I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
Agree that sea lions definately take their share, but Salmon CAN'T spawn in a DRY river,stream,creek.....it's ALL ABOUT WATER!!!.....Mark
So, Mark, pray for more rain, no more droughts, more funding for the DFG, no M(uther F'n)PLA!
Now let the squid boats roll!

Upvote 0

caserock

Student of life ....
Nov 29, 2005
Costa Mesa
Name
Mike
Boat
La Otra
Everybody knows that Laguna is full of Squid all year long !!!!:supergay:

Attachments

• the-frisky-squid-fashion-show-nsfw_4789033_87.jpg
    the-frisky-squid-fashion-show-nsfw_4789033_87.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 300
Upvote 0

SAN PEDRO BAIT

El Nino !!
Apr 6, 2007
PEDRO
Name
none
Boat
barge
Nobody has to worry about over fishing squid for a while or nets screwing up the bite. Tonight is the last night for seiners until april 1, 2012. There is more squid up and down the coast right now than there has been in the days of the commercial fleet. Every last one of them will die of natural causes in the next few months. I'm just guessing that the sport fishing will not get any better any time soon because of it, but I hope it does!

Upvote 0

DavePloessel

Overinflated Peacock
Jul 2, 2007
sandy eggo
Name
Dave P
Boat
nope
Do you really think that kids will not be able to catch fish because of conservation OR guys like this:

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/in...-california/371793-beach-fire-11-15-11-a.html

PS- Nice sardine you speared;)

That's a difficult question, but I think if the MLPA process showed us anything, it's that is doesn't matter one bit if people are catching limits... the people who want to shut us down will be trying to shut us down regardless, and when we rail against guys like Raul, we only shoot ourselves in the foor.

It's basic bargaining... If we ask to keep current 20 fish per day and no slot limits, we will likely end up with slot limits and reduced bag - say 5 or 10 per day - in the upcoming MLMA process... If we start out by asking for slot limits and reduced bag limits, we will likely end up with complete species closures on species like sandies, calicos, sheepies, and an even more drastic reduction in bag limits - say 2-5 per day.

If you thought the MLPA was bad, just wait 'till the MLMA gets here. The enviros are already spooling up their "science" to show the need for species closures for everything from WSB to Calicos, to sheepshead, to lobster, to just about any inshore fish we like to catch and eat. This time we need to NOT help them.

And hell to the ya I shot that sardine. You ever tried to shoot one? Those fuckers are HARD to hit, and the cat ate well last night along with the rest of us.

Upvote 0

polfishski

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 5, 2008
Descanso
Name
Tom
Boat
20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
No ----. Just go catch some fish and be done with it. Im so sick of MLPA and all this other crap. The phony govt cant even close the border to stop illegal drugs how do they think they are going to close the ocean to fishing .

Upvote 0

DavePloessel

Overinflated Peacock
Jul 2, 2007
sandy eggo
Name
Dave P
Boat
nope
No ----. Just go catch some fish and be done with it. Im so sick of MLPA and all this other crap. The phony govt cant even close the border to stop illegal drugs how do they think they are going to close the ocean to fishing .

I wish that was the case, but the difference is that there are hundreds of bored houswives in OC who think they are saving the world by keeping "those evil fishermen" out of their ocean. (think about the OP here... imagine a hundred of him, only without his background in fishing)

Add in thefact that Surfrider foundation, steal the bay, coastcreeper, and a bunch of other wacko enviro groups are now recruiting and training "volunteer MLPA monitors" who will be watching the waters all up and down the coast to make sure you and I aren't fishing the MPAs.

If you are sick of the MLPA now, you'll likely quit fishing once it actually goes into effect in a little over a month.

Also, there is the MLMA coming down the line. The enviros are counting on people to adopt your attitude and just roll over so they can steamroll us again.... I know it sucks ass, I know everybody is sick of it, but now is the absolute worst time to quit trying.

Upvote 0

DragBurner1

Jun 20, 2009
Newport Beach
Name
Jerrald
Boat
26ft,255Conquest,BostonWhaler
That's a difficult question, but I think if the MLPA process showed us anything, it's that is doesn't matter one bit if people are catching limits... the people who want to shut us down will be trying to shut us down regardless, and when we rail against guys like Raul, we only shoot ourselves in the foor.

It's basic bargaining... If we ask to keep current 20 fish per day and no slot limits, we will likely end up with slot limits and reduced bag - say 5 or 10 per day - in the upcoming MLMA process... If we start out by asking for slot limits and reduced bag limits, we will likely end up with complete species closures on species like sandies, calicos, sheepies, and an even more drastic reduction in bag limits - say 2-5 per day.

