Saltwater Commercials Overcaught their quotas.

Seahusky

Mar 19, 2019
Sequim, Washington State.
Name
Seahusky
Boat
Hewescraft Ocean Pro
I was sent a text by a fellow fisherman and friend earlier this morning saying that the commercial fishermen overcaught their quotas by over 140,000lb recently. Thus was the reason they closed the last fishery of MA8.
It was also reported on the radio last Saturday. Did anyone hear this and if so, what's the WDFW's response?

Of course the recreational fishermen get f***ed again because of this greed and then the failure of the WDFW to do anything about it is just so bloody annoying.
Will they give us folks back that quota next year, yeah right!

Upvote 0

Walker Inc.

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 24, 2013
Gig Harbor, WA
Name
Patrick Walker
Boat
33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
WDFW is not to blame. The fish buyers who held the tickets are. If your going to blast somebody at least do it correctly.

It was non-tribal commercials as well. WDFW did their job. Set the quotas. Probably criminal charges as I understand it for some of the buyers as well, enforced by WDFW and the state.

Upvote 0

rickstah

Ocean ho.
Nov 24, 2013
Bremerton
Name
Rick
Boat
19' Maxum for the Sound / Ocean boat-ho
and yet you've got some jackwagon commies on FB saying that it's their job so it's ok. Fuck them.

upload_2019-10-21_18-24-28.png

Upvote 0

Seahusky

Mar 19, 2019
Name
Seahusky
Boat
Hewescraft Ocean Pro
Don't shoot the messenger, as I said I heard it from another person but thank you for the clarification. Glad to see WDFW for once doing their job. Hope those caught get their licences suspended and are fined out through their ass!

Upvote 0

rickstah

Ocean ho.
Nov 24, 2013
Bremerton
Name
Rick
Boat
19' Maxum for the Sound / Ocean boat-ho
Don't shoot the messenger, as I said I heard it from another person but thank you for the clarification. Glad to see WDFW for once doing their job. Hope those caught get their licences suspended and are fined out through their ass!

They just released an update..

"
WDFW manages commercial crab seasons using catch accounting by crab buyers reporting pounds of crab purchased every day. The early closure is a result of commercial purchase data being reported after the daily deadlines.

“If crab catches are not reported in a timely manner, we risk our ability to maintain a sustainable fishery,” said Chief of WDFW Police, Steve Bear. “WDFW police are investigating these non-compliance issues to determine if the filing of criminal charges is appropriate.”

The commercial non-treaty season closed Oct. 9."

Reactions: MarkFromSea
Upvote 0

robodad

BullShitoligest
Mar 5, 2012
Port Angeles
Name
Allen
Boat
26' Olympic XLF
I was recently told by a game warden that the judges are not pursuing resource crimes as to not plug up the judicial system so don't worry, more and more of this bullshit is going to take place !

Reactions: STANWOOD BOB
Upvote 0

Seahusky

Mar 19, 2019
Name
Seahusky
Boat
Hewescraft Ocean Pro
And then we wonder why stocks are dropping??? For us recreational fisherfolk every single crab that we bring overboard we have to record immediatley. Why do we bother?
I've personally seen commercials in John Wayne Marina dumping dead crab in to the dock. My wife even has seen female crabs in their bins too. Also surplus too have been dumped, totally displacing them from where they were caught. What hope do we have of restocking an area if this crap is continuosly happening.

Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/commerc...1iXhMxiJEfdR-3Z03XZTRKDL0PObKZA2GfZhTshtsRFQA

One buyer did not report his tickets. the above comment from FB, could probably be traced through FIA as one who sold to the buyer who willfully did not report tickets. at WDFW meeting Friday with tribes, it was noted multiple times his act is a class 4 felony. We will see if it will be prosecuted as such.

Phone calls to Kelly Susewind's office would do more than bitching on this format.

CALL 360-902-2200
E-mail [email protected]

Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/commerc...1iXhMxiJEfdR-3Z03XZTRKDL0PObKZA2GfZhTshtsRFQA

One buyer did not report his tickets. the above comment from FB, could probably be traced through FIA as one who sold to the buyer who willfully did not report tickets. at WDFW meeting Friday with tribes, it was noted multiple times his act is a class 4 felony. We will see if it will be prosecuted as such.

Phone calls to Kelly Susewind's office would do more than bitching on this format.

CALL 360-902-2200
E-mail [email protected]

Upvote 0

koopa

Arima Adventures
Feb 3, 2018
Puget sound
Name
Koopa
Boat
Arima
Overfishing has led to closures in MA-11 and MA-13 going on several years now. They will just move to the next open area so they can deplete those stocks next.

