Cold storage

Kingfisher13

Nov 6, 2018
Oregon
Name
Jeff Fox
Boat
22 Osprey Northwind
I'm coming down to fish for the last week of July. I will probably launch somewhere in the Longbeach to newport area. Is there anywhere to store fish in the area? Don't think the hotel mini fridge is going to cut it. Or maybe it will if the fishing sucks for us.

michael e. bingham

Well-Known "Member"
May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
Try to book a hotel with a restaurant and call ahead to see if you can store some fresh fish in thete freezers

Reactions: Kingfisher13

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
sou cal
Name
Frank
Boat
Kayak
If that restaurant storage idea doesn't pan out, You can always take an extra large ice chest just for fish storage in your hotel room, then find a place that sells dry ice nearby. The Smart and Final supermarkets sell dry ice at most locations for 1.50 a lb but you may be able to find a local place cheaper if you want to bother looking around. If you do keep a cooler with dry ice in it...maybe keep it in the bathroom with a window cracked open and the door shut when not there as dry ice is also used in rodent burrows to suffocate them since it displaces oxygen as it melts.

Kingfisher13

Nov 6, 2018
Oregon
Name
Jeff Fox
Boat
22 Osprey Northwind
If that restaurant storage idea doesn't pan out, You can always take an extra large ice chest just for fish storage in your hotel room, then find a place that sells dry ice nearby. The Smart and Final supermarkets sell dry ice at most locations for 1.50 a lb but you may be able to find a local place cheaper if you want to bother looking around. If you do keep a cooler with dry ice in it...maybe keep it in the bathroom with a window cracked open and the door shut when not there as dry ice is also used in rodent burrows to suffocate them since it displaces oxygen as it melts.
It's a good idea. I keep a 165q cooler on board and that would work fine particularly if the fish come near the end of the trip. Was hoping for a lead on a place that could store and freeze. It would be really helpful for the trip home.
20190713_185304.jpg

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Maybe a local, NICE forum user can offer a freezer for you? I don't have a larger freezer unit and am too far for your fishing area

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
sou cal
Name
Frank
Boat
Kayak
I've frozen vacuum packed fillets in a small ice chest with dry ice. It's a time consuming process and not sure how much fish you are planning to take back so not sure how this will work for you. But, it can be done. Obviously the more ice you use, the faster. Its good to have all your fish cut up, sealed, and prechilled before putting in ice chest. You can also freeze packs of fish in ice chests with regular ice cubes and a lot of salt but it takes longer and messier.

Kingfisher13

Nov 6, 2018
Oregon
Name
Jeff Fox
Boat
22 Osprey Northwind
Processors are in San Diego. If you decide to fish further south your in luck.
We are going to move around a bit. May try for WSB out of Ventura early in the trip then work down Long Beach to Dana Pt. for YT and tuna. Leaving the boat and coming down for another week in August. Will probably fish farther south, Dana to SD area on the second trip looking for BFT. We will see how it goes.

Dr. D

Jun 30, 2016
Kennewick
Name
Ken Howard
Boat
Northwest
I'm coming down to fish for the last week of July. I will probably launch somewhere in the Longbeach to newport area. Is there anywhere to store fish in the area? Don't think the hotel mini fridge is going to cut it. Or maybe it will if the fishing sucks for us.
I bought a 150$ mini freezer 3 years ago and have hauled to neah bay and long beach probable 15+ trips.