If you thought the MLPA was bad, just wait 'till the MLMA gets here. The enviros are already spooling up their "science" to show the need for species closures for everything from WSB to Calicos, to sheepshead, to lobster, to just about any inshore fish we like to catch and eat. This time we need to NOT help them.

And hell to the ya I shot that sardine. You ever tried to shoot one? Those fuckers are HARD to hit, and the cat ate well last night along with the rest of us.

WTF is the MLMA

Upvote 0

tossmeatuna

Sep 23, 2010
La Mirada
Name
Tommy
Boat
Instead of us arguing amongst ourselves, is there something that we can do?
All you fools that wrote freakin 10 page posts claiming to know what the fuck is going on, spearhead us in the effort to stop the shit that's bout to go up our asses.
You lead, we will follow!

Upvote 0

Tues

Not my job...
Mar 17, 2008
Saluki
Name
Penis
Nobody has to worry about over fishing squid for a while or nets screwing up the bite. Tonight is the last night for seiners until april 1, 2012. There is more squid up and down the coast right now than there has been in the days of the commercial fleet. Every last one of them will die of natural causes in the next few months. I'm just guessing that the sport fishing will not get any better any time soon because of it, but I hope it does!

Squid is gay...

Upvote 0

DavePloessel

Overinflated Peacock
Jul 2, 2007
sandy eggo
Name
Dave P
Boat
nope
WTF is the MLMA

Marine Life Management Act. govmt program that will be hitting us the next few years .. http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mlma/

See, the MLPA was never supposed to be about fisheries management "it was about protecting the environment". The MLMA is directly about fisheries management, and the enviros are already on the march creating bad science. Think we got screwed by the MLPA? Wait until they try for a daily bag lmit of 2-5 fish per day and total species closures on fish deemed "critical for the health of the kelp forest, reef, etc" like sheephead, calicos, etc (they are ALREADY using this language in their packard funded "science") and narrow slot limits on whatever is left (WSB, Halis, YT, etc.)

The MLPA was round one. the MLMA is where it is really going to get ugly, and it's right around the corner.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
This thread is like beating a 60lb Bluefin to death with a Mallot
until the deck is full of MUSH!!!:rofl:

Good input, but kinda worn out now?????

Upvote 0

Fin Fever

May 6, 2004
Seal Beach
Name
Johannes
Boat
44 Pacifica
WTF is the MLMA

MLMA = Marine Life Martial Arts

it is what happens when sportcaptains yell at or throw lures at private boats

or when private boaters fish in the sporty's chumline

other events are crashing another guys kelp paddy and dropping hoopnets on lobster divers

Dana White says MLMA is gonna be huge

Upvote 0

Westend

T-Sharker
Jun 23, 2011
Huntington Beach
Name
Grant
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 CuddyCon
On the 9th of November this photo of, in excess of 20 commercial squid light boats was taken off Laguna beach. We are fighting for our fishing lives and this shit takes place right in the backyard of the contested MLPA fishing grounds. the commercial squid guys have been out in the same area for 2 weeks now. I do not know but I would bet more than one by-catch white sea bass, calico bass or other species was killed in this commercial fishing bonanza. It seems to me when you rape a food source for an area interupting the food chain you are flushing the future down the toilet. These boats are using nets to wrap tons of squid. How many white sea bass and other species will starve now or be by-catch killed because the commercial squid guys just had to catch that squid less than 1/2 mile off laguna beach. Night after night the light boats are there. The sardines dissappeared in california for over 20 years, WSB didnt come back until grow out pens were established,, we wonder where the Albacore have been and the commercial fishermen blame who for over fishing,,,look at the photo's and you decide who is screwing up this fishery and what the long term effects will be.
I love to fish and have been skunked many times but this is truly,,,

The worst day ever,,,,,,,:shithappens::shithappens:
sorry mods if i put this in the wrong area please move it but i thought local guys would want to see it,,,
Why don't you pull a Paul Watson and go chase them down in your kayak.

Upvote 0

DavePloessel

Overinflated Peacock
Jul 2, 2007
sandy eggo
Name
Dave P
Boat
nope
Showing a picture of Lobster with a speargun next to it is pretty FN stupid!

Hey FN stupid guy, it's legal to have a spear gun with you when you are lobster diving as long as you don't use the spear gun to get lobster.

Ask a warden.

You know what's really f ing stupid? Calling someone f ing stupid when they were Not breaking the law. Maybe if you actually knew the d e f g laws, you wouldn't look like such a moron right now.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Hey FN stupid guy, it's legal to have a spear gun with you when you are lobster diving as long as you don't use the spear gun to get lobster.

Ask a warden.

You know what's really f ing stupid? Calling someone f ing stupid when they were Not breaking the law. Maybe if you actually knew the d e f g laws, you wouldn't look like such a moron right now.