Upvote 0

Fish Tales 52

Fish Tales
Sep 29, 2008
LaConner/Washington/Skagit
Name
Brent
Boat
53, Nordic PH MY, Fish Tales
Good source says the president of the commercial crabbers told the WDFW they should be close to quota on Friday. WDFW said they would leave it open thru Monday & check. Not aware they would crab all weekend? WDFW get crab counts & should be able to estimate when quota is getting close. Negligence on the part of the WDFW "Don't believe in the smoke & mirror show" going on.

Upvote 0

TonyG

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Nov 19, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Name
Tony
Boat
NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
I'll not be crabbing this weekend. Would be normally. Got a freezer full of bait.

Our measly 10 crabs would generate the state a couple hundred bucks.

Fuck me I guess.

Upvote 0

moravec

Boston Whaler 18' Outrage
Nov 29, 2008
Snoqualmie, WA
Name
Andrew Moravec
Boat
Boston Whaler 18; Outrage
Commercial crab boats move. Once an area closes, many move on to capitalize on quota from another area. Those MA 8-1 and 8-2 boats will more than likely move to nearby open areas to carpet bomb their way to quota. Sucks to have our rec share bucketed into a big non-tribal quota that commercials can apparently take for themselves. Maybe our Crab Endorsement dollars should go towards on-board observers or dockside checkers? Let's get our money's worth of what we send the state.

Upvote 0

moravec

Nov 29, 2008
Snoqualmie, WA
Name
Andrew Moravec
Boat
Sent this over to the director and fish program...

My family and I are deeply disappointed in the surprise emergency closure for the Winter Dungeness Crab fishery in MA 8-1 and 8-2. This area is the most welcoming for anyone in the Seattle area looking to enjoy winter crabbing this year, as it is in a fairly protected part of Puget Sound and a safe distance from the Everett Marina and Boat Ramp for us in small vessels. Boat pressure is spread out due to the many good areas that people can try their luck. The largest marina and public boat ramp in Puget Sound are right there, and the nearby Coast Guard station offers quick response time for on the water emergencies... and none of those benefits are available to those of us in small crafts that want to enjoy winter crabbing for the majority of the winter season.

I have read that the reason the recreational fishery closed early is due to good fishing for the non-tribal commercial fleet and the lack of timely catch reporting by a major buyer. I have also read that the delayed reporting of 140,000 pounds of crab by that buyer is a felony, but that the state will not press criminal charges as to not bog down the judicial system. If that is true, I feel like the state is doing a disservice to its recreational stakeholders by not holding accountable the acts of one buyer that closed down opportunity for the public. I also feel that this doesn't support accountability for those that profit from a public resource. I understand that the state needs to manage the non-tribal fishery holistically, but the fact that one buyer's non-compliance can ruin the fun for hundreds, maybe thousands of people who want to go crabbing this winter in MA 8-1 and 8-2, is a real tragedy for those of us that just want an easily accessible and meaningful opportunity. The state has determined that recreational crab fishers get 6% of the overall non-tribal winter crab quota... so be it, but it seems extremely unfair that even our small sliver of the pie is no longer available.

I get that I could easily go to MA 9. But it is much more exposed to marine conditions during the winter, moorage at Edmonds is constrained and even if one can get a slip is double the cost of Everett, and there is no public boat ramp (sling launches at Edmonds are triple the cost as launching in Everett).

I would hope that your office is looking at ways to avoid this disaster in the future. All we want is meaningful and reliable opportunity. If you can give us a recreational fishery, please don't maintain a system that takes it away as soon as we have a chance to enjoy it.

Thank you,

Andrew Moravec

Upvote 0

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
Aug 26, 2008
Kitsap/Westport, WA
Name
Ken
Boat
Prowling for a Cat
If the commercial buyer did in fact do what they say was done about the non-reporting issue, they should be handed a fine of $10 per pound overage, (BIG $$$), or loose your buyers license for a minimum of five years if not both.

This slap on the wrist BULLSHIT has to end.

F the sporties is always the answer.

WD.

Reactions: Pipe Dream
Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
The updated numbers between what the lax buyer reported purchasing and what he actually sold is 20000lbs of crab. So now he is reporting 160k non-tribal commercial crab he purchased but did not report in a timely manner.

There is going to be an email blast of actions sportsmen and interested others can take. Meetings are coming up and to discuss what can be done.

Stand by.

Reactions: MarkFromSea
Upvote 0

moravec

Nov 29, 2008
Snoqualmie, WA
Name
Andrew Moravec
Boat
FYI no response from fish program or director's office, not even a "thanks for your comment" template email.

Upvote 0

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
Lots of meetings the last 2 days. There has been a lot of pressure from the rec crabbers re 8-1&2 shut down. Hopefully we will hear something soon.

A LOT of people have expressed their views on this.

