Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I have a Calstar something something, 7’ 30# stick that needs a good reel. I don’t have a good knowledge of coffee grinders, so I’d appreciate some opinions. It’ll mostly be used for bait and maybe the occasional jig.

Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
bobsandsfishingtackle.com
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Hi AB.

Is the rod setup with Spinning guides or conventional guides??

Jamie

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Hi AB.

Is the rod setup with Spinning guides or conventional guides??

Jamie
It’s a spinning rod. 95% of my gear is conventional. I bought it probably ten years ago and the reel I had didn’t fare too well. I lost parts trying to clean it.

Reactions: sealskinner
Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I rarely use spinning gear besides my trout stuff. Every once in a while the spinner fills the niche, and I also like to have it for the inexperienced. Bird nests can ruin it for someone new.

Reactions: sealskinner
Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    If your budget is under $150 DAIWA BG.

If over $150 look at the reels mentioned above.

Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Love PENN.
    But Okuma has a reel made for Turners Californian.
    Crazy Drag. Power in the palm of your hands.
    I bought the 3000 , about $60-.
    Liked it so much, I went back and got the 4500.

BAAE59E9-8ADD-4C90-B30B-86628CE2CCB0.jpeg

CCC5566C-15AE-44E5-8C20-E7D21A252665.jpeg

Reactions: Arima-bob
    Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    The last reel was a Diawa, and it didn’t handle the salt very well even though it was advertised as a salt water reel.

How do these BG’s stand up?
    I’m not really worried too much about cost, as I would rather pay for good quality.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Desired Budget? You know the Gucci reels; Stella, Makaira Spinning, etc. I use Spinners A Lot in Oregon for Albacore, completely different mission but I have used Penns, Daiwa, Shimano and Van Staal. Lots of different price points/sizes. If you keep your gear mostly dry you have more choices than if you fish a more wet boat...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Cheech

Sep 11, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    Name
    Jeff Cheechov
    Boat
    Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
    Hi Bob. Also look at the Diawa Saltist 4500 as well. Set up for braid. Sealed roller line guide bearing, etc. Right now it’s also about what you can find. The local shops are getting thin on good gear.

Reactions: esgeo and Arima-bob
    Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
    Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    The last reel was a Diawa, and it didn’t handle the salt very well even though it was advertised as a salt water reel.

I’m not really worried too much about cost, as I would rather pay for good quality.
    I have 2 BG 8000. They're pretty heavy.

Dream to fish

Deck Swaby
    Jul 25, 2009
    Hell, CA
    Name
    Phil
    Boat
    20' Beachcraft Cuddy
    Lots of good options depending on how much you want to spend. The only spinning reel I have for saltwater at the moment is an Okuma Azores z40 that's on a 9ft salmon rod for surf fishing. 30lb braid, 20lb leader. I'm happy for just over $100 and I'll probably get a larger version for my ol trusty 9ft ugly stick when I get around to it.

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
    May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo

BG's are great for the price but not sealed at all.

Penn Spinfisher VI is sealed and I'd start there. The Penn Slammer III is another step up. Both reels proven in the surf so a splash on deck is a walk in the park. The new Slammer IV was just revealed so there may be a sale on the III's but don't hold your breath.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Van Staal VR 200 or 201 is an excellent choice if price is not much of an issue. These are the only quality spinning reels I know of that will tolerate a complete dunking in the salt with absolutely no ill effects. If you happen to hook a somewhat "larger model" on a Van Staal you will have a decent chance to kill the fish.

Shimano Spheros if you want a high quality spinner for a nice price, it is functionally a Saragosa for 30% less $$$.

As mentioned above, the Shimano Thunnus is a very nice Bait Runner spinning reel. Really easy for newbies to cast a 'dine with this reel. Better quality than the Shimano Bait Runner D spinner. If your guests will be fishing live bait this is likely the reel for you.

I have a few salt water Penn lower end spinning reels that have held up well and provide good service. Not quite as nice to fish as the others, but nice enough, durable and very affordable.

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    I should be careful with what I say 😂😂😂
    Those Van Staal’s look nice but they start at $500 and go up from there. If I were a spinning reel guy, I would probably drop the coin but since this rod will be used by me once in a great while, it’s mostly for the newbies. I do want good quality, but not so expensive that I’d shit a chicken if it took a swan dive in the drink.

I think if I keep the limit to $300 or less, there’s a lot of good options.

You all gave me a lot to look at, and way better than I found on my own.

Upvote 0

kimbo

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 24, 2008
    orange county
    Name
    Batman
    Boat
    21' cabo
    The new okuma cedros are pretty solid. I use mine for throwing poppers and stickbaits at tuna but the also works well for bait. I paid about $170 for the 14k model. No complaints with it.

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    Look... Listen... The old school shimano baitrunners are it. The 4500 with braid and a top shot. Flawless. Cheap on E-bay. And you will still have it 10 years from now.

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
    May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    If you have time to kill watch Tackle Advisors on YouTube. He breaks a lot of spinning reels down in moderately lengthy videos. Very familiar with sealed reels and their tech.

Reactions: Pacific Jigger
    Upvote 0