Commercial fishing net

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Paulle37, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Northeastfshman

Northeastfshman Moderator

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV

Was having my 10 year anniversary at the Ritz this weekend. Saw a set of gear just outside creek. Defiantly inside of 3 miles...never saw gear in there before.

2. crappiekiller

crappiekiller crappiekiller

Name:
    bob
    Boat:
    charlene
    All your barracuda will be M.I.A. tomorrow. Standard operating procedures, wait for fish count then go clean house. Nothing new been going on for years.

Hardcor likes this.
  3. Michael Gorgita

Michael Gorgita Newbie

Name:
    Michael Gorgita
    Boat:
    22 Bayrunner
    STOP CRYING, it really doesn't matter if a commercial guy get 60 seabass in his net or a party boat of twenty gets limits (60) ..they still die. You do not own the fish, and quite frankly putting nets in at 3 miles does not guarantee they will "wipe out " seabass. Right now the channel Islands has massive schools of seabass swimming around them and the commercial guys are at home. WHY..because the seabass are in shallow and cannot be netted. Lastly for the moron who stated that the commercial guys have " politicians in their pockets", you are talking out of your #@$, because in reality its the other way around, the environmentalists have the politicians in their pockets..they have the money, not some fisherman trying to feed his family. DUHHHHH

CartridgeCalls, Hookdown and ratboy like this.
  4. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    I have never seen a party boat of twenty getting limits of 60 WSB down south in the last 10 years; and of course it matters - industrial commercial fishing has wiped out more populations of sea life than sport fishing by a long shot. Even though the laws are more complicated on their side and you can cite certain cases where it's different, in practice, sport guys are restricted much more in what we can do, and what we can take, than commercial guys.

5. nick worn

nick worn Member

Name:
    Nick Worn
    Boat:
    Your mother

Hmm someone is a little defensive?? Are you the alleged gillfag?:supergay:? Sure seems like it! :finger:

6. MarktheShark56

MarktheShark56 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Skipjack 22
    The sign of a true ignoramous is one who doesn't know how to spell ignoramus

7. Glassman

Glassman Newbie

Name:
    mike lopo
    Boat:
    21'striper cuddy
    Netting seems really destructive and indiscriminate as far as what is caught and killed etc.
    However if this is being penned along with Feinstein I'm betting there is a lot more to it than just saving fish.
    Haven't read it but that's their usual MO.

8. squidiot

squidiot Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Glaspec 42
    I'll quote you. "Just wondering if some guy out there is catching all my bottom fish at the horseshoe." Your an ignoramus!

9. squidiot

squidiot Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Glaspec 42
    By the WAY..........an ignoramous is materially more ignorant than a ignoramus.

MarktheShark56 likes this.
  10. GarytheCPA

GarytheCPA Member

Name:
    Gary Craig
    Boat:
    36 BHM
    Didn't Steve Lasley say that when he was a commercial fisherman he had all his fish sold before he left the dock? That seems to be the way to go in my mind.

11. Paulle37

Paulle37 Newbie

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    1850 sea swirl
    First of all, it was meant to be a joke. I obviously don’t think any of the fish out there is all mine. Secondly, it’s obvious I’ve offended so I apologize. I now realize there’s two sides to it. The livelihood of the fishermen vs the sustainability of the methods. I don’t know enough about either so I’ll keep my mouth shut.

martman likes this.
  12. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    Steve as well as many commercials have a reg customer bank that can take virtually anything they get.We did some commercial R&R Cbass fishing in the early years of the Dreamer.Not hard to unload fresh Cbass.Tom

Hardcor likes this.
  13. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Explains the elusiveness.

Hardcor and mhanson59hb like this.
  14. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    You're too kind. Don't apologize.

Remember the old Danish proverb, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me!" :gay:

Skol

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  15. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Wow. This has to be the most clueless post I have ever seen. Let me count the ways:

1. I am not just worried about "60" seabass. It's all the shorts and by-catch that is killed along with legal fish taken by nets. Recreational fisherman release unwanted fish. Nets, no so much. If you cant see the difference then you should schedule an optometrist appointment.

2. Nets anywhere cause damage, be it within 3 miles or not. Lost nets keep on killing.

3. If you don't think commercial fishing interests lobby politicians, then you are truly naive. I'm not talking about mom and pop operations. Globally - fishing is big business. Wake up.

4. Commercial fishing takes 90% of the total take compared to rec anglers. Commercial over fishing is responsible for depleted fish stocks everywhere.

5. Resorting to name calling means you have nothing. NOTHING.

Now go pull your fucking gill nets out of the black sea bass spawning grounds. And while your at it, try to get your cranial/rectal inversion reversed.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    karlk1125, uglyducky, LEC and 9 others like this.
  16. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    20 people getting limits of 3 each. Hmmmmm....I remember reading an article about that once in a real news"paper" back in the late 70's (about 40 years ago before the population was depleted and human-beings had to start hatcheries to save the bisquits)

Felt good to use the Beiber button after such a long time.

bieberbieberbieberbieberbieberbieberbieberbieberbieberbieber
    tumblr_mzb46qloZV1r91uyxo1_500.gif

karlk1125 and mhanson59hb like this.
  17. squidiot

squidiot Newbie

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Glaspec 42
    Hi Mike,
    I'll go pull my nets out of the black seabass spawning grounds wherever those are, when you and your buddies stop killing yellowtail under 28 inches, sheepshead under 14 inches, ling cod under 24 inches, slabbing out for bait and high grading thousands of small rockfish so you can presumably catch a larger rockfish or keep a larger limit of 10. Sound reasonable?

CartridgeCalls and Hookdown like this.
  18. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    I concur. :smoking33:

19. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Hey Tim. First of all, my post was directed at Michael Gorgita, not you, so it must have hit pretty close to home for you to reply to it. Are you his mom?

According to CA fishing regs, 5 yellowtail under 24 inches can be kept, so why you are trying to lump that in with the rest of your "keeping shorts" accusations is beyond me. Are you saying that you have never kept a yellow less than 28 inches long? Right...... However, we always release small yellows unless gut hooked.

As for your other things listed, I have never done any of that, and it's not how it's done on my boat, so yes, it's reasonable.

And by the way, you did not refute any of my points - just accused me and my "buddies" of poaching and keeping short fish.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  20. Paulle37

Paulle37 Newbie

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    1850 sea swirl
    Thanks man. I’m really here for fishing tips and fishing stories and to check out pics of fish caught. I obviously touched a nerve and there’s no sense in a back and forth with anybody.

Low N Slow and Blackfish like this.