Marcus
    Boat:
    NA
    More than 150 boats within the 3 mile on Saturday, around 8 Am i counted 150 + and i can see more. i gave up. Sunday it was less.

19. Tar Pit

Tar Pit Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat:
    None.
    Thanks for the report. I leave on the RP tomorrow for a 3-day trip. What hooks worked best for you guys?

20. Randy V

Randy V Slamma Jamma

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    30' Kona Star