goin2bepro

Jan 26, 2016
missouri
Name
Derek
Boat
glasply
Hey there,
My name is Derek and I have been lurking in the forums for about a month now. Anyways, I'm getting ready to move back home from the mainland after 10 years and have an opportunity to buy a boat and bring it with me. I am looking at two boats as of now. The first boat is a 1985 20' sportcraft center console with a t-top and 115 hp outboard. The boat has been overhauled with new guages, rebuilt motor, new interior, but i haven't looked at transom/stringers yet. Also comes with a 2001 trailer. I can probably talk him into selling for $6500.

The next boat I'm looking at is a 1972 17' glasply with trailer that will likely need a full overhaul along with new engine, currently has an ooooold wizzard outboard. But i can get this boat for next to nothing.

Last option is to wait to come home and try to find a deal.

Mind you although I'm from hawaii, I'm new to boating. I fished/spearfish (shore/kayak dive) my whole life just never knew anyone with a boat. I'd like to the boat to be an all around rig for troll, bottom, family. Also, shipping of the boat will not come out of my pocket.

All things considered, what are your thoughts, opinions, recommendations?

Ps. Sorry that was so long.

Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Take the Wizzard. No place like home........

Upvote 0

Kinaiahi61

Jan 17, 2012
Lihue, Hi
Name
Kalani
Boat
Kai Kea
Buy something up there, you get a lot more boat for the money. I would go with whatever size you can store once back here. Usually, boat owners only upsize, they don't usually downsize. Projects cost a lot, read my post "at it again." I'm into it so far for around 8k or more in materials. Keep that in mind as well as the time it takes, oh yeah, and fit that into an already busy life. Good luck, and post up, everyone likes to read them.

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2006
san diego
Name
curt ljungquist
Boat
22 sea cat/16 klamath
i bought a boat in Hawaii and shipped it to long beach ca. it was expensive. check out shipping prices before you buy here.

Upvote 0

goin2bepro

Jan 26, 2016
missouri
Name
Derek
Boat
glasply
Thanks for the input guys. I was looking at the glasply because i heard they have good hulls. At some point in time the founder moved to hawaii and started building boats there too. There are a lot of Sea Ray and Bayliner cuddies over here. Should i be looking into those? Most are ib/ob motors and not really setup for fishing. I think regardless of what i get, i will have to modify it to make it useful in hawaii. Obviously modifications and restoration are 2 different animals.

Upvote 0

SEA SEVEN

Feb 2, 2006
San Diego
Name
None
Boat
None
You didnt specify what island? I moved from Cali to Maui and shipped a fully rigged 24' Skipjack, retro fitted with a new Volvo Diesel that was great for So Cal and Mexico. Fact is .. that style boat is not made for these waters. Going backside Kahoolawe and the channel between Big Island and Maui past the lighthouse after laperouse is the most violent seas you will ever encounter. I've fished Cortez on that Skipjack 100 miles out and as much as I hate to admit it .. that boat was outmatched by these waters. Remember, 15 miles from Kahalui is where Jaws is..Im sure you heard of it ... there's a high surf for Maui right now (FEB 02)and Jaws is currently seeing 50' waves.

The boats you mentioned are not gonna handle the offshore conditions in Maui.. neither will any light weight boat (unless you pick your days)...There are days where Kona winds blow and the entire island of Maui is like a bathtub 60+ miles out. But those days are rare and few. Theres also good reason Radon is so popular down here. Oahu or the Big Island maybe a different story. They have a lee side thats like a lake majority of the time .. But Maui or Kauai? we have trade winds majority of the time and you need to go big and heavy if you want to fish anytime/ anywhere around these island.

PS . I sold that Skipjack because I needed to fish without picking my days and also the best buoys are near Hana and past Kahoolawe.

Know the waters and what fish you want to target before purchasing a boat. That way people on this board will know how far and what conditions the water will be. That way, you can narrow down the type of boat to get.