I never called you stupid.
I never said it was illegal to have a speargun while diving for Lobster.
I never called you a name.
You really need to interpret better.
And you really should check your baggage at the door.

I used to dive and I never needed a speargun while freediving for Lobster.
To this day some of my friends are divers and we work together quite closely, it's give and take.
My point was why put yourself in a situation where:
1) you walk out of the water with what's in the picture, warden is there, and they put you through some questions and/or the ringer and you have to explain. I know the 2 or wardens I communicate quite frequently with one working SMB and surrounding areas and the other working the offshore islands would rip you a new one.
2) let others assume you need a speargun while freediving and/or diving for Lobster.
That's 3rd grade, straight-up!

I think my point speaks for itself, along with your defensiveness, name-calling, and the picture.
You keep taking your speargun with you while you dive for Lobster Dave Ploessel, I could care less.

Upvote 0

DavePloessel

Overinflated Peacock
Jul 2, 2007
sandy eggo
Name
Dave P
Boat
nope
So you are saying wardens would rip me a new one for... Wait fot it....not breaking the law?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Maybe you should stop pretending to know wardens. wardens in southern california are way to professional, and way smarter than to waste their time doing something like that. The warden's down here are smart. They take 1 look at the gun followed by a quick glance at the lobsters to see if there is any holes in them, and say "nice catch". They can tell if you use the gun to get lobsters. I've met many many wardens in southern california, and have yet to have a single 1 of them hassle me... On the contrary, they are stoked to see fellow sportsman out enjoying the ocean to its fullest. They are concerned with catching poachers, not "ripping new ones" on people who are not breaking the law.

Its people like you that scare people away from fully enjoying the ocean. There is no reason a diaper can shoot fish and lobster on the same dot. It's called a mixed bag. Maybe you chose to limit yourself, maybe you were just work a good enough diver to handle hunting lobster and fish at the same time. I really don't care what your reason is, but you shouldn't piss in other peoples lemonade for not doing anything illegal. Your points are worthless, because all it boils down to is you trying to discourage legal fishing.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
I expressed my opinion, plain and simple, and you can believe what you want to believe as shall I.
Time for me to move on, take care Dave Ploessel.

Upvote 0

fdengine13

Almost A Member
Jun 5, 2004
Dana Point
Name
Paul
Boat
30' Skipjack
Hello all,
I received a call from a friend who owns a squid boat regarding my earlier post in this thread. He clarified a bunch of things and I would like to pass along his information. Here is what he said:

There are 60 boats with squid permits that are allowed to fish in California. Of these, 25 are registered outside of California. These boats pay additional fees, above and beyond, what California registered boats pay. He stated that these boats are generally smaller that the "local" boats and do not have near the capacity.

In his estimation, there is endless quantities of squid, mostly due in part to the colder water. In his 25 years of fishing he has never seen so much squid from the Mecican border to northern California.

In reference to the OP's photo, he stated that in addition to the 25 boats pictured in the photo, boats were fishing at Catalina, Newport and numerous other places up and down the coast.

When I questioned him on the DFG's research and the fact that I don't trust them he stated that there is some very in depth research that has been going on for several years. This data has yet to be released.

He also stated that, as has been pointed out in previous posts, most squid is netter closer to the surface which means that the pelagics such as yellowtail and seabass are not caught in the net. He also stated that the reason the squid season is closing early is because there is so much squid. He believe this is a testament to the health and abundance of the fishery. He also stated that in the next couple of weeks that hundreds of thousands of squid will spawn and die on the ocean floor.

So, I stand corrected on my earlier post. While I have no faith in the DFG, I completely trust my friend (who wishes to remain anonymous). I aslo believe that it would benefit the entire commercial squid fleet if they had a spokes person to put out their message. After speaking to my friend, I have completely changed my opinion. This needs to be done on a larger scale.

Upvote 0

zorcho

Aug 25, 2009
moorpark ca.usa
Name
scott
Boat
18 seaswirl
A definte education in commercial fishing should be sought after before a post like this . I can personally attest that what is wrapped is what they are going after not everything that swims.

Upvote 0

CeleryStick

Nov 18, 2011
newport beach
Name
ken phillips
Boat
pink canoe
I have 2 questions. Why after a "Quota" has been reached are light boats able to continue to catch 2 ton a night??? 50-60 light boats a night x 2 tons a night= 100-120 tons a night. What is the definition of "Quota" again? 2nd question- Why dont they close seining during the spring (March 15th-June 15th) when WSB and most other fish spawn and let them seine when these fish don't require this vital food source (November-February) ?? Remember, these are only questions.

Upvote 0