Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
So being I moved to Colorado I basically fly for all of my salt excursions which I have a full quiver of 7'6" rods that southwest accepts.

My last few LR trips my 9 foot jigrod has stayed home and I've realized I genuinely miss surface iron on the long rod...

I've googled collapsible rods which always turns up cheap collapsible spinning rods

Musky guys have rods that have one break that shortens a 9 foot into 7'6"

Does any of the big guys in saltwater offer a similar design for salt needs? Even in an experimental stage I would kill for a 40lb surface iron blank that could be wrapped in tuna cord or cork.

Ideas? Calstar seeker UC Phenix anyone?

And NO I won't ever be using a spinning rod to huck surface iron.. I want to fish a torque 25 star and have that ultimate control that a spinner would never offer

Share some ideas!

Last edited:

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Talk to a "old time rod builder." Many moons ago I remember they would have the butt of the rod detach just above the reel seat, you would slide it in and screw on, like the reel clamp. Haven't seen one in years. I bet they could make one.

vegasandre

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
So being I moved to Colorado I basically fly for all of my salt excursions which I have a full quiver of 7'6" rods that southwest accepts.

My last few LR trips my 9 foot jigrod has stayed home and I've realized I genuinely miss surface iron on the long rod...

I've googled collapsible rods which always turns up cheap collapsible spinning rods

Musky guys have rods that have one break that shortens a 9 foot into 7'6"

Does any of the big guys in saltwater offer a similar design for salt needs? Even in an experimental stage I would kill for a 40lb surface iron blank that could be wrapped in tuna cord or cork.

Ideas? Calstar seeker UC Phenix anyone?

And NO I won't ever be using a spinning rod to huck surface iron.. I want to fish a torque 25 star and have that ultimate control that a spinner would never offer

Share some ideas!

Should consider that 2 piece 8.5" + popping rod with quality Spinner.
Way more control,consistency, average distance then any long rod. But of course , I may be in the minority here...

Reactions: fishordie

luckylogger6

May 19, 2010
Northern CA
Name
Joe
Boat
none
RTP100H-CG Clear Gloss 10'0" 2 50-100lb. 6-12oz. 0.863 9.0 MOD-F H 15.87oz. 6-12oz. Medium to Magnum sized poppers

A 10' footer rated 50-100lb and will cast a 12oz popper???? That thing sounds like a beast.

Reactions: Olddog8

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I'd give the rainshadow tuna popper 100MH for a normal yellowtail rod for 40-50lb work. It's a little faster than a traditional jig stick but the closest thing you will find in a transportable package and a full 10'. I thought they were pretty damn nice. I thought about building one for myself when I pulled on the blank, and I still might. Breaks down to a 3' handle and a 7' tip section. The joint between can be covered up with a Turks head and no one would even know its 2 piece unless it s a very close inspection.

Reactions: Olddog8

diabolicaldog

Jul 24, 2009
Somewhere quiet.
Name
mike
Boat
Daiwa has some 3 piece 8-8'6" "Airportable" spin popper rods that could be rewrapped. Mid and premium(Saltiga) lines have this configuration and the rods will fish 80-100+lb and #20 drag.

Reactions: Lone Shark

Jul 15, 2009
gvl
Name
jimmy b
Boat
23' POLAR BAY BOAT ( Sea Diddler )
Juicy Beaver jig and rod co 909 703 9115 makes them , i have been fishing the prototype rods for 2 yrs and they are amazing 9' to 7.6' for travel everything from calico bass to bft to 100lbs

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone Shark

Olddog8

Well-Known "Member"
May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
RTP100H-CG Clear Gloss 10'0" 2 50-100lb. 6-12oz. 0.863 9.0 MOD-F H 15.87oz. 6-12oz. Medium to Magnum sized poppers

A 10' footer rated 50-100lb and will cast a 12oz popper???? That thing sounds like a beast.
It feels like a 10' rail rod. It kicks ass but is for 60-80lb line. Still has good action, not as sensitive as a black hole rod but the RTP100 in MH or H would be my recommendation too.

Reactions: Juanba

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
The rain shadow rods are a bit heavy. I have one in conventional, sold the custom spinning version. It will beat you up. I must have caught 50 little yellowfin at hurricane bank all on the popper on the 10' spinner and it was tough (the cows had backed off) Had to really want it. If I started over, I would get a black hole 2 piece blank and make it conventional if that is what you want. 10' heavy surf casting blank will work or the nano.

Reactions: fishordie

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
The rain shadow rods are a bit heavy. I have one in conventional, sold the custom spinning version. It will beat you up. I must have caught 50 little yellowfin at hurricane bank all on the popper on the 10' spinner and it was tough (the cows had backed off) Had to really want it. If I started over, I would get a black hole 2 piece blank and make it conventional if that is what you want. 10' heavy surf casting blank will work or the nano.
Did you have the heavy or medium-heavy?

Outhouse

Feb 13, 2007
Germantown, TN
Name
Jon Scobey
Boat
Titanic
Guys, I have a custom wrappedRainshadow 10H that needs a home. I’m too old and feeble to handle such a rod. PM me if interested.