Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Thanks for the report. Being the captain is a tough gig, I've been on a few boats with people questioning the captain's every move. I was on the Condor this year and one of the things I liked the most was the captain's speech before we left the dock. He followed the "underpromise, over deliver" mantra and stated "it's been tough fishing out there but we are going to work hard and look for dodos and yt tonight". Although there were people questioning his decision to not look for big blues by San Clemente the first night, the weather was not favorable and the reports were not good either. There's a lot of intel that captain's (and landings) share that we are not privy to.
    Like everyone else states, the captain can only do so much. I can guarantee you that the Condor will be working hard when they go out...we never stopped looking for fish on the trip.
    YEP dead on. I've fished on Condor for many years. Never afraid to burn the fuel to find fish...
    while other boats sit plunking with nothing on the meter saving fuel. LOL

Upvote 0

scippy559

Jun 17, 2020
    Fresno
    Name
    Chad Nickel
    Boat Name
    none
    Just got off the condor 29-31, we fished US water for the dodo to capitalize on the US limit of 10 and most of the paddys we stopped on were not biting except for one paddy far from any other boat that put up a majority of the dorado we caught. There were a ton of paddy's that refused to bite, at one point we stopped on a free swimming school of jumpers and my popper was getting followed by at least 50 dolphin and I brought them right to the boat but not a single person got hooked up at that stop. 50% of people on the trip were novice at best when it came to this type of fishery and the crew tried there best to accommodate and teach them off the cuff but experienced anglers went home with a majority of the dodo and bft. We made our way to Clemente to target BFT to satisfy the half of the boat that was prepared for that style of fishing. A very experienced passenger hooked one during the day on a sliding egg sinker rig setup stopping on a school of boiling bft that dropped down when we pulled up on them. the crew hooked one on the kite that pulled the hook after getting tight. Most of those who were ready for night fishing bft got a fish at night. I tagged 2 around 80-100 at night on the 300g kb knife jig then hit the showers. I like the captain Trevor he's no bullshit, very straight up with you. The crew is awesome and they are very professional.

if anyone wants me to give a full on report let me know
    302189632_5829148040463418_2747685148375225027_n.jpg
    304849297_10221761362044844_8761038557517568027_n.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

HighWildFree

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 16, 2018
    OC
    Name
    Erik
    Boat Name
    Spaghetti Madness
    Probably had a beacon on the paddy, easy dodo limits with the chance at yellowfin in mind. Not as guaranteed with BFT’s.

Reactions: bdubs73
    Upvote 0

bradnoble

Backcountry Snowboarder
    Aug 8, 2009
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Name
    Brad
    Boat Name
    19' Glasstron
    Got out on the condor for a 1.5 day excited for a shot at some big BFT and the invasion of dorado.

Short version- we went southwest of Coronado islands, found a magic paddy to quickly MEX limit out on dodos with a few YFT.

Here’s where I have my head scratching moment….The captain then decides to make a 9 hour steam to backside Clemente for a shot at the big BFT at nighttime. Kudos to cap for burning the fuel and making the effort. 3 hours of jig dropping and headed back home. 2 BFT landed for the boat.

But my question is this, if cap was going to go end up at Clemente for the night bite, why go south for dodos when there’s a ton up north? Instead of the US limit of 10, everyone was capped at 2. There were grumblings throughout the boat but nothing came of it.

ZERO complaints about the boat itself or it’s crew. Everyone was awesome and worked well together even though it was filled with 37 anglers. Food was solid, beer was cold, company was awesome. Just wanted to get some opinions on what happened. ✌️

*No pics. Everyone knows what dorado look like.
    Cap made the right call….in my mind! I am a bluefin enthusiast 🤪…I get skunked sometimes…no biggie! I did 3 short trips this EPIC year in So Cal!!!! Got skunky on 2 trips🦨…. 2 bft on one 3 day …..one 105 lbs, one 35 or so… the 105 was put on in 15 minutes… sushi was waaaaay mo betta than an hour fish.

One guy this summer was on for 2.5 hours! The rest of us chilled and watched him git worked! He was the only one on! This was a first….we actually backed down on this fish…in a 85 foot Sportboat!!!! Lost it at color…meat would no be the same after this long…lactate too high…

That’s bluefin! The fishing for bluefin is cyclical…. This season is much like the seasons from 1898 , yes June 1, 1898, Dr Holder caught a 189 lb bluefin with Mexican Joe in ….🤣. So Cal! . Started the tuna club! From a skiff… silk 24 count silk line I think. That bite lasted until 1907…. 9 years… then it quit for a decade or so…SOUNDS FAMILIAR????

Go get ‘em…. Won’t last forever…

Upvote 0

BellyBuster

Almost A Member
    Oct 7, 2004
    CA
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat Name
    KeyWest 1720
    Just got off the condor 29-31, we fished US water for the dodo to capitalize on the US limit of 10 and most of the paddys we stopped on were not biting except for one paddy far from any other boat that put up a majority of the dorado we caught. There were a ton of paddy's that refused to bite, at one point we stopped on a free swimming school of jumpers and my popper was getting followed by at least 50 dolphin and I brought them right to the boat but not a single person got hooked up at that stop. 50% of people on the trip were novice at best when it came to this type of fishery and the crew tried there best to accommodate and teach them off the cuff but experienced anglers went home with a majority of the dodo and bft. We made our way to Clemente to target BFT to satisfy the half of the boat that was prepared for that style of fishing. A very experienced passenger hooked one during the day on a sliding egg sinker rig setup stopping on a school of boiling bft that dropped down when we pulled up on them. the crew hooked one on the kite that pulled the hook after getting tight. Most of those who were ready for night fishing bft got a fish at night. I tagged 2 around 80-100 at night on the 300g kb knife jig then hit the showers. I like the captain Trevor he's no bullshit, very straight up with you. The crew is awesome and they are very professional.

if anyone wants me to give a full on report let me know
    View attachment 1419319View attachment 1419321
    This is the trip I WISH I had! Good work!

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    He em yesterday, returning today 9/2. Limits of BF/Dorado for 30.

The Condor returned this morning with LIMITS (60) of Bluefin Tuna and LIMITS (60) of Dorado for 30 anglers on a 1.5 day trip.

Upvote 0

tommyc

Hacker
    Jul 30, 2011
    Livermore, CA
    Name
    Tom
    Boat Name
    Beatem N' Eatem
    This is my hunch too, if you have a producing patty marked, smart money says hit it first.
    My 1.5 day had a beacon, (reportedly worth $5K?) on a patty. Unfortunately in the two days between trips it floated 30 miles into a dead zone 110 miles from Point Loma. When we got there it only bit for about 45 minutes, and then we headed back the 110 miles through the dead zone. If the cost of that beacon is accurate then there was no other option for our trip but to get the beacon before it floated further. My point? Beacons don't always work out...

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Just Condor Limits of Bluefin again 9/4 in the dark.
    Trevor is live for the Condor out of Fisherman's Landing. They did it again last night and put on limits of bluefin tuna. They have 2-day limits of bluefin tuna, a bunch of dorado, and more. Trevor has the full current report for you below, listen.

Upvote 0