Commercial fishing net

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Paulle37, Jun 17, 2018.

1. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Stefan
    Boat:
    Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
    Yeah I got lucky, this is my first sea bass lol

Carry on

2. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    We figured that out on our own

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    Hippie, Microbait and bricktop27 like this.
  3. Jones-White

Jones-White Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Handmade 22' V hull Dory. (Jeff Spira Design)
    Yeah good luck, unless your looking for federal time for tampering with a commercial fisherman equipment.

4. Jones-White

Jones-White Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Handmade 22' V hull Dory. (Jeff Spira Design)
    Why are so many people bitching? Is there anything going on illegal here? If so call the guard. If not keep driving your happy ass right on past this post.

Everybody had to make a living, if it's legal, IT'S LEGAL. If you don't like it sign a petition and try to do something about it. Leave the guys alone and bitch somewhere else. Alot of these guys are on here working theyre asses off. Including the capt of a seiner we used to run out of o'call the Linda C.
    All the time douchers have shit to say. I'd tell them enjoy your day, come back in a few days for some fresh fish. They NEVER did and now it seems half of them are on BD complaining.
    Everybody has a job, if yours is selling "organic fruit" at the Sunday farmers market. Keep it that way. I'm tired of hearing everybody bitch. If there's fish and were properly licensed. Were gonna go KILL EVERYTHING WE CAN LEGALLY UNDER REG. And were not like all these private boats/cattle boatss that take the meat and dump the other half of the fish in the ocean.
    Which is my case is fucked up. We use every piece if the fish. Why dump when you don't have too?

That's my 50 cents.

5. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    The history of commercial fishing is find a fishery,get as much as you can as fast as you can until it's pretty much decimated and the government steps in to regulate it. It happens over and over at the expense of everyone,the commercial fleet included.
    People need to make a living and the world needs protein but the way it's done now is fucked up.
    You know you've lost the debate when your best argument is "they do it too".

6. squidiot

squidiot Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Glaspec 42
    When I need an accurate historical perspective of the commercial fishing industry in California I'll be sure and contact you.

7. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    naivety is alive and well in this one.....

8. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    Quite a few of us on this board did do something about it long before you were born .We all paid extra on our fishing licenses to buy out the net boats and push them off the beach .I can't speak for everybody else but I would pay extra again to get rid of all the net boats period.
    Standard comercial logic there.
    Ever followed a drag boat ?

9. ahidog

ahidog 10000 atta boys

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    105', Camcraft, 85', Ditmar, 65' Noreck
    Assuming this was outside of IB and not out by the nine, these are likely halibut gill nets and are anchored not drifting. Yes they catch other things too. Also could be rock crab pots

10. uglyducky

uglyducky Member

Name:
    Jesse Collin
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 21'
    Slavery was legal at one point
    Women unable to vote was legal at one point
    Japanese internment camps were legal at one point.

If you’re going to use the law as a litmus, you must remember that it does not always factor in ethics, morals and general consideration for sustainability. Furthermore, many people (myself included) have made numberous efforts to curb this practice over the years. It is precisely your short-sighted view of the way things are that has led us into the most dire environmental, and species decimating times we have ever seen since recorded human history. I suggest you rethink your position from less of an emotional, microcosmic place to a larger scale. I’ve lived half my life, I’ll be dead before any of this really matters. To move on with a passive acceptance of the stastus quo, citing “Everybody had to make a living, if it's legal, IT'S LEGAL” is to say we as fishermen are not sensitive to the impact of such practices. Your fear of not making money should have no bearing in a conversation about what is best for the planet.

11. Michael Gorgita

Michael Gorgita Newbie

Name:
    Michael Gorgita
    Boat:
    22 Bayrunner
    A little note for HARDCOR and Jones White, the " know it alls " that think they are fisherman, I personally have worked on commercial gill net boats for swordfish and threshers, shrimp trawlers, harpoon swordfish boats, etc and my family of Portuguese and Italian fisherman have told me the stories of how it was in the early years. I have more experience on the ocean than you two dudes. There are plenty of seabass around and its not because of those grow out pens, its because the sardines came back. They are catching seabass in Monterey and San Fran bay as I write this. Where did those fish come from? You can call me all the little names you want but its not going to stop the people from taking fish,, they swim and whoever catches them, kills them the same way, either way they are dead. Go talk to some commercial guys and get the real story, then make your comments with the facts to back you up, have you ever wondered what the billons of gallons of sewage that gets pumped into the ocean everyday does to the water, the plankton, the anchovies and sardines and ultimately the predator fish? HUMMMNNN

12. squidiot

squidiot Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Glaspec 42
    Michael,
    Don't waste your time with these guys.Their minds were made up way before they had any facts. Their arrogance is only superseded by their ignorance. Over and out.

13. uglyducky

uglyducky Member

Name:
    Jesse Collin
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 21'
    This entire story is anecdote and zero fact. You actually invite people to seek out more anecdotal “evidence” you offer no facts nor a way to ascertain them. Try again?

14. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    You just showed your dumb ass thinking and lack of knowledge. There is a moratorium on Sardines from over fishing by the commercial fleet again. You got your head so far up there it is sickening. All I can say is people like you need to pull your heads out before it's to late. I'm teaching my grand kids to do it the right way. I want to save this coast from uneducated blowhards like you. And I will.

PS You have more experience then me ? You are fucked up. Again pull that peanut head of yours out of your ass.

15. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    This area is heavily populated with people who fish recreationally. There's about seven harbors from the border to LB. Tons of money is spent on boats, electronics and fishing gear. Hundreds of Sporties are relying on fish in order to make a living. What stimulus to the economy does commercial fishing bring?

There a lot of less populated areas to commercial fish than here.

16. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    Let me see a fish report you have given. Your as bad as the shit flowing out of the TJ river. When you pull your nets and see more dolphin,turtles,sunfish,sea lions and whales then the target fish how does that make you feel. It makes you a dumb ass whole. You're bait

17. Microbait

Microbait Fresh One

Name:
    Kristin Ellizabeth
    Boat:
    Husband's
    I am a scientist in microbiology for the last 52 years. You are a little man with a little penis that hides behind your computer. I suggest you go back to trolling Corey

18. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Blessed are the peacemakers; Matt 5:9

19. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    Somethings NEVER change,the sportys against the commercials.Will gone on forever as long as the populations needs and want protein.Tom

makairaa and REPO like this.
  20. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    i'm purdy good at my cypherin'.....
    add in education until about the age of 24(?) and you would be about 76 now and still active in microbiology? cool
    so in those 76 years - or just the last 60 or so - how many times have you seen scientists overturn previous scientists? I'm talking complete 180s here, ma'am.

so go back to parading around with your vagina on your head..... I aint salutin'it with my ....... little penis? you actually went there? LMAO!!!!!