Colnet advice

spooled56

Apr 5, 2009
Buena Park,CA
Name
Tim
Boat
17ft. Triumph
I noticed a number of you have been to Colnett lately. I am going this weekend on the Black Pearl for a 2 day. Any advice on jigs for YT and Lingcod? Thanks in advance. Tim

Upvote 0

LA Smoker

Jul 12, 2007
LA buey
Name
Bob
Yellows: High speed reel, like a torium 20 or Saltist 30 or 40 th spooled with spectra and 50 lb topshot. Salas 6x in scrambled egg, baby poop, or blue and white. WIND WIND WIND!!! Dont stop winding. If you give the fish the momentum, you can potentially get rocked.

Lingcod: Big Grubs (I like rootbeer or white, Berkeley makes a power bait, kinda like gulp but no juice) on 6-10 oz leadhead depending on depth and current, Diamond jigs, glow pl68. Bait on Dropper loop is another way to go, either Mack, Rockfish, or dines.

Have a good time, stay dry, and post a report.

Upvote 0

riverplayer

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 5, 2006
Riverside
Name
Ed
Boat
Osprey 30' Long Cabin "Into The Mystic"
Squid dosent hurt either....If you have an oriental market by you, buy the small octipus which are bling bling for the heavier lings.

Upvote 0

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
  • Feb 4, 2003
    Encinitas, CA USA
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    340Z SeaVee
    I have always done well there with Tady 4/0, Salas 6x, Salas PL68 in Blue/White and Scrambled Egg. The Sardine pattern is good as well. The 50lb test is a must for Yo-Yo jigs. For some reason it just swims the jigs right. Wind, wind, wind! If your jig stops early put it in gear and grind as fast as you can. The Yellows hit it on the sink.

Listen to the captain as to which side to line up on. Don't be "that guy" that tangles everyone from being on the wrong side of the boat.

Upvote 0

ambush1

Swagger Lures,
    Jul 24, 2006
    lakewood
    Name
    brett bumz
    Boat
    23' Seaswirl Cuddy Cabin BUM N OUT
    salas 6x green and yellow and wind :jig:

Upvote 0

PescadorPete

Here, Fishy, Fishy!
    Nov 4, 2007
    Leucadia, CA
    Name
    Pete
    Boat
    Hobie Revo13 (LJ), American Angler (SD), Success (PV)
    I'm on the Apollo this weekend. For grubs, I'm bringing Berkley Power Bait 8" glow in the dark and some big MC slug baits. For iron, Salas 6X or Tady 4/0 in scrambled egg, blue/white and green/yellow and a glow PL68. Also some lead and shrimp flies and I'll tie some ganions on the way down.

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Sportboat
    As tight as you can get 50 without breaking......if you're fishing right for any gamefish you should have your drag as tight as possible.

Upvote 0

Shogunsc4

May 5, 2008
    Glendora
    Name
    Sheki
    Boat
    na
    As tight as you can get 50 without breaking......if you're fishing right for any gamefish you should have your drag as tight as possible.

typically I fish with 14-15# drag for 50# test....I just thought that it needs to be buttoned down because of the structure there at colonett.

Upvote 0

Ron1973

Let's Go FISHING
    Nov 6, 2009
    Ladera Ranch, Ca
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    N/A
    Tim -
    I've went on the Black Pearl. Rick the capitain will not make it to Collenett! He'll stop at the lower 500 or someplace close... That was my experiance on that boat, other than that, you'll have a blast! The deckhands are a great crew and good guys!

Upvote 0

PullinAhi

Fisherman
    Feb 8, 2008
    Mission Viejo
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    18 foot CC
    Tim -
    I've went on the Black Pearl. Rick the capitain will not make it to Collenett! He'll stop at the lower 500 or someplace close... That was my experiance on that boat, other than that, you'll have a blast! The deckhands are a great crew and good guys!

I fished the Legend 2 weeks ago, The Black Pearl was on day 1 of a 2 day. He was right by us off of Castro's camp. Don't know why he didn't go the extra 30+ miles for his 2 day. The 5 other boats that ran to colonet on 1.5 day trips had good yellowtail fishing. The Legend and Pearl had no yellowtail.

Upvote 0