KnotyBuoyz

Not so newbie anymore
Jul 22, 2008
SD County
Name
Randall
Boat
27x10
I haven't fished a single sport boat out of SD this year simply because the OC/LA boats are cheaper AND fishing on private boats is much cheaper...[/QUOTE]

If your just a passenger on a private boat splitting the cost of the day, agree. If you factor in cost of ownership, simply not true. There are plenty of guys on here whos cost of ownership is in the thousands per month and that is not including cost to leave the dock.

Nice write up Larmo and thanks for the insight.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Thanks for the report! Lots of good points being made by everyone. I fish the Islander and the Condor by preference because they are both large, comfortable boats (bunks that are large, big galleys, inside heads instead of coffins up at the bow) with truly professional crews, and I really like that they will run even when the load turns out to be light, even though that doesn't make them any money. The Condor went out on a 1.5 with only eight people recently! That kind of commitment needs to be supported, and I do what I can. I'm on the Islander next week instead of spending a couple of hundred dollars in expenses to let doves make a fool out of me again.

The Condor ran trips very late last fall. I went on it at the end of October and 95% of the fleet was tied up collecting seagull crap. We caught more yellowfin on that trip than all of the other boats put together that day.

The main issue this year is the presence of good fishing opportunities near the main LA/OC population centers. It's great that boats from Oceanside to Santa Monica are having a good year! That also means that a lot of people are not needing to make the drive all the way down to San Diego. A friend of mine in the travel industry told me that the bookings are lighter for the Mexican resorts this year too, since you don't have to go that far to get into good fishing.

I expect that we will continue to have really exceptional fishing opportunities all through this fall. And whatever boat you ride, even if it is your pal's skiff, be thankful for this time because you will be telling your grandkids about it, and they won't believe you.

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
Not to thread jack, but . .

While "the economy" may be improving unde certain measurements, wages are flat. Workers need to make more to spend more.

But it may just be that the northern boats are more competitive this year in attracting angler dollars because of the warm water. And since more of the SoCal population is north, the SD fleet is gwtting hammered.

Wal Mart may be effecient and great for investors and wven some consumera, but it sucks ass for workers and communities. Many places were better off with higher prices but higher wages amd locally apent profits.

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
Hey glad Scott stuck to plan and pulled off the sundowner with minimal bait. Congrats=JP-to crew. Great report.
Hell I just got home from PT, but a week from today, I'll be on Condor hopefully winding again. LOL

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Observation on my Aug 14-16th weekend trip:
While we at the bait receiver on both days of my 2day Friday night & during rebait Saturday night I totally noticed that every boat at the receiver seemed to have an exceptionaly light load, atleast it appeared that way to me.

moezmoe

Dead Magic
Aug 23, 2004
San Diego
Name
Moe
Boat
The one im on
The trip was a great time and the night time bite was a blast. Scott and the boys want to catch fish just as much as us. And trust me, this season is driving um a little crazy. As far as the prices and all that goes. Every and i mean every trip has La people, always! Next you private boaters certainly are proud, agreed to be. How about when you have to run far again? Back to a party boat :) Just like flying, we have choices. Always, an awesome time on the Big Bird for me!

ycnibrc

Aug 18, 2010
Irvine CA
Name
Anthony
Boat
Hook Up
well the last 2 trips that I took are both on the week day and both full+1 I don't know about the condor but some other boats you have to be on the waiting list even weekday.

spize909

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
My buddy Roy was on this trip and that report sounded just like what he told me. He said they did a great job with the bait challenge.

As for riding boats, I have also been mostly priced out. I have done way more 3/4 and 5/5 type trips the last couple years. I actually caught more fish last year on a couple of 5-5's then I did on a 2 day and 2.5 (very early) combined.
I didn't fish at all out of the landings up here for many years. Last year I did 2 trips (Long Beach and Pedro) local and this year I've done 5 non-SD trips. With that said, I'll be on the Aztec in a couple weeks :D.......maybe something else sooner.

cattledog1

Apr 24, 2014
San Diego
Name
Chris
Boat
Sportfisher C Major 7th
There are many costs to running a business and keeping a large powerboat safe and properly maintained, and trying to make a profit? Sounds like a big challenge to me.