Hope this helps .. good luck

Upvote 0

daveyboy

Jun 28, 2005
oceanside
Name
david
Boat
twin vee, cat, na
I always thought a catamaran hull would do good in Hawaii, especially for their conditions, maybe you can find a 17 ft cat. skiff on the east coast for a good price and easy to tow to cali and then ship to island,

Upvote 0

goin2bepro

Jan 26, 2016
missouri
Name
Derek
Boat
glasply
Thanks leg0. I guess I should have stated where and what I was going to use it for. I grew up in Makakiko, Oahu and will be returning to Oahu but not sure where yet. I plan on using the boat for any and all fishing. Probably leeward or southside most of the time unless the conditions are right for winward (housing on leeward so much cheaper). I'm not planning on making huge runs, the farthest most likely the FADs. I'm ok picking my days, I have no problem staying in close bottom/reef fishing or fishing Kbay. I would add, I shore fished and dived groing up. Never had a boat so this will be new to me. Obviously I'll have to take it slow, take some USCG classes, and ask my friends for mentorship. Maybe even make a few friends from here. I hope this helps with any recommendations.

Davey, I'll give it a look. Those power cats are interesting.

Upvote 0

SEA SEVEN

Feb 2, 2006
San Diego
Name
None
Boat
None
Names Joe... OK.. Lucky you!.. with that lea side, you can fish almost anytime. No matter what boat you get, you will most likely need to retro fit it. Reason being, no place to put the feesh!! My boat maxed out at 700lbs of fish, even after retro fitting, Sucks cause sometime we'd max out by 10am leaving a ton fish biting. Its a different style fishing over there, it would take me 50 pieces of ahi to get 700lbs, while it would take you 3.
Anyway - ya check out the CAT. You will love it. I was able to fish anytime anywhere around Maui and even did some island hopping .. Molokai, Oahu with the cat. Here's a few pics of the size ahi we get, I usually sell at the harbor 700lbs of ahi is extra cash!

And a vid of the cat, some handline and some crazy Maui seas!

Joe

[
1969178_808478849225570_3378877548559929550_n.jpg
10931556_808478692558919_8602579570591000253_n.jpg

10929020_808478735892248_8844355503911652026_n.jpg

Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0

goin2bepro

Jan 26, 2016
missouri
Name
Derek
Boat
glasply
Shoot Joe, thats pretty nuts taking the wave like that. Glad you didn't get hurt too bad. I've been on the search and found this, stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/5415728289.html , can or no can. Obviously a HUGE project, but is it worth the investment? I'll probably spend big to restore and make marketable in hawaii incase I have to sell. But is it lose lose or lose now, win later?

Upvote 0

SEA SEVEN

Feb 2, 2006
San Diego
Name
None
Boat
None
Dont worry I dont think lea side of Oahu ever gets that bad. Thats a normal day for Maui... no pain .. thought is was super funny tho. I was out with my neighbor that day as we usually take 2 boats, because mine only holds 700lbs of ahi maxed and he has a 1500lbs hold in his Radon. So after he plugs his boat, he jumps in mine.
About that boat you saw..No way brah... seller is right . trailer is where the value is ..and that trailer you can find for 2500. Unless you really good at glassing. Boat has sunk, so you need to gut this thing bare bones, check fuel tank, new engines etc. Too much work for me.

I found a great deal on a TwinV 26' with Honda 4Strokes for 10k comes with trailer, almost bought it to ship back home and flip it. Prolly get 30k for it back home.

If you can ship a boat and not be on your dime, thats the way to go, as you can get almost double back home. But get something that those Hawaiians know, and they know Bayliner is no boat for Hawaiian offshore kine.

Joe

Upvote 0

goin2bepro

Jan 26, 2016
missouri
Name
Derek
Boat
glasply
So to give you guys a idea of what I'm looking at over here, below are pics of a 20' sportcraft center console. The one I'm looking at is a 1985 with 140 evinrude. Motor rebuilt, interior redone and new guages. I think she'll go. Hopefully i get her under $5k. I know i wont be running hard offshore but maybe can go pelagic on the leeward side. Your thoughts?

http://jacksonvillefl.preownedyacht...8-20-sportcraft-202fisherman-cc_17182929.html
http://www.strykerttops.com/v/vspfiles/ttop-gallery/sport-craft.asp

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
That thing looks clean for 5k. But, you have to take into account that you will have to repower down the road. Used, newer HPDI two strokes are an option however you will be spending 4k+ at the very least for a repower. I don't know much about that brand but if the boat is solid, run that Johnson until it blows up and repower!

BTW, had a Stryker on our last boat. Great product.

Upvote 0

goin2bepro

Jan 26, 2016
missouri
Name
Derek
Boat
glasply
Thanks Tanner. Repower one day, I'm thinking about grabbing an extra outboard while im here along with a kicker. Got newer rebuilt outboards for like $2500 for a 150hp, model years 2000 and newer.

Upvote 0