Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat
    none.
    I was suppose to go on the 976 Tuna Relentless 2 day, but the fish hold was broken. Last min, I found room for a friend of mine and myself on the Condor.

I want to give props to the crew and the work ethic of all aboard the Condor. I have seen this boat many years, when it used to be out of Santa Barbara.

We ended up with Mexican boat limits of YT with some Dorado sprinkled in.

1st fish was on the Caivo 7x surface iron. Captain Trevor accidentally lost my jig with the YT, because it got wrapped around the gaff. He is such a stand up guy, he gave me a yoyo iron.

Catch and release. Good enough for me.

Overall, impressed with the jig. Casts further than a Salas 7X. Didnt get bit on the OCT. MISSED one in the Ufo 1.

My rest of my fish came on bait.

Lost one that wrecked me into the floating kelp.

1st and last fish landed were my two best.
    Ended up going
    5 for 7 counting released jig fish with jig, one chew off, and one bad yellow that got me into the kelp paddy. Switched to circle hook with less chew offs.
    No monsters for this trip, but I had a great time.

Food was delicious, crew awesome.
    They repaired toilet lines on the way out! Someone threw something they werent suppose to.

Here is the video below.
    Youtube trip Video

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report and info. My fav boat. Still in cast on the mend.
    Go get some Yellowfin next. Great boat and Crew!

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    When undoing a backlash pull the main line and see the loop holding it then pull that

Reactions: James Taylor
    Upvote 0

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat
    none.
    No Dorado I don't think Rabid. Didn't jumped and pulled like a nice Yellowtail.

Hi Davis, Mr Dctalk, I will say this:
    I am no longer a grasshopper. I'm old OG now. Fishing and teaching. Haha.
    Backlashes do happen once a while for me anyhow. I think I get excited, and don't put enough oomph with my left hand during the cast.
    Yeah I let em eat it, I have had it when I didn't let em have it long enough. It's always a fine line it seems.
    I did switch to circle hook on the last fish.

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: dctalk523
    Upvote 0

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat
    none.
    Was the chew off a dorado? They can definitely chew through lines. Yellows can't though. When the fish goes to the kelp, a good technique is to put a reverse bend in the rod, like point the rod down and get a good bend in it, pull hard

Thanks for the tip here. I will definately keep it in mind here. I was trying the slack and pull technique I use on Calicos. As I was getting free, I snapped it.

Upvote 0

dctalk523

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 28, 2007
    OC
    Name
    ChoeMan
    Boat
    Never
    No Dorado I don't think Rabid. Didn't jumped and pulled like a nice Yellowtail.

Hi Davis, Mr Dctalk, I will say this:
    I am no longer a grasshopper. I'm old OG now. Fishing and teaching. Haha.
    Backlashes do happen once a while for me anyhow. I think I get excited, and don't put enough oomph with my left hand during the cast.
    Yeah I let em eat it, I have had it when I didn't let em have it long enough. It's always a fine line it seems.
    I did switch to circle hook on the last fish.
    Just messing w/ my guy

Reactions: Kai
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    I had a Dorado JUMP and throw a Zuker Mex Flag/ with 7/0 hook back like a rocket thru my cheek. Went back and caught the vilan, but 28 stiches inside and out at Hoag ER later that night. Dorado are notorious for pulled hooks, jumps, backlashes. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!

• Wow
    Reactions: Kai