Cribbg

Cribbg
Jun 23, 2009
San Diego,CA.USA
Name
Norm
Boat
-
Just when you think things are winding down. BAM!
We by-passed the bait rec'rs, AS, the bait tanks were already full of seasoned "race horse" sardines.
We went So. instead of W. to Cortez for Bfin. Heard weather was still a Lil up outside there, AND only a few Bfin were caught the previous couple days. We all wanted to go West But! -------Great call by Scott to go So.. I'd say we were in that same 55-60 miles area as previous week.

We were on our 1st good kelp bout 10am, n left bout 11:40am. NONSTOP! A real ripper with almost limits of dorado n a nice slug on the Yfin. We picked at others thru out the day for very few. Then went on the hunt for other small strings that were empty.

Then about 3-4pm BAM! Another kelp paddy just insanely loaded with Dorado, n then the Yfin tuna came right up underneath it all. It was almost totally brown in the stern off n on. I got my 50#, buttoned drag down, with bout 5' of line, n hung bent over the stern, n dangled my bait,..as the dorado n Yfin competed for my bait. Krazy. I leaned back and jack-poled bout 3 tuna. That 5-7 lb stuff.
Any of you younger guys could have flipped bout 50 over the side in a matter of minutes, if you were there. It was that insane. Scott said, DO NOT CAST~~~~Just drop it over the stern. The reason is, we were already tapped out on dorado, and, the Yfin were straight down. The competition between the dorado n tuna for a bait was really krazy. Something you'd see on the Discovery Ch. haha. I haven't seen that volume of fish so concentrated for years. Must have been hungry after that 3 days of rough weather thru Tues.

We had beautiful weather with a lite breeze. It was the perfect scenario. About 5 of us were lucky to land one of the bigger 25-30 lb models. All in all~epic.

First time I've seen us just quit, n shutdown before dark. We were stuffed with limits on both species, and all were tired n spent by 6pm. NO Wahoo strikes this trip. We tried n cried throwing every jig in the box for those. hahaha.

Sorry I didn't have anymore photos. Just know, the dorado were those big slabs all of us have been catchin' the last few weeks. I'd say up to 20-22 lbs. The Yfin, in that 5-7 lb range, with those 4/5, 25+ lbs. We had 21 pass.

Excellent Fall fishing! A BIG thank you to Scott, Mike, Tadd, Matt, Mike n Laura, who cooked this trip,....for another great fishing trip. Good to see Ugy, John, Mike, Phil n many others again.

I hope we get enough fishermen to go this Weds-29th,......for one more chance B4 its all over for the year. See you then. HOOKUP!

10-23-14 3 Yfin.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Im jealous Norm. That was a super hot bite, we don't get to see that very often. What I want to know what the heck are you doing with
the 2400 pounds of fish you have caught this season??? :)

Congrats on an epic trip. Scott always seem to pull the rabbit "uh" no I mean tuna out of the hat when required and am especially happy that you are able to get out on the Big Bird again.

Walt

Reactions: Cribbg and Tunahead
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
Awesome report and good yackin' with ya when you got in today!
Glad you guys had another ripper trip. NICE grade of fish!

NOW let's GO get our butts kicked one more time in the big bird!!!
See you on the boat Wednesday Night! Can't wait!!! LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Cribbg
Upvote 0

marcusmillo

Israel Supporter
Dec 30, 2011
Chino Hills/CA/USA
Name
Marcus
Boat
NA
Norm,

Good report again. As always You are a real fisherman.

I love those days when Scott is on the bait tank , and tell, You are Bit , Wind , Wind , Follow your line .

Marcus

Upvote 0

Cribbg

Cribbg
Jun 23, 2009
San Diego,CA.USA
Name
Norm
Boat
-
Well lets see, the donut guy, where I get my coffee in the am, guy at the gas station, the gals where I get a massage now and again after a tough trip, people in my groups, and my neighbors. They all get fish. Many can't go for various reasons, medical issues, work etc..they call me their alter-ego self, and wish they could go...haha.

What I want to know what the heck are you doing with

Congrats on an epic trip. Scott always seem to pull the rabbit "uh" no I mean tuna out of the hat when required and am especially happy that you are able to get out on the Big Bird again.

Walt[/quote]

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
Im jealous Norm. That was a super hot bite, we don't get to see that very often. What I want to know what the heck are you doing with

Walt

YOU should come with us Wednesday night Walt, slay a freezer full of fish! Be #3. LOL

Upvote 0

Cribbg

Cribbg
Jun 23, 2009
San Diego,CA.USA
Name
Norm
Boat
-
I see n hear Mike is runnin' the boat per 976 now, n it was non-stop on both species this AM. Glad to know he got the chance to run the whole show. Sounds like the Condor has not skipped a beat, on those big dorado n Yfin tuna. I'm still stoked from all the caught fish this past thurs. Its not lettn up, looks like. Only 2 of us signed for Weds. I sure don't want it to end yet. Hookup!

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
I see n hear Mike is runnin' the boat per 976 now, n it was non-stop on both species this AM. Glad to know he got the chance to run the whole show. Sounds like the Condor has not skipped a beat, on those big dorado n Yfin tuna. I'm still stoked from all the caught fish this past thurs. Its not lettn up, looks like. Only 2 of us signed for Weds. I sure don't want it to end yet. Hookup!

Yep stoked for Mike, he sounded excited as only a wide open bit could be. What a season, no end!!
ME EITHER, WHO'S COMING WEDNESDAY NIGHT to fill their freezers with Tuna and Dorado? LOL

Reactions: Cribbg and fullfrzr
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
Those guys are legit, work hard, and do a nice job. I like that boat. Had similar success a month ago only it was YFT.

Amen Jimmy! Hope we get enough to go again Wednesday night! If not, WHAT A SEASON IT WAS! LOL
Norm said they caught some yellowfin to 30+ now in the mix too! Nicer grade!

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
OK we got 3 booked for Wednesday night now-fishing Thursday LL 1.5 day...going light!
Who wants to go slay some fat yellowfin, dorado maybe a HOO who knows? One more time! LOL
Lie to your boss, ditch work, pay the kids, lie to your wife, come with us. LOL LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
Would be cool to get out butt kicked one more time this week. Only 4 booked so far!
Wednesday night trip....hope we can go, beautiful summer like weather!
If not...WOW WHAT A SEASON ON CONDOR IT WAS! LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BigSwell

Jul 12, 2014
Morro Bay, Ca
Name
Steve
Boat
Big Swell / Ciera 2858
I was on this weekends trip and Mike killed it as captain! We had WFO dodos and yft throughout the day. We maxed out on dorado and searched for a stack of tuna that wasn't completely covered by pickles, but the day was winding down and most of us were pretty beat. Kick a$$ trip guys.

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
COOL...we got 8 booked now, only a few more and we are GO for one more train derailment. LOL LOL Mike had a good day on the Yellowfin and dorado again today!
Good job buddy!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
I was on this weekends trip and Mike killed it as captain! We had WFO dodos and yft throughout the day. We maxed out on dorado and searched for a stack of tuna that wasn't completely covered by pickles, but the day was winding down and most of us were pretty beat. Kick a$$ trip guys.

Mike did well yesterday too with 87 Yellowfin tuna and 34 Dorado with a light load!
HOPE we are DEFINATE GO Wednesday night...only 11 booked so far... LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
How bout we all go Friday instead! I'm jammed up at work dammit!!!

You're trip a definite GO Friday night now, as is ours Wednesday night now! LET"S ROCK THE BIG BIRD 1 more time!
**More trips into November now posted for Condor too on Fisherman's Landing Wedsite!

Upvote 0