Mstonefish

Captain
Feb 6, 2003
Escondido
Name
Mark
Boat
22' Bayrunner CC 140 Suzuki 4 stroke
So I had this once before a long time ago at one of Aluminator's fish fry parties and since I had some fresh Ono I wanted to give it a try. I didn't follow a recipe, just a few things I remembered from how Dennis made it.

First cut your fresh Ono into small 1"x 2-3" pieces. Next marinade them in coconut milk for about 30-60 minutes. While marinating you can make your own batter, I used a mixture of Italian bread crumbs, Panko, flour and fresh flaked coconut. Batter up the fish after shaking off the excess coconut milk ( it is thick ) and fry in a pan of your favorite cooking oil for 4-6 minutes until golden brown.

I just made a batch and it was better than I remembered, not a single piece was left and everybody had seconds.......which is saying something as my daughter is not a fan of fish. It came out sweet and crispy..........now I just need to get another one before they are all gone!

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
You could coat wahoo in dog shit and it would still taste good.Gotta use fresh dog shit......of course.:)

Seriuosly though,wahoo is soo tasty.Its not too dense,not too light and flaky and the flavor is mellow not overbearing.
You could do a lot with this fish. Its my new favorite fish to eat.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
You could coat wahoo in dog shit and it would still taste good.Gotta use fresh dog shit......of course.:)

Seriuosly though,wahoo is soo tasty.Its not too dense,not too light and flaky and the flavor is mellow not overbearing.
You could do a lot with this fish. Its my new favorite fish to eat.

Trust me bro, I could find a way to screw it up LOL

But yeah, it's pretty damn good fish, and that recipe Mark just posted sounds fricken killer!!!! I think my girls would dig that one.

Let's go get another Mark! I'm shooting for maybe Thurs or Fri if nothing gets in my way!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

ALUMINATOR

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 16, 2003
North San Diego County
caspsolutions.com
Name
Dennis
Boat
27' self built
Mark,

Sounds close enough to taste good to me. Now all I have to do is put down my paint brush and try for one of my own.

Thursday and Friday sound good, maybe I should take you and Mike to show me how to catch one???

Upvote 0

CaptJgray

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
I do mine very similar except i toast and crush macadamia nuts and coat the fish in them, and then the panic and coconut mixture. after the macadamias dip the fish in the coconut milk or egg wash and then the panko. use the extra breading on shrimp...

lemon, caper beurre blanc and coconut rice is pretty damn good...

coconut rice is easy. 1 can coconut milk, 1 can water, 1 1/2 cans of jasmine rice. you can mix in some shredded coconut as well. add a couple stalks of lemon grass too or kaffir lime leaves

that yellowtail and lobster red curry works really well with wahoo BTW

Upvote 0