Reactions: BugeaterInWa
Upvote 0

Pipe Dream

Jun 15, 2009
University Place Washington
Name
Larry
Boat
20 foot Grady-White, Pipe Dream
I have read that the reason the recreational fishery closed early is due to good fishing for the non-tribal commercial fleet and the lack of timely catch reporting by a major buyer. I have also read that the delayed reporting of 140,000 pounds of crab by that buyer is a felony, but that the state will not press criminal charges as to not bog down the judicial system. If that is true, I feel like the state is doing a disservice to its recreational stakeholders by not holding accountable the acts of one buyer that closed down opportunity for the public. I also feel that this doesn't support accountability for those that profit from a public resource. I understand that the state needs to manage the non-tribal fishery holistically, but the fact that one buyer's non-compliance can ruin the fun for hundreds, maybe thousands of people who want to go crabbing this winter in MA 8-1 and 8-2, is a real tragedy for those of us that just want an easily accessible and meaningful opportunity. The state has determined that recreational crab fishers get 6% of the overall non-tribal winter crab quota... so be it, but it seems extremely unfair that even our small sliver of the pie is no longer available.

Andrew Moravec

For clarification, there is no "winter" NT commercial crab season in 2E to be compared to just the winter recreational. The crab management policy has, first, the State's share of the total harvestable poundage as agreed to with the co-managers with which to work. The policy then prioritizes its share with a summer rec season then an estimate for a winter rec season. What is left over is made available to NT commercials as clean-up. For 2019 the initial total State poundage in 2E was 1,000,000 pounds. After the summer rec season poundage was calculated and an estimate added for the rec winter season that residual portion for the NT commercials was 310,000 pounds (rounded). That puts the total at 69% for recreational and 31% for NT commercials.

So what happened? Apparently great crabbing (remember all those soft crab in August that had to go back?) and a failure (intentional or otherwise) by one or more buyers to timely submit fish tickets. Those fish tickets are required to be submitted to Mill Creek WDFW office via FAX NLT 10:00 A.M. the following day. The result was the NT commercial harvest running total was not able to be accurately calculated and their season shut down before it ended up exceeding their 310,000 pound clean-up. In reality they used up their 310,000 pounds plus the poundage estimated for the Rec winter season PLUS at least 150,000 pounds; put the NT total at approximately 480-500,000 pounds.

That 150,000+ pounds was over and above the State's share so the tribes are now fishing to equity. We are still waiting for confirmation of what the agreement will be but for the recs to get back on the water in 2E there will need to be an upward adjustment beyond the 150,000 pound overage (remember, the NT guys ate up our poundage too). The total increase in harvestable poundage for 2E could be as much as 400,000 pounds which would be +20% over the original poundage presumably determined to be the sustainable harvestable poundage. So, what to do beyond settling up with the tribes?

First, what we recs lost was opportunity in what is the most productive area also reasonably accessible to an urban center/recs during the winter as Andrew wrote. I have suggested recs be paid back by having the 2W and 2E winter season open the day after Labor Day for the next three years. Note that the only reason the rec season is closed during most of Sept is for WDFW to obtain CRC data and run the numbers to be sure that a winter season will not exceed the State's share. If one were to look at the results since the current policy was implemented both 2E and 2W have had extensive NT commercial clean up seasons - no way having that earlier start to the winter rec season would result in exceeding the State's share in those two areas.

Then there is the issue of paying back the resource. Keep in mind the problems in South Sound and southern Hood Canal. Even WDFW has cautioned about that and the need to ensure that there is an adequate biomass available to repopulate those areas through larval tidal transfer when suitable environmental conditions return. That refers to populations in mid Sound to include 2E and 2W. The NT over harvest (150,00# or more) should be prorated and deducted from the NT clean-up number in those years where the rec season is extended to include Sept. One year of Sept = full downward adjustment for NT that season while three years of extended rec would result in 1/3 reduction in NT commercial poundage as payback to the resource. Remember, that is not a penalty - it is a payback to the resource for poundage (and revenue) they were not entitled to in 2019.

And what about the tribal "fish to equity" poundage? Should the NT crabbers pay that back as well?

Whew, I am done for now.

Upvote 0

hawksfan75

Wear your god damned mask!
Sep 7, 2011
Kent, WA USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Whichever I am invited onto
I would suggest that commercials get next year's quota reduced by their overage they had this year. The reality is that there A11 & 13 have been closed the last two year because of lack of crab. I'd rather sit out another year or two or whatever for the long-term health of the resource.

Upvote 0

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
I would suggest that commercials get next year's quota reduced by their overage they had this year. The reality is that there A11 & 13 have been closed the last two year because of lack of crab. I'd rather sit out another year or two or whatever for the long-term health of the resource.

“Fishing for Pairity” sounds like a good way to “Deplete the Respurce,” if you ask me. I understand the tribal position, but it seems to me that instead of possible fishing the resource beyond what it can sustain, the overfished poundage should have been taken from the next NT commercial season. The “Stewards of the resource” should understand and be ok with this concept. No?

Upvote 0