d0bu2

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 12, 2009
Honolulu Hawaii
Name
Justin
Boat
17 Alii Kai / 24 Yellowfin
Weather was looking good, we decided to change it up a bit so me tyler rob took out the "Jenny G" to do some light tackle fishing went out to the spot but for some reason the depth finder wasn't working properly so we prayed to the ancient hawaiian fishing god's and started making random drops ! We drifted around a bit finally found a moana kali hole used some bait to try to entice them caught a few but also a little too much hage's. We switched and we tied on our homemade damashi fly rig's then the bite started to pick up, we landed a few more moana kali's and other etc fishes threw out the day.:puff:

changboy

Nov 9, 2009
Honolulu
Name
Brian
Boat
"PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
looks like steamed fish and uku sashimi, good going!
:2gunsfiring_v1:

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
wow. That's a lot of variety.

What is that big snapper and the fish with the wiskers?

laakea

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 2, 2011
waipahu/hi/ usa
Name
Rob
Boat
laakea
wow. That's a lot of variety.

What is that big snapper and the fish with the wiskers?
The snapper is a uku or gray snapper the fish with the wiskers are goat fish theres 3 different types of goats in there weke ula ,moanaukali and moana 3 of 7 or 8 that we have in hawaii.

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Justin, Tyler and Rob,

Who needs a depth recorder anyways... way to go on an awesome variety.

Cheers
Pat

Da.Ching808

Nov 7, 2011
Kaneohe, HI / Tacoma, WA
Name
Chris
Boat
RH Boat Pro V16
Onaga like 90-150fts.. I plan to go fishing for Onaga when I get back and go fish with capt Craig

Night Moves

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 20, 2007
Guam
Name
Jon
Boat
Kuleana
Onaga like 90-150fts.. I plan to go fishing for Onaga when I get back and go fish with capt Craig

Wow 90-150??? In Guam we don't start catching Onaga til 700'! 150 would be awesome. I know in Palau that get them in the lagoon at 400'.

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
Wow 90-150??? In Guam we don't start catching Onaga til 700'! 150 would be awesome. I know in Palau that get them in the lagoon at 400'.
90-150 fathoms, not feet. :D

Da.Ching808

Nov 7, 2011
Kaneohe, HI / Tacoma, WA
Name
Chris
Boat
RH Boat Pro V16
Ya fathom my bad.. And it would be my first time catch Onaga and I had no idea gonna learn from capt Craig :) sorry for mistakes

808shorecaster

Sep 9, 2010
Kaneohe,HI
Nice mixed bag catch. Lots of different cooking options for all of your catch. I'd do the table boss uhu style stuffed with lup cheong, mayo, oyster sauce, mushrooms and onions. Uku I'd go sash and chinese style steamed with ginger green onions cilantro hot peanut oil and shoyu.

nekine

Apr 26, 2010
Loma Linda, CA/ Honolulu, HI
Name
Spencer
Boat
chris craft seahawk 22'
why would you keep all those little guys???
maybe thats all his "leftover" bait...

Nice catch on the big goats n ukus but i think i speak for most fishermen born n raised in hawaii on how important it is to abide by the legal size limit to ensure that there will be a healthy fish population in the future. But im sure keeping those baby moanas was a necessity to prevent waste. We as local fisherman can only do so little yet the little we do makes a big difference.

d0bu2

May 12, 2009
Honolulu Hawaii
Name
Justin
Boat
17 Alii Kai / 24 Yellowfin
all the moana's met legal size except for maybe 2 or 3 that was leftover bait, they just look tiny when placed next to a ulua. All the fish went to family friends and market so wasn't wasted

nekine

Apr 26, 2010
Name
Spencer
Boat
chris craft seahawk 22'
lol cuz ive been fishing all my life n i know what a legal size moana looks like so unless the legal size for moana is 6 inches id say two or three are LEGAL...but no worries cuz nobody is measuring ah... ;)
n why would anyone want all those borderline moanas? I see maybe one i would keep. throw em back unless u n ure friends r starving or sometin...

