The American Tackle Company

usraptr

Aug 13, 2012
Woodland Hills, Utah
Name
Brad Merritt
Boat
Cheap Thrills
Sorry if this has been asked before. I know you don't need CP on metallic thread, but is there any benefit to using it; specifically does it help keep metallic thread from fading? I know in the past some metallic colors, like green and purple would fade after prolonged exposure to the sun. I'm doing a long metallic bright blue dragon scale wrap and was just curious if CP would help it from fading or have the thread manufactures addressed this issue?
Thanks for any input.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I don't think it would help keep it from fading.

Upvote 0

cmepen

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jun 16, 2009
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Einar Lohner
    Boat
    Cabo Marine 226
    Generally metallic rod wrapping thread does not require CP. However, some metallic thread used by rod wrappers is not originally designed to be used as rod wrapping thread and may have silicone or other contaminants that don’t react well with rod finish causing fisheyes and other flaws. It does not hurt to put CP on the metallic thread. It will not help much with color fade. When in doubt use CP.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

RWP

Almost A Member
    Mar 31, 2021
    VB
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Kayak
    I've never had an issue with any Fuji metallic threads fading or changing colors.

I've had CP cause headaches though, so I try to avoid it whenever possible.

Upvote 0

Capt Richie

Atlantic Custom Tackle
    Aug 10, 2008
    nassau NY
    Name
    Richie
    Boat
    32 albe
    CP really wont help is from fading,,UV will fade anything & everything,,,I do find for whatever reason purple metallic fades quicker than other colors,,some look blue and some turn a off shade of white...But I do use CP on metallic thread unless I want the nylon thread I'm using with it to darken..

most epoxy finish has UV protector in it now to slow down the process of fading..

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    I use CP on all my builds, I coat after each wrap, to me it saves time, and sometime when you on a new wrap you somehow hit the previous wrap and it unwinds. so the CP keeps it from unwinding , that system has worked well for me... some epoxy coat after each wrap but the takes to long to dry.
    so I end up with 2 maybe 3 coats of CP . then I flexcoat 2 to 3 coats .

Upvote 0