Taxes, insurance, and the upkeep on a large boat - it all adds up.

I agree with Larmo's suggestion to tip heavy if you can.

Remember it could be too expensive and fishing could be shitty as well. At least we have only one of these problems to worry about right now!

Chris

ranchero

fishing-pox..?I have fishing plauge
Apr 29, 2004
SD
Name
Al
Boat
25 skipjack -Albatross
got 2 youngsters I'm working on getting acquainted with fishing. Cheaper for me go own a boat than pay for us 3. Would love to be able to just once in a while. Did a great 3/4 last year for the 4 of us. That was a 700 day ouch...but worth the memories in the end. I'm still big fan of sporties going solo, but close bite this year a small skiff works

clintonstick

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
yep i have been priced out. and so have my kids............sucks
I feel you,$350 no permits,no food for 1.5 day.It should be kids half price with a paying adult.Then they might have to do whale watching trips and work 8 months a year ,instead of just gouging for 4 months.How about a cali resident discount,half price wednesday.I guess most captains get 5 month vacation how nice.The landings too,i wonder whats there cut.Like i said i doubt the owners are hurting or you would see some ideas,or maybe all the profits go to a few at the landings and its all price fixed,so captains cant make some discounts.

Last edited:

BowBoy

"SSSSHHHH its a secret"
Mar 28, 2006
Far away place
Name
Laslo
Boat
Tin can
Higher prices, less fuel burn (which is a HUGE part of op cost) equals more $$$ in the owners pocket. I think some.....not all, are gouging prices to save up for the winter.

Come on....I watched it as it unfolded....a particular overnight boat went from having a posted overnight trip limited to 24 people mid week at $205 (was looking at that trip for a birrthday trip for my son)...had no takers in a day....then it vanished for a couple hours from the site....Just so happened that the fishing went wide open later that day.....it's posted the same day leaving, limited to 22 people now.....for $295......price gouging much????

Reactions: hawkplayer32

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
HA I know I'm getting old now, when I can remember overnight Albacore trips for $100 and a 1.5 for $150.
Now I just go on fewer of them, and try to enjoy it more when I do. LOL

Reactions: Charlie Gordon

wii888lo

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 15, 2015
Name
ricky
Boat
ricky
fishing in general has become expensive ... 245 for an overnight trip ...30 for galley ...10-15 bucks for cleaning(per fish) and tips is well over 400 a trip ...not alotta ppl can afford to go on that many trips a year ....i forgot the gas to get there and ice and terminal ....

MJB

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
sold it!!
Over priced for sure........as for the condor I don't feel sorry for Scott that's what you get when you haven't been on the boat for two months

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
Wow! Now I know I'm old, since the last time I jumped aboard a Sporty (e.g., Prowler or Pacific Queen) I paid $75.00 for a 1.5 day tuna trip, but alas that was a LONG TIME AGO!

The Piper Lee

Skipper In Training
Jan 4, 2008
Lemon Grove
Name
Duplex Dave
Boat
21' Wahoo
Yep, used to fish the Pacific Queen with Brian and Sam, $175 for 1.5 day. 1-2 times a month for the season, albacore in late june, yellowfin in the fall.
Also, why would you spend the $$ when the 3/4 day boats are getting good #'s on the YFT, even the 1/2 dayers are getting some on some days....

HA I know I'm getting old now, when I can remember overnight Albacore trips for $100 and a 1.5 for $150.
Now I just go on fewer of them, and try to enjoy it more when I do. LOL

SDWhaler17

Sep 7, 2010
San Diego/CA/USA
Name
John S.
Boat
17' Boston Whaler - Newport
I love the sport boat fleet in SD and I think most are fair, but there is certainly supply/demand I get it. I fish my own small boat where this year, I win. Most years I don't and need to go on the sport boats to get into the pelagics and exotics. One thing, if I did have a gripe is when the fish counts don't match what is caught. If the fish counts were accurate it would change things, then folks could pay for the boats that really bust their tail to get fish, spend fuel etc... over time it would be apparent which boats are worth the extra $$