COMMUNICATIONS

TUNAKILLA202

Oct 8, 2009
SIMI VALLEY
Name
EVAN
Boat
NORTH RIVER
What is the best app to install onto your phone while out on long-range trip that will allow you keep in contact with loved ones and work via text! I cant get 100% away for 10 days with no communications unfortunately!
thanks for your help in advance!

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
Getting a signal on a 10 day can be tough, but many people say Facebook messenger is the best app for this sort of thing.

Reactions: RichG

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
A Garmin or Delorme InReach is satellite communication uses text independent from the boat and will work anywhere you go. I have even seen some skippers use them.

Reactions: Buttchaser

Halfprice

Aug 10, 2006
Whittier
Name
Jerry
Boat
Red Rooster 111
Almost every boat has a phone you can use. Some charge some dont. I use Facebook messenger. Several times in the middle of nowhere I got a signal and called home Verizon free call and text from mexico

Jerry

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
What is the best app to install onto your phone while out on long-range trip that will allow you keep in contact with loved ones and work via text! I cant get 100% away for 10 days with no communications unfortunately!
thanks for your help in advance!
The Royal star sells $20 cards to use a satellite phone, I believe it's 30 minutes of sat phone time. I imagine other long range boats do the same.

bobby7321

Aug 6, 2008
Visalia, CA
Name
Bobby
Boat
10' jon boat
If you only need to send messages then the Inreach is the way to go. They have monthly subscriptions you can turn off/on when needed.

If you are able to grab the boat's wifi signal, then Whatsapp works pretty good.

Hismosa

Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
Boat hoe
I use groupme and had no problem keeping in contact as the WiFi is pretty solid

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Here is a less $ alternative... ZOLEO Satellite Communicator – Two-Way Global SMS Text Messenger & Email, Emergency SOS Alerting, Check-in & GPS Location – Android iOS Smartphone Accessory Amazon product
160 character 2 way communication without maps.

Reactions: Buttchaser

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
This is the App I use on my 16 day trips. Even with the boats slow internet it works.

WhatsApp

Reactions: Juanba and FishRock

chilidip

Jul 26, 2006
North OC
Name
David
Boat
17' Logic CC
I rented a satellite phone from the store that is walking distance from the landing. About $150 for a week for a 30mins package.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
WhatsApp seems to work well for folks wanting to use the boats WiFi.

Reactions: Soda Pop and Juanba

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
This is the App I use on my 16 day trips. Even with the boats slow internet it works.

WhatsApp
When I was on the shogun last year,
On a 8 day , and the WiFi, was terrible,
Because if others are using it,
IT was hard to get on.

themacs

Jul 18, 2003
San Clemente CA
Name
scott
Boat
none
Or, go on the Intrepid. They have a cordless phone for passengers to call to the US 24 hours a day. I have used it many times. No issues. The phone is just like a cordless home phone many people have in their homes.

Reactions: Let em eat 74

malanx

Royal Star 200# Club
Sep 28, 2011
Mountain View
Name
Jonny
Boat
SD landings
Line and Whatsapp are the best at sending low bandwidth messages, and will auto retry when there is no signal.

If your fellow anglers are cooperative, and you have a tech savvy person on the trip, if everyone disables auto updates for all their apps, then the limited bandwidth ends up being more than enough. Also get everyone to pre-download all the videos they want to watch ahead of time...

The problem is that everyone's phone is constantly updating all their apps, which is a HUGE data drain.

I was able to work with a few groups on previous trips, and once a critical mass disabled auto update, then we were all able to send and receive messages all trip.

Fwiw

Reactions: FishRock

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
Going on the AmericanAngler for the first time. They say they provide internet access for all. My usual boat had to cancel a trip but it does not have internet but has a sat phone for very limited use

So check out what the boat has

Someone told me you can contact your phone company and they can add something alled GLOBAL to your phone that increases what you get. have not tried it yet

have T mobile now and have not called them

wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Name
Ben
Boat
The X
As it's been stated....a low bandwidth messenger works best. Viber, WhatsApp and Signal are the pretty popular. Our comms nerds gave a briefing overseas on all 3 and said that Signal has the best encryption, if that's an issue, so that's the only one were allowed to use overseas. Put your phone on airplane mode when you leave SD and connect to the boat wifi.
Some carriers allow text over wifi...works on airplane mode as well, yet not as reliable as the messengers.
Rent a sat phone for emergencies or use the boat satellite phone....just pay the per minute they charge.
The only place I've found that has wifi issues is when getting close to HB...as you're over the horizon for satellite wifi, but a straight satellite phone will still work there due to the satellites they use.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Or turn the phone off and enjoy the trip.

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
I find apps work best: Voxer, Whatsapp, and Messenger.
The main thing is to log off all your devices when not using. Only so much bandwidth. Often times you’ll notice several browser pages open at the same time. Learn how to close all apps, ask a kid :D
Part of my hall pass to go is to check in with my wife daily. Small price to pay if you ask me.

Reactions: darthfoster

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
Whats App works great.

I just shut it off. I go on these things to be disconnected from what makes me go on these things.