c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
I just wanted to take a minute to show off my latest creation.
Its a 1911builders.com commander bobtail in 416 stainless.
My favorite build thus far.Super proud.It came out perfect.I spent way too much time(hours and hours)getting the slide to frame fit to perfection....absolutely zero play.

Just my opinion...but the beauty of an 80% 1911 build is that the lansdcape of the gun isnt all boogered up with all those letters and numbers.
Dont get me wrong,Kimber builds one of the finer 1911,s in the not custom hand built but still affordable 1911,s out there...but,something about having the name kimber spelled out in fancy handwriting on the slide just does not appeal to me...I wouldnt trade this gun for five kimbers...just my opinion.

commander bobtail build.jpg
commander bobtail.jpg
commander bobtail.jpg
commander bobtail.jpg
commander bobtail.jpg
commander bobtail.jpg

Upvote 0

Johnlgarrison

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    That is a real beauty, i love the 1911 frame. Just curious if you don't mind what would one like this cost? I am getting back into shooting after 25 years, I'm kinda shocked at the prices

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
    Admin
    Apr 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    That Guy
    Boat
    SeaVee 340Z
    That's a beauty.

Can you explain what exactly is involved? Do you machine parts or just put the ones you like together like an AR build?

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    Its a little more challenging of a build than an AR...simple if your good with your hands.
    with the 1911 80% you need to cut the slide rail in the frame and the barrel seat.Although with the 1911builders.com kit the barrel seat was already cut but you had to file down the deck using their decking jig.Also the parts from this company were better quality,i would recommend these guys unless you want to build an aluminum framed 1911 then I would use stealth arms and their jigs.

The aluminum build from stealth was my 1st and easiest build...aluminum is so much easier to work with.I would recommend stealth and their jigs for a first build just because of the aluminum factor and all you need is a bench vise pretty much.You will learn a lot on your first build and if your like me it wont be your last.

I have a small mill press in my garage but it only accepts up to 3/8 shank bits.I looked far and wide for a 3/32 key seat cutter with a 3/8 shank...they just dont make one.So I had to use the stealth arms jig to cut my commander rails.They say it cuts steel...it did but it was not an easy task...I went through 3 of the cutting bits(at $25 a pop) and still had to finish off with hours of filing with a special rail file made for this task.
    1911 buiders.com actually have a new style jig that you can hook a cordless drill up to that pulls the frame past a set of cutters,they were sold out then and they are still sold out today.If I knew then what I know now i would wait till they get these in stock.unless you have acces to a mill press.

Once I got the slide to frame done it was smooth sailing from there.The thumb safety has to be filed slightly to fit,one stroke to many with the file and it could be trash...I screwed up the first one did.The key is to assemble the gun without the grip safety so you can see how much and where you need to file away...1 or 2 strokes... test fit... then repeat till it just goes into safety.This was really the only hand fitting besides the rails I had to do,this includes the stealth build also...it really is simple.

I watched every single you tube video there was on building a 1911 before i started my first build...it can be very intimidating.But with a complete kit from stealth arms or 1911 builders.com(I dont recommend ares armor) the gun goes together without excessive hand fitting.There was no filing on the barrel to match the slide etc like one would do if a match barrell were purchased seperate from the slide.
    Some tools I had to buy other than the jigs include a slide lapping tool ,lapping compound and some misc files.Slide lapping tool is an absolute must.Brownells is the place to go.Also a good set of dial calipers.

Building a 1911 is very addictive and lots of fun.Ive completed 3 of them and Im pretty sure im done for now.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    That is a real beauty, i love the 1911 frame. Just curious if you don't mind what would one like this cost? I am getting back into shooting after 25 years, I'm kinda shocked at the prices
    Check out stealth arms or 1911builders.com.Kits run about 1K not including jigs,tools etc.One could go out and buy a beautiful kimber for less than building an 80%....but thats no fun.:)

Reactions: Bigpondonly
    Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    I forgot to mention for special tools besides slide lapping tool one will need a plunger tube staking tool.Brownells part #080-001-000WB.
    The 1911 builders.com frame the holes for plunger tube were all ready pre-chamfered on the inside.The stealth kit you have to take a dremel with a small "ball bit" and chamfer it.

Hope to see pics of other builds in the future,good luck and dont forget,you tube is your friend.

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
    Admin
    Apr 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    That Guy
    Boat
    SeaVee 340Z
    thanks for the explanation. That sounds like more work and liability than I have time for right now.

Upvote 0

Fishslayer

Tinfoil Hat
    Dec 13, 2003
    Ramona
    Visit site
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    MV Heywood Jabloughme
    thanks for the explanation. That sounds like more work and liability than I have time for right now.

If you want a Commander size bobtail but an 80% isn't in the cards the Dan Wesson CBOB is on the Kalifornistan not-too-unsafe roster. There is also a jig that lets you put a bobtail onto a standard frame. Some people really like the feel of the rounded butt and bobtail their FS 1911s.

At $1600-ish it ain't cheap but IMO you won't do better than the CBOB without stepping up into the realm of semi-customs or sinking a lot of time & money into a lesser model. And like C-Goat I am also a fan of simple naked slides...

Upvote 0