“biteme”

Boilin dinos
Oct 6, 2009
Bellingham
Name
Brian B
Boat
26 osprey
Whats spooky is i was 1.5" of gunnel from being in that same situation 3 boats back. 19' seaswirl with a 200 on a bracket.... hung a shrimp pot on the bottom with a honda pot puller, learning experience for sure.... always have a knife handy pulling pots, dont back into swells, and most importantly know when to let go of the stupid line. No pot is worth your life!!

Reactions: FVSerenity

Clockwork

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 16, 2011
covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
GW Marlin
That boat has about a 100gph bilge pump. Look at that tiny little stream of water passing out. Of course no bilge pump could save the boat from that A team.

Awesome how they just kind of do nothing while it fills up.

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
The sinking boat does not appear to be a NR to me as it is not wide enough and they never had splash well motor mounts like that. It really doesn't matter what brand it is as is totally operator error. Boat is sinking well before they realize it. Watch the bilge pump cycling on well before the terminal event. Pulling pots and halibut anchoring have accounted for many sinking but are quite preventable.

Swede

Yachtless
  • May 2, 2008
    Pacific Northwest
    Name
    Swede
    Boat
    Kristen Lee
    The sinking boat does not appear to be a NR to me as it is not wide enough and they never had splash well motor mounts like that. It really doesn't matter what brand it is as is totally operator error. Boat is sinking well before they realize it. Watch the bilge pump cycling on well before the terminal event. Pulling pots and halibut anchoring have accounted for many sinking but are quite preventable.

North River Mariner did

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
    Aug 10, 2008
    Lacey WA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
    backing down into chop with open transom like that is beyond dumb, then moving to the stern to further sink the transom and let water flow over = Darwin Honor Roll

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    I stand corrected as NR did make the sinker. It is unfortunate the capt did not recognize the signs. Experience can be hard won. Glad they all lived to tell about it.

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    A Hewescraft should not be compared to a Duck or NR. Hewescraft, ThunderJet, and Alumaweld are fairer comparisons to one-another.

You should seriously consider a cat though. An equally sized and even bit bigger monohull wil not compare to the ride of a cat. When the wind kicks up that 3' chop, you'll ask, "what chop".

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
    Aug 8, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    wow... you would've thought that he would have let go of the rope when she started bailing.

That could've been easily avoided if they were paying even a little bit of attention.

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
    Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    Whats spooky is i was 1.5" of gunnel from being in that same situation 3 boats back. 19' seaswirl with a 200 on a bracket.... hung a shrimp pot on the bottom with a honda pot puller, learning experience for sure.... always have a knife handy pulling pots, dont back into swells, and most importantly know when to let go of the stupid line. No pot is worth your life!!

All good rules, I don't get in the boat without my captains knife. If a pot hangs up and you keep the winch pulling it can roll your boat over the side as well.

This just looks like the wrong type boat for the job and a terminal case of the dumass.

Note to self: once you start bailing, your done fishing. Focus on the job at hand.

The dude standing there holding the rope really deserves a Darwin Award

All they had to do is let go of the pot and start moving forward.....

There was someone driving the boat but no captain.

You gotta give props to gopro though. It is an educational film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
    Aug 8, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    You gotta give props to gopro though. ...

Haha, good call. The only one on the boat that did its' job properly... all the way to the bottom.

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
  • May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    Haha, good call. The only one on the boat that did its' job properly... all the way to the bottom.

And still going when the boat was pulled up.

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
  • May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    Man i can't get my batteries to last more then a few hours!!! Must have pulled it same day...

I read somewhere that the bow of the boat was still above surface, and one of the responding agencies pulled on it, allowing the bulge pumps to evacuate the remaining water. - Looks like he was still dragging the culprit pot, and a couple other lines. Noticed many other things get washed out as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyG

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Nov 19, 2010
    Snohomish, WA
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
    I would also look strongly at the electrical rigging of the boat when you are considering brands. I looked long and hard at the two and I felt there was a very significant difference in how the boats were factory-rigged.

3 batteries minimum. Blue sea voltage sensitive relays. Etc. etc.

-t

Reactions: Waterdog247