Commercial fishing net

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Paulle37, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    You're right, Paul. Lot's of nerves (and nerds) on this board, no doubt.

Another page turned, on to the next one!

2. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Yep. It was all good until the name calling started.

Commercial fisherman have to make a living, too. I just don't agree with gill nets of any kind, purse seiners and long liners, but as long as it's legal, there is nothing we can do about it except express our opinions.

I do make exceptions for bait, landing and hoop nets!

karlk1125 and Hardcor like this.
  3. Paulle37

Paulle37 Newbie

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    1850 sea swirl
    The way I saw it was if somebody started talking about how to get rid of my job on a forum, I guess I’d be pretty pissed too. Fact is gill nets can be harmful but commercial guys who use it, need it to make a living. I started this thread because I had no idea what it was and now I got a lot more information from both sides.

4. keenfish

keenfish Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    6'5" CI Flyer
    "You're"

Just sayin' :frehya2:

Microbait, uglyducky, Hardcor and 4 others like this.
  5. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    When I see people voicing their opinions (many times in a nice way) and it's contrary to the masses it becomes entertainment at it's finest. I get this visual of a thick mackerel school darting around in a frenzy, dashing by my Luck Joe. As soon as one is bold enough to take the hook, I have a full string in a second.

I've been the Lucky Joe more than once on BD. The best thing to do is to lift your line out of the water.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Microbait, Hardcor and polfishski like this.
  6. Jones-White

Jones-White Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Handmade 22' V hull Dory. (Jeff Spira Design)
    Lol your ignorant as they come. Why do you think we have seabass pens up and down the coast? Because we have a fantastic migration of wsb? I don't think so buddy

Hardcor, Halibuts Dream and Paddyman1 like this.
  7. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
  8. ja73

ja73 Member

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Arima SC16
  9. Brass_Slacks

Brass_Slacks Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Hank
    Boat:
    Public
    Plenty of different types of arrangements between the commercial fishermen and the fish buyers.
    Some guys pay flat fee for anything you bring in.
    Some guys have agreements based on species
    Some guys rate quality at the dock and negotiate price based on market.

I remember a guy who would pay $1 per lb for anything you brought in. This was back in the 90s.

We all like to think that the commercial guys are wiping out our fish stocks. The reality is that for the most part that's untrue. For every shady foreign flagged vessel illegally harvesting there are 50 honest operations playing by the rules and equally as concerned with conservation as we are.

10. ja73

ja73 Member

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Arima SC16
    I do agree the driftnets are bad and California is the only state using this old practice of catching Sharks and Swordfish. The 70% of byctach that is killed, compared to the 30% of actual wanted catch, is ridiculous.
    The state wants to ban the old ways of using Driftnets the fisheries are currently using, in favor of "Deep Set Buoy Gear", which is proven to be just as efficient in catching Sharks and Swordfish as the nets are, but without the large byctach kill percentage.

The way it's looking for the commercial fisheries is, they will need to start accepting the new way of catching these species of fish. With the California State Senate vote of 32-0 to prohibit the use of the large nets by 2023, it's just a matter of time the nets will be banned.
    Just as the farmers found out in the central valley, you need to invest in updating your equipment and ways of doing business or start getting big fines which could eventually put you out of business.

You can read the bill here:
    https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB1017

Deep Set Buoy Gear

mikeyG, Fisha, fishsmith and 3 others like this.
  11. YouFARMEDItBro

YouFARMEDItBro Member

Name:
    Farmer
    Boat:
    Sold It.
    Anyone here defending drift nets clearly has no f-ing clue about how they work or commercial fishing practices. You cant possibly compare drift net fishing to a sport boat, thats like saying laying rat poison laced salt blocks all over the place in the Forest is no different than a group of deer hunters working the area..Drift nets are recognized around the world for their destruction and by-catch damage. They are the fishing equivalent of fracking. Sloppy, uncontrollable and destructive. Bottomfish, sharks, mammals, you name it. Its a slippery slope even allowing these things to begin with yet here we are. F these guys and F their nets. Period.

Something being legal doesn't mean its right or ethical or good for the ocean, it just means someone was convinced to let it happen. We've got enough pressure on our migratory gamefish with Mexico below us having a total free for all. Anything pelagic that makes it up the line past the Mexican seiners and Drift nets is a bonus. O We really have to do a better job at preserving our local species as well it or there is going to be a lot of bitching in 5 years about bad fishing.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  12. squidbutt

squidbutt docidicus gigas

Name:
    BJ
    Boat:
    shamrock
    thanks for the heads up. did not know california waz so behind...

13. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    All I can say is pull your head out of your ass. What a dumb fuking dork. We raise Sea bass in cages for commercial gill nets ? Do not apologize to this idiot.

Your bait, Your a worm

14. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    You can tell who is educated and who is not. I have fished this coast in my own boat sense 1976 and the commercial fleet has devastated our coast. In 1980 when the first purse seine boats started fishing the Dana Point area they wrapped everything and if it wasn't what they were looking for they let it float. I've seen thousands of floating barracuda. In the eighties I was on a wide open Yellowfin Tuna bite and I was wrapped by a purse seine. You young guys have heard of the good old days. I lived it and take it from me, The commercial fleet is to blame

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  15. King Halibut

King Halibut BigBoy

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    none
    Snip, snip, cut, cut!!!

karlk1125 and Hardcor like this.
  16. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Stefan
    Boat:
    Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
    Do I like gill nets, no!

However, there is a fraction of the gill nets that were around 20 plus years ago

Not sure how anyone can complain about local fishing over the last 5 years or so.

We are in the midst of the greatest BFT fishing we have probably ever seen

We had 18 months of all the 20 to 30 lb yellows one could want of the LB and OC coast recently.

Calico bass fishing has been excellent the last 3 years, sand bass and cudas have been way off IMHO

On to the white seabass. Seabass are slow for most people because of the lack of costal squid. Not surprising you actually have to go out and work vs sitting on a squid nest praying for a seabass to gulp down a white jig loaded with squid

Go make some macks, find some conditions, throw the rope at them

[​IMG]

michaelwong5 likes this.
  17. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Coastal fishing has improved since the gill nets were moved but the mackeral are no where near what they used to be. A spotter plane and seiners took care of that. The giant schools we used to chase for the seabass under them have been gone for years. I'm not seeing better than it used to be as good enough.
    There's a wall of gillnets at the channel islands now and the only reason there's still seabass being caught is all the red crab is in the shallows keeping the seabass inside the one mile limit.
    Sorry but the right to "feed your family" at the expense of everyone else's right to a healthy fishery is fucked up.

karlk1125, uglyducky, plj46 and 4 others like this.
  18. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    You're right everything is just peachy

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  19. Microbait

Microbait Fresh One

Name:
    Kristin Ellizabeth
    Boat:
    Husband's
    I go by biology,science and studies that have been done not some guy that got lucky and caught a fish and thinks everything is ok.

Hippie, Donkey Nick, plj46 and 2 others like this.
  20. Mr. lucky

Mr. lucky Newbie

Name:
    Jason Gutzmer
    Boat:
    La Rana
    We saw a bunch of black flags and bouys on the way back from the islands today approaching Pt Loma . Didn’t know what they were and am wondering now if they were drift nets? Anyone else see all those and know what they were?

E3291963-36F4-49F8-A4BF-88F9570ADDB0.jpeg