Jul 16, 2010
honolulu/HI/USA
Pisses me off reading this thread. Minus most of the fish on the table and the ulua on the ground, what kind of fisherman would keep the rest???

Where you from dobu2? It's obvious you aint from here... No respect, classless

LundieF

Jul 3, 2009
Haiku
Name
Lundie
Boat
20' Shamrock WA, Maka 'oi 'oi II
What do you have against moanas and table boss, or why do you think its classless that he kept them? Enlighten us.

laakea

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 2, 2011
waipahu/hi/ usa
Name
Rob
Boat
laakea
Pisses me off reading this thread. Minus most of the fish on the table and the ulua on the ground, what kind of fisherman would keep the rest???

If you wasent dea dont say shit and if you dont like it dont read it and shut up cry baby mean how you talk to dobu my boy would out fish u any day u guys like talk bout conservation come check da bouy wen im holding shibis in da air and show da boats to throw um back cause dey keeping rats under 8 to 10 pounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

laakea

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 2, 2011
waipahu/hi/ usa
Name
Rob
Boat
laakea
lol cuz ive been fishing all my life n i know what a legal size moana looks like so unless the legal size for moana is 6 inches id say two or three are LEGAL...but no worries cuz nobody is measuring ah... ;)
n why would anyone want all those borderline moanas? I see maybe one i would keep. throw em back unless u n ure friends r starving or sometin...
Dat looks like a outlaw moana in ur cooler to me no? You was right da first time da small one were baits dat died but Hey u guyz can dog us for dat to if you like this forum is to share reports and pics congratulate each other not hate

Da.Ching808

Nov 7, 2011
Kaneohe, HI / Tacoma, WA
Name
Chris
Boat
RH Boat Pro V16

Geez man.. Justin n rob n Tyler not waste all fishes.. They sell to produces or give away to friends n families... I understand your rookie.. (cuz ur screen name say Rookiefiahman) stop rant negatives.. They DIDNT waste them..

Hey bro Rob don't waste your breath on dat guy..

nekine

Apr 26, 2010
Name
Spencer
Boat
chris craft seahawk 22'
Dat looks like a outlaw moana in ur cooler to me no? You was right da first time da small one were baits dat died but Hey u guyz can dog us for dat to if you like this forum is to share reports and pics congratulate each other not hate
that was a dive pic and it was 1 moana about 10 inches. look at it compared to the mickeys bottle. im not tryna hate just tryna educate ppl who might not have had the luxury of fishing our islands for their whole lives and dont know what is "keeper" and what is the manini ones u throw back automatically. if it was a couple babies that died in da live well i wouldnt say notin, but that look likes at least 20+ that could have been released. When i dive/fish, i dont keep anything close to borderline illegal. The rest of the catch was mean, but u gotta be smart and keep the illegal bait size kine to a minimum. what if one small kid saw that pic no doubt he would think its ok to take home 30 borderline/baby moanas. I only complain because ive seen through the many hours in the water how little fish there is compared to 10 years ago, and with more ppl and "good" fisherman around how much fish u think gonna b left in 10 years?

laakea

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 2, 2011
waipahu/hi/ usa
Name
Rob
Boat
laakea
that was a dive pic and it was 1 moana about 10 inches. look at it compared to the mickeys bottle. im not tryna hate just tryna educate ppl who might not have had the luxury of fishing our islands for their whole lives and dont know what is "keeper" and what is the manini ones u throw back automatically. if it was a couple babies that died in da live well i wouldnt say notin, but that look likes at least 20+ that could have been released. When i dive/fish, i dont keep anything close to borderline illegal. The rest of the catch was mean, but u gotta be smart and keep the illegal bait size kine to a minimum. what if one small kid saw that pic no doubt he would think its ok to take home 30 borderline/baby moanas. I only complain because ive seen through the many hours in the water how little fish there is compared to 10 years ago, and with more ppl and "good" fisherman around how much fish u think gonna b left in 10 years?