Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    The last reel was a Diawa, and it didn’t handle the salt very well even though it was advertised as a salt water reel.

How do these BG’s stand up?
    I’m not really worried too much about cost, as I would rather pay for good quality.

BG6500.jpeg

My BG 6500 with Saltist STW70MHFS; did the Alan Tani pre-service maintenance before it saw any SW. Been on 5-day and 8-day trips since 2017. That first trip was to Guadalupe. Is the designated 40 lb spinner. Will be in same slot for the 2021 Alan Tani SOA 8-day in October.

Usually mounted on rod and put out on rack before outbound boat even passes Pt. Loma. Removed from rod and rinsed with FW only after boat turns and starts return to barn. Once home, spool is removed and disassembled to remove drag stack. Stripped down spool with braid still on is put into the downstairs toilet's reservoir for a few days to leach out any salt. Spool is then removed and line is allowed to dry out before drag stack reassembly and storage until next trip.

Why did I not go with a SEALED spinner? Last time I checked, NONE of my conventionals are SEALED, and there're no intentions of submerging any reel (conventional or spinner) in SW. Diligent maintenance has so far allowed all my long range reels to withstand all the SW spray they've been subjected to on deck.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Arima-bob
    Arima-bob
    Arima-bob
    I never dunk them into the drink intentionally. If they get that far, they usually make it all the way to the bottom.
    Interesting maintenance itinerary, but it sounds like it has paid off well.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    Nobody has mentioned the Penn "sargus"...

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    You are getting good suggestions. Because of left-hand issues I now spend 2/3 of my offshore time fishing spinning gear (I can turn the handle, I can't fight the rod with a numb hand.)

My heavy is a Shimano Spheros 20000. You can get one for about $250, it is essentially a 2013 Stella for a quarter of the price. It holds 400 yards of 80# braid plus a cast-length topshot of mono or fluoro, and has whipped a bunch of tuna to 50 pounds, no trouble. If I was to buy another big gun, I would up the ante a bit and get the new Saragosa for a bit more money.

My other two saltwater reels are Fin Nor Lethal 100 and 60. Both are inexpensive, well within your budget, and complete tanks. Lots of schoolie tuna and big yellowtail. I followed the suggestions on the alanhawk.com website and that man tells it straight. I wish more SoCal tackle stores carried Fin Nor, I had to do internet shopping which I distrust. But completely happy with both reels. The thing that all three have in common is NO automatic bail trip. That is best.

Reactions: Arima-bob
    Upvote 0

Cheech

Sep 11, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    Name
    Jeff Cheechov
    Boat
    Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
    I picked up this Saltist 4500 at Melton yesterday. They were sold out on the 5000’s. Feels very stout, sealed gear case & no automatic bail trip. Nice bail & roller design. We’ll fish it with 65# braid.

484623FB-0D31-46B3-8FFE-E9813FFCB642.jpeg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Arima-bob and kimbo
    Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    I picked up this Saltist 4500 at Melton yesterday. They were sold out on the 5000’s. Feels very stout, sealed gear case & no automatic bail trip. Nice bail & roller design. We’ll fish it with 65# braid.

View attachment 1303553

Just be aware that the Magsealed bearings will require service by DaIwa since Daiwa doesn't sell its Mag fluid.

Upvote 0

JoshuaD

Surfing or fishing somewhere
    Nov 30, 2007
    Surfing or Fishing somewhere
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Livingston 155 “Sushi Zone”
    Another vote for the Penn Slammer 3, 4500. Great reel for 30lb. Have caught plenty of bass, barracuda, bonito, and a 60lb class BFT with a Slammer 3, 4500.

Upvote 0

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    The last reel was a Diawa, and it didn’t handle the salt very well even though it was advertised as a salt water reel.

How do these BG’s stand up?
    I’m not really worried too much about cost, as I would rather pay for good quality.
    They hang.

Upvote 0