You only live once
Apr 9, 2019
Snohomish, WA
Name
Barry
Boat
Hewes, Coldwater
Updates on progress:

1) Hull is mostly done, some welding left. Gunwale wrap is on, bow wrap is on, anchor locker is partially built. Waiting on tanks (fuel 400g, fresh water 40g), and fish/storage boxes to show up from across the street. Focsle and crash bulkhead starting very soon.
2) Roof is coming together. Brow, arch, running light & Flir pedestal, rails, rain roof supports are in place. Still need 300# davit, dinghy chocks, rod holders.
3) Cabin framing just starting. Should have basic exterior and interior layout welded up in a few weeks with galley, dinette, dash, etc roughed in and some mock-ups in cardboard so we can settle on storage options and final dimensions on the semi-custom stuff.

The cabin and roof will be fully assembled off to the side while the hull and everything below deck and in the focsle are finished. Then the cabin and deck are dropped in. Judging from watching #48 being build, I'd say everything will be welded together and looking like a boat in 8 weeks.

Here are some pics...

gunwale extrusion on, black rubber bumper strip will snap in later:
IMG_9114.JPG

anchor locker underway, focsle starting shortly:
IMG_9122.JPG

Bow wrap is on:
IMG_9126.JPG
IMG_9129.JPG

42-39-56, Whole Lotta Rosie:
IMG_9128.JPG
IMG_9115.JPG

Pedestal where the running lights and FLIR 232 will go. About the only metal item bolted on to this boat is the removable radar arch. Everything else is hand fabricated & welded in the shop.
IMG_9116.JPG

The 42" rain roof starts where 'back wall' is scribbled. Corner rails will hold 10 rods, with center access to dinghy and tossing nets. Roof, like the rest of the exterior, will be bare aluminum with sharkhide and Matson grip on all traffic areas (cabin/brow will be vinyl-wrapped in white).
IMG_9118.JPG
IMG_9119.JPG
IMG_9130.JPG

Cabin starting to be assembled. Interior usable cabin length is 10'6 (dash to door), not sure of overall length.
IMG_9133.JPG

Rear helm will go on the right, freshwater sink/storage on the left. Plotter/VHF/Fusion will be in a lockable cabinet top right. Cabin and windows are 2" taller than past versions so I can see through without crouching (kudos to CW for doing this).
IMG_9134.JPG

Still on track for a spring delivery.

Last edited:

blindpig

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 25, 2010
Lynden
Name
Erik
Boat
25' Kingfisher
As soon as I hit the mega millions

No kidding...closest I'll ever come to fishing on a boat like that is if I get an invite to go on OPB's. She's going to be something special. I wish I was Bill Gates favorite nephew. Just gonna have to keep slumming it on my Kingfisher. :daman:

FINATIC 21

MAD SALMON
Jul 20, 2010
Oly, WA
Name
Jay
Boat
27 Raydanie Pilothouse
How the hell did I miss this build ...

Very nice , Envious although my ph does get it done for us halfway comfortably...!

Dave's Delta

"No, we're not catching"
Apr 9, 2009
Auburn & Westport, WA.
Name
Dave
Boat
Looking for a Delta
Beautiful build, I'll be watching this very closely. Out of curiosity, could a 4-5KW diesel gen set be added to this build?

PSULion

You only live once
Apr 9, 2019
Snohomish, WA
Name
Barry
Boat
Hewes, Coldwater
Twin F300's push this newer hull just fine. I've talked to 3 who have the same hull + power and they say it runs very well (couple 6-packs and a private tuna guy). I've confirmed this for myself on sea trials for #48. Certainly not a speed demon (cruises 23-24kt @ 3750rpm, WOT 36kt @ 5800+), but planes very easily and delivers a level of efficiency, safetiness and economy that is more than acceptable for my application.

Reactions: Tomictime

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Link? never seen anything negative on THT
Anthony Hsieh's facebook page. He installed them across his fleet of Bad company boats and everyone has failed. He posted up about bad bearings and wondering if anyone else had the problem. Dozens of people responded. Blown bearings, gears, install problems, destroyed rudders and shafts. A couple that have torn spars and destroyed the boat. He is talking a class action lawsuit.

PSULion

You only live once
Apr 9, 2019
Snohomish, WA
Name
Barry
Boat
Hewes, Coldwater
re: genset's - I was planning to buy a portable Honda 1000 or 2000 generator and only pack it for the longer trips. Would plug it into the shore power so the hot water tank and microwave will run. Trying not to overthink/over-engineer this, though I'm admittedly new to cruising/overnighting.

Last edited:

xtshawytscha

May 14, 2011
Forks, WA, USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Cabin Fever - C Hawk 245
Congrats on an incredible boat that you've obviously put a lot of thought into. The Coldwater boats have always been my dream "lottery" boat. They seem perfect for most applications up here. I remember seeing Tailwalkers go by on Hwy 101 several years ago and I raced down to La Push as soon as I could to check out it. Patrick was finishing up after a halibut day and was nice enough to let me climb aboard and look around. Simply incredible boats. Thanks for sharing the build progress and please keep the pictures coming!

Reactions: